Personal View site logo
Driftwood ClusterX series 2:│moon│ЅріzZ│nebula│drewnet│Slipstream │Redshift
  • 1053 Replies sorted by
  • @onionbrain I haven't started using it in comparisons yet but I plan to shortly. How big a step forward would you say it is from Cluster 7 and where do you notice the improvements the most?

I remember at high ISOs with Cluster 7 AN Sharp 2, the 60P modes yielded I-frames similar in size to CM Night but much lower than Crossfire 3 CM Night. If you get a chance to test 60P before I do, could you take a look at whether there's been much change in that area? I'll probably compare 24H modes first. :)

• I tested Moon Trial 5 by shooting my parents new dog, and i really like the result in terms of quality.

Shot with the 14-140 mm, smooth -2,-2,-1,-2 and at ISO 800. Only issue with the sandisk extreme 45 MB/s card, I was not able to play videos on my camera longer than approx. 30 seconds or so.

I also shot some videos on my crane and while I panned "fast" from left to right, some frames skipped several times. The SD card could be the problem, or does anyone else have the same issue?

• Shot using Moon Trial 5 and various lenses.

• @driftwood I was importing directly to fcpx ("optimized media" I thought was ProRes) which may be the problem like you suggested. After doing some research, it looks as though I need to change the the AVCHD files to ProRes in a separate program first before editing. Does this sound right?

Also, I sincerely appreciate the work you've put into these patches for all of us. Thank you so much.

• @joofmagoof, excellent test! Could you upload some original files on the dropbox? Specially first shot (focus on the river) and last one would be very informative.

• @joofmagoof In a word. CLIPWRAP.

Great work @Nameless

@Stiffla Looks good - if it isnt the card - it could be you're having problems in transcoding it correctly. What method are you using to edit?

@onionbrain Terrific demo of Cluster X DREWnet Trial 8 Andrew. Dedicated to you and your research. :-)

DON'T FORGET EVERYONE - ALWAYS RECORD A LITTLE CLIP AFTER A LONG SPANNED RECORDING BEFORE SWITCHING OFF.

• @onionbrain Thank you for your comment! I appreciate it! I like your vlog on youtube!

• @thepalalias Well, regarding Cluster 7 (AN, I'm assuming) -- the bottom line is that I don't use it now, but I am using Cluster X trial 8. AN was nice, and I liked it -- but -- I prefer trial 8. That's a gut/preference type response -- not based on pixel peeping.

My only complaint with Cluster X trial 8 is miniscule -- like 400% pixel peeping miniscule that no audience or distributor or partner in the universe is going to detect. Under certain conditions, when you zoom in to an extreme on certain parts of the image -- it's noisier than a no-stressed stock image. But -- this probably relates to improved recording of the actual image coming from the sensor -- so this "complaint" is probably entirely stupid and useless and not worth mentioning. So, that's it -- my only problem image wise with Trial 8 is extremely minimal.

I'll attempt to play with 720/60p on a stabilizer in the near term.

@driftwood The setting is a testament to how cool you are -- that you are responsive and considerate and you take people seriously. I remember the very first time I proposed a high bitrate long-gop (a 3x bitrate version of AVCCAM) in some thread somewhere on this forum. Another known developer answered "no" and spent two paragraphs telling me how stupid my request was. And then there was Driftwood -- who said it sounded interesting and he'll look into it. For this I thank you. And, although I'm MONTHS behind schedule, in fact there will be three historical documentary films broadcast on regional PBS and in libraries throughout the US this year produced using Driftwood's high bitrate long-gop. For this -- I thank you.

The truth is that I honestly believe the high bitrate long-gop brings the best out of the GH2 -- and makes it a sensible production option that guts the logic of mid range pro camcorders for large sensor type applications. Obviously, it's a dreadful ENG camera. But -- on the other hand -- there's no way in hell I can justify an FS100 or F3 or AF100 or C100 when the other option is 80 Mbps long-gop from a hacked GH2. Especially at 10 for the price of 1 type economics. This little piece of plastic just makes too much sense -- and we all credit VK for making it possible -- but you're the guy that made it make sense. Thank you.

• @onionbrain this is so wonderful to hear that you used hacked GH2 for such high profile work. I'ts really inspiring. I'm starting to work on a documentary for an European TV station, but filmed in the US. Would you be so kind to share what kind of set up you used and gear/lenses? These maybe too many questions, but I'd really appreciate whatever info you can spare:)

1. Would be very grateful to know what kind of post-production route you took - e.g. transcoding, editing software.

2. Also, did you have any problems with low light situations?

3. So there is no noticable difference between long GOP and Intra (like Moon)? I'd like to get maximum quality but preserve card space as well so Long GOP would be a smart choice.

