Personal View site logo
4K raw camera at upcoming NAB rumors
  • Rough translation made by one of our members:

We had so many problems with our video cameras lately. They are all outdated and price is hugely overblown. Look at our TV business, it is barely alive. Are we wanting to follow? We don't have much for uncoming NAB exhibition. And as I know one of competitors is preparing absolutely revolutional and cheap 4K resolution camera to be released at NAB. And it shoots this in raw. Imagine, 4K raw camera available for everyone! And where are we standing? Terrible!

Via: http://www.43rumors.com/affordable-4k-camera-from-panasonic/

Some specs leaked in last week on different sites:

• 4Kx4K square oversized m43 sensor
    • 13 stops dynamic range
    • Raw recording to external SSD
    • 120fps, but on what resolution?
    • No screen
    • Priced below BMC
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • Considering what you guys pulled last year on April Fool's day, I'm remaining in the skeptic camp. :P

• You should send it to him. I bet he'll get a kick out of it...

P.S. Still hopefull something big will be revealed at NAB.

• @kabuto1138

C'mon! That one took me at least two hours to tweak ;)

• @ oscillian

You got to work on your photoshop skills.

• Ok, so my contact at NAB finally managed to get a snapshot of Panny's new modular camera: The Micro Four Ones with ENG style handle attached. They are busy setting up some 4K shots for the booth net week and this is one of the master sets: "the bar scene". I for one am looking forward to using this for our upcoming wedding shoots, being able to pull stills from the 4K stream will add great value to our clients. Happy 2013-4/1!

Panny 4-1.jpg
    346 x 333 - 63K
  • I believe nothing that comes out March 31/April 1. It's most likely to be a hoax. Of course, a really good hoax would be to leak incredible specs, then actually build it.

• Yes! OMG, GMO, there was also a source from Guam that said it will have TSPS (Total Steam Power Sensor) and it will power itself on only sea water. Just 1 liter will last 365 days of continous shooting. Also a guy from Guantanamo had seen a preproduction model used to film interrogated prisoners. He said it was able to do mega-giga-hyper-ultra-4k-slomo at 4/3million frames per second.

EDIT

Hot news! Pricing confirmed by Alaskan deep-sore-throat-source at NAB. Will definately be under 1999 USD + includes free food stamps (brain only). 999 USD for no-brain version. Super active MFT mount confirmed.

• Last year at NAB:

ALSO: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RW93mpm-FhA&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRW93mpm-FhA Toward the end of this one a rep says that a modular 4k camera is in active development and that we would see something from them in "at least a year/year and a half"

• there was also info leaked about GF6 and G6 cameras coming out very soon, so unless a whole line of panasonic cameras coming out is an April fools joke it seems unlikely. I had the misses watch the video and the translation is pretty accurate. She also said if it is fake, he is a very good actor.

• it was on march 31 actually..but on japan was april 1st...so...

As I see video was online from March 30, so.

• it was on march 31 actually..but on japan was april 1st...so...

• It looks like that videos from Dharma Initiative :-)

• A historical leak on April Fool's? Hmm...

• Anyone hear any info on pricing?

• now panasonic is being reborn with thisnew tech.

for me, the have the best prosesors and image sensors for its class. Even now, old hpx500 looks simply amazing. in hope they bump their sensor tech.

big up for pana

• As for 4K, HD or 1080 will be like SD once 4K becomes mainstream to the home, even if it takes many years (decade?) to happen across the board. If we can now start to cost effectively record quality 4K at 422 and/or 444, yes please! That said, paid commercial work, budgets, deadlines and workflow, it may still be better to shoot certain projects for certain clients with a current 1080 camera, for now... Your view on the matter may vary.

@trevmar. Reference to GoPro, middle of page 8 >> http://digital.copcomm.com/i/115625/9 "show some new proof-of-concept technology" at NAB 2013.

• My contact is currently asleep and his was quite busy preparing for the show, but he said he would try to get some pictures of the camera later today :)

@kabuto1138

Not a DSLR, but with the grip attached it sort of fooled my source into thinking so :)

• I am using 2K7x1440 protune on the GoPro, it looks better than 1920x1080. The extra pixels are great because I can crop the image and still get YouTube-usable video... With a decent Panasonic lens I would be really happy.

That is, as long as the video isn't limited to 30 minute chunks... I have run GoPro for 3hrs+ (on external battery)

• I think the question at this point, that I feel really needs to be discussed is do we need 4k? I mean with the data rates, and 2k upresing so well, and so few viewing devices in 4k...should Panasonic really be jumping on this bandwagon?

• 4k RAW @ 120 FPS is really hard to work with.

• @Faudel

Hehe, exactly what I was thinking. I'd be pretty surprised if Panasonic churned out a modular RAW camera, but I guess if Sony's already done it (albeit at an upper price bracket), it's certainly possible. Anyways, it's about time Panasonic did something more than the dinosaur that the AF100 is.

• @oscillian It seems that red's lawyers will have more job and earn more money :p

• In another thread, oscillian mentions that this is specifically a Panasonic piece... I don't really think canon has the brains to do something so revolutionary. The mkII was a happy accident.

Vincent does have a lot of time booked at the canon booth though... Hmm, but he also never mentions a press release, or any brand specifically related to the new tech.

I don't really know what could be better than 4k, raw 13 stops DR, square ratio, MFT mount for less than a BMC.