Personal View site logo
FreeFly MOVi - very expensive handheld stabilized system
  • 113 Replies sorted by
  • Once you have correctly balanced the camera, everthing works well. At the moment we balanced the Zenmuse with a GH3. (Also hand held) Limitation of the Zenmuse is, that it only can handle some cameras like Nex5/7 Gh2/3 MoVI could be a game changer because it can handle bigger cameras. And they are the first company doing this. DJI might be a little late

• Limitation of the Zenmuse is, that it only can handle some cameras like Nex5/7 Gh2/3 MoVI could be a game changer because it can handle bigger cameras. And they are the first company doing this. DJI might be a little late

Yep, but how long you can handle big camera?

• What do you mean? Airtime or ground operation? To heavy to hold like 6kg in your hands? Movi 3,5pds plus RED?

• This gadget will not require 3 skilled ops - shot rehearsals will not ever become obsolete : )

• Worst thing with this is horryble copy&paste among sites from one blog source.
    Repost without any cruicial thinking.
    Didn't it remain you of something?
    Yep, I mean Digital Bolex.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev The thing that bothers me is the sales pitch aiming to "revolutionise [sic] filmmaking". It takes just a few minutes in internet to find, for example, this 3 years old video:

• Are you talking to me? What do you mean with copy and paste? Sorry, I can't follow you???

• @warmupper

No one is talking to you here, click this - http://www.personal-view.com/news and check that I am talking about

• Chinese, please make quality copy ASAP.

• "o its a revolution, this the bestist video on vimeo, oh this is like the 5d all overagain, this is the biggets game changer since 5d" my word the people licking Laforet's arse for what is a gyro an some sticks from £5k not to mention need for electronic follow focus. LOL

• @Jizzyjones

It is not gyro. It only use small gyro sensors. Otherwise it is just simple construction, controller and three brushless drivers with position encoders.

• @Faudel

One you referenced is just in some factory or military variant, mems sensors inself are just very small chips.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev you should make videos like this guy :p

• @Faudel , thats not good, this will not work out in the space, no gravity ... :-)

• It's a new tool for the trade. Sure, others have mounted their gimbals to a handheld rig before and made a little youtube video, but Freefly made it sexy and paired up with people that have big followings.
    The sensors are the easy part. I think the hard part is writing the code that interprets the sensors and moves the motors. It's expensive now, but isn't every new piece of technology?

• If this is eventually available for under $500 per day rental then I'm renting for every job I shoot on water. I hope they weather proof it some what.

• The cheaper versions won't be far away.

image.jpg
    500 x 434 - 73K
  • This one works great ...

• Hats off personal view community! PV is the only community that does not blindly buy the 'revolution' hype and promotion from Laforet.

• Can someone post the specs of the motors? i have an openpilot controller for a Copter. It uses excellent MEMs for stabilization.

If you can build the carbon fiber rig, and find equally powerful and sensitive motors, the software electronics side is not that hard.

I read but don't completely believe, they built their own motors. With the small quantity they will sell of this that makes no sense. Even high end Hobby motors are made in the 10s of thousands or more. There must be a suitable direct drive motor available that can produce equal performance.

Remember with the MEMs, they are affordable because they are in every smart phone and every Wii controller. I'd like to build my own like this.

• If what MOVI is doing is such a no brainer then why isn't it a big selling item already in production and use everywhere? Too many people on this forum LIVE for the idea of being non conformist and going against the crowd, hating on guys like Bloom and Laforet for being successful and making some money pushing products... come on guys it's petty. As for the price, people are allowed to charge what they want to charge for their products and if the market doesn't support them that's the only real final judgment on that decision.

Seems to me they're trying to make a quality product that can handle any size camera and that's gonna make the cost higher. Also build quality is important. Everything can't cost $5.00. There seems to be no end to the number of technically knowledgeable members here so if you see a product that you think cost too much, go and figure out how to make one cheaper yourself. JUST STOP HATIN. We've been blessed with a ton of great cheap products, not everything is gonna fit into that niche.

• Ive been emailing MultiCopter and Accessory manufacturers for the past 12 mths trying to get them to adapt their gymbal system to a handheld device and ALL of them ignored me. Good on FreeFly for recognizing that there is a market for this type of stabilizer and doing something about it, even if it is a little out of my reach purchase wise.

I don't need 3 people to operate for my application, i will just do what i currently do, press exposure/Focus lock button on the GH1/2 and engage recording with button press or external shutter remote and start shootin".

• Ive been emailing MultiCopter and Accessory manufacturers for the past 12 mths trying to get them to adapt their gymbal system to a handheld device and ALL of them ignored me. Good on FreeFly for recognizing that there is a market for this type of stabilizer and doing something about it, even if it is a little out of my reach purchase wise.

May be it'll change soon :-) As I understand goal of FreeFly - they wanted to make solution for larger cameras.