@driftwood driftwood I have two 64Gb 45mb/s cards. Since Drewnet latest patch doesn't use really high bitrates, do you think it's safe to use these cards?

Thank you in advance

• Oooh, recently got 'Liked' by David Bowie's latest single video editor for one of the GH3 review videos on Vimeo I did. I just wonder if they used the Pany on their video shoot?

@mastroiani I tested DREWnet Trial 8 and Slipstreams on a 45mbps card and it seemed fine. But you may want to trial it.

@onionbrain Yeah DREWnet Trial 8 is looking a great Long GOP setting. I use it for static shots all the time.

• @mastroiani Thanks.

1) Copy the cards to a disk drive, import in to Premiere Pro CS6, edit, and export. That's it. No transcoding, and Premiere can deliver to almost anything.

The GH2 is a 24p (h) camera. That's what it does on a level that competes with cameras way out of its league. If you're delivering to a PAL market -- the big idea is that you film in 24p, produce in Premiere on a 24p sequence, and at the very end when it's time for final export -- you encode it out on a 1080/50i stream. Premiere Pro will handle the rest to make it work. For the hacked GH2 -- the notion that you need to film in the consumer implementation of "25p" in order to deliver to a PAL client -- is a very mediocre option that somewhat defeats the whole strength of the hacked GH2.

2) For low light -- ADD LIGHT. The whole "low light" thing is one of the most misunderstood concepts in the amateur/aspiring production community. Stuff that looks like low light from Hollywood -- wasn't actually filmed in low light. What you see on a screen may look dark with deep shadows and all -- but -- there was enough light on the production end of that scene to blow all the fuses in Afghanistan.

All cameras live on light -- they eat it. The Sony F65 would SUCK without enough light.

You can add light cheaply with work lights or whatever (always custom white balance), you can explore that whole new wondrous world of LED lights from China that span $20 to $2000 for almost the same product, I've successfully used high CRI, CFL bulbs in those multiple unit soft box type things from B&H, or you can spend a fortune on those obsolete Arri lights. Whatever you do -- you add light -- and learn how to shape it and use it. If you develop this skill -- it doesn’t matter if your GH2 isn't as good as a Sony F3.

Beyond that you can raise the levels in post on hacked GH2 footage a stop or two with good results.

3) I'd agree with that entirely. The qualification being "high bitrate long-gop," like Cluster X DREWnet trial 8 (not standard long-gop like the AVCHD variety). I tried to break it -- I aimed it at television static and at fast moving water with wide angle lenses. I couldn't do it. So, yes, I'd be entirely comfortable taking a high bitrate long-gop into any fast motion situation.

Enjoy the journey!

@driftwood I don't understand the "static" thing. I feel like people are missing something here. As mentioned above -- I threw everything at it and couldn't "break it" visually. It absolutely TROUNCES that Canon XF codec (50 Mbps, mpeg-2) that people rave about.

• @onionbrain Thanks! I've been waiting for you to toss your hat in the ring.

• @peternap Thanks, old friend. I'm certain you're busy as hell these days!

• The problem I face with Long gop patches is that my pc isn't fast enough so if a project goes over 10 mins, it starts to lag. Intra on the other hand, eats up too much space. I wonder what you think of Spizz or similiar 3gop settings? @onionbrain. I find them to be just right in terms of size and performance-wise. However, I wonder how it stands upto Drewnet X in terms of motion?

• @onionbrain The wonderful thing about Cluster X DREWnet Trials 7 & 8 is that they comfortably get down to incredibly low quantisation values of between Q8 to 16 - this is on a par with the best QP from the new GH3 BUT its doing it in smaller subblocks of 4x4 throughout the whole picture! (thats stunning providing tigher quanted detail) Its not suprising you love it :-)

I'll be doing some water/movement comparisons between moon and DREWnet to determine how each get on and the amount of bitrate used between them shortly.

• i am not sure, but Intra frame patches could output slightly better performance/quality on blacks/shadows, i am assuming this based on long gop mechanics, because long gop consumes lots of bit rate on initial intra frame, so there is less bit rate available for p and b frames to use......i would like if someone, with more technical knowledge, could comment on this encoding difference

• @dado023 Thats the whole point about prediction - predictive frames such as p/b DON'T require as much bitrate as i frames.

• but what happens when noise comes into play and to encoder it looks like there is lot of action going on, but actually it is noise going wild, ....sry for my ignorance, i am sure noise has been discussed many times, but not in concept of long gop

• The noise issue comes down to more than lighting it would seem. As an experiment, I filmed a few dark objects in a well lit room at 0 EV (the incident light reading from a meter) and progressively stopped down the lens -6 EV's, from f/2.8 to f/22. And what I discovered is that it's not so much low light but dark objects that make the noise apparrent. At proper exposures, noise is evident on a 'well lit' black object even though every light-colored object appears entirely noise free. It would seem as though the noise is always there but just gets masked by light. So, from my understanding, the ideal when shooting on the GH2 would be to avoid dark objects altogether - which is both impractical and aesthetically undesirable - or find a way to reduce the noise that exists in any given file.

Question (and I don't know whether it's even answerable or a proper question to ask): where on the luminance scale does the noise exist, or what is the average IRE of the noise put out by the GH2 sensor?

• @spacewig The sensor does not care how you get there. Say the gray value being recorded is 10 (on a scale of 0 to 255 where 0 is black). Now the sensor does not care if the pixle has a value of 10 because it is a properly exposed square of a material that has a value of 10 or if it is an underexposed square of a material that is supposed to have a value of say 120. If it is 10 when the sensor records it, then the only thing that matters is the ISO used. The snesor will treat them the same way, however you got there other than that.

That is why the exposure charts that comparison sites use just different values of gray to show how the camera handles over and underexposure (though they do so at the various ISOs).

The reason that my earlier advice can work is because you light/exposure those dark colors so they are not so dark when you are shooting (for instance you might light that square of value 10 gray all the way up to value 32 or something, not being specific here). Then you darken them in post (so that 32 is back down to 10 again). If the brighter parts overexpose, then you have to narrow the dynamic range in the scene you are shooting, either through filter or lighting or whatever else.

But the key is that for the GH2, over and underexposed are just values as they hit the sensor, not about how they get that way.

• @thepalalias Thanks for confirming and re-enforcing. I think that's an important distinction from what I previously understood to be the case. This concept represents a paradigm shift for me.

• @mastroiani I definitely advise to shoot 24p with the GH2, just like Sir Driftwood. But I'd take the final master in 24p and speed it up to 25p instead of having Premiere do it. It's a few clicks, I use Cinema Tools on the Mac, but there are many possibilities out there. This is the way movies were shown in Europe on TV for about a century (well, maybe 80 years) and nobody complained. It will be just a 4% speed-up, invisible to the general audience and no artifacts from synthesized frames. Sound will be pitched about a half-tone higher, but any good audio software can speed it up without pitch shift.

• Has anyone done an exhaustive test of Nebula? If Drewnet is good with motion, why would Nebula be needed?

@thepalalias In my film days, I worked out using a spot meter that the maximum difference in luminance of the lightest and darkest objects in shadowless light is about 3.2 stops. (I used a white car and black tires as markers on a cloudy day.)

So, if I have this right, a lighting ratio could be worked out that would ensure that dark objects recorded noise-free, to be pushed back down in post as you set out. Then, you could set up the lighting using an incident meter, greatly simplifying the problem.

For example, if the GH2's DR for noise-free blacks is 5.2 stops, You could set the base exposure with an incident reading at the camera, then take an incident reading in shadow. If the delta is less than 2 stops, you could drive on. If not, add fill light.

• @onionbrain

'Copy the cards to a disk drive, import in to Premiere Pro CS6, edit, and export. That's it. No transcoding,'

What are your thoughts on using 5DtoRGB?

• @CurtisMack Nebula is v good too. A lot of people prefer a shorter GOP (myself included with moon) where the i frames are closer together and there is less prediction. However its scalular - the shorter the GOP - the more bitrate is required to handle the higher avg of i frames in a second. With Long GOP, prediction frees up the memory hogging that short GOP requires by sampling sub blocks from the previous or future (as in B frames) i/P source frames used for prediction.

DREWnet is a very powerful version of traditional Long GOP as the i frames and low quantisation are running at maximum ensuring superior looking Intra frames and so forth sampled blocks - all running at around 80-88Mbps.

Nebula or other short GOPs arent quite as powerful on the QP /DC returned quantisation values but motion for me always looks better with fewer motion vector errors. All Intra is traditionally easier to edit but as onionbrain rightfully states in his video - with today's powerful computers - modern day cpus can easily handle the extra mathmatics to process Hi bitrate Long GOP. And prediction works very well in DREWnet - almost 99% free of artefacts. DREWnet users are happy to report that motion vector errors are few, if any.

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters