Personal View site logo
4K Recorder and monitor - Convergent Design Odyssey 7 and 7Q
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • looks very interesting and if the announced SSDs really will be "very competitively priced" it seems that it's way cheaper to pimp a FS700 than with the original Sony recorder. Additionaly you get a monitor with focus assist, YRGB waveform, histogram, false color, vectorscope & zebras

• Even if its just the monitor, $1299 for an oled with scopes is more than half the price of smallhd's dp7pro sx with probably the same oled panel. I know which one I'd rather buy.

Edit: I didn't realise smallhd have a cheaper dp7 pro version for $1999. That's still a lot more for the same monitor features.

• @bimdas

I have huge doubt about price cuts. As they are selling MONITORS and are tight shut about recording options.

• So this is like Smallhd's top of the range oled monitor but at a lower price and with the option of it becoming a video recorder? This is just the thing to bring massive price cuts across the whole high end monitor spectrum. A very black magic thing to do.

• Price of the Odyssey7Q will be $2295 in US.

Both the Odyssey7 and Odyssey7Q are monitors only, but both can be upgraded to record via extra cost options. The Odyssey7 records a maximum of one video stream, and the Odyssey7Q supports up to four video streams.

• Can monitor four separate video streams simultaneously.
    • Record, with an extra cost feature, four separate video steams (cameras), simultaneously, to a compressed codec (initially Avid DNxHD) up to 30 fps for each.
    • Play simultaneously, four separate video streams, recorded in a compressed codec.
    • Record, with extra cost options, ARRIRAW or Canon Cinema Raw, plus a Proxy file, with the same filename, same timecode, same starting and ending points, to Avid DNxHD-36 simultaneously.
    • Odyssey7Q supports Avid DNxHD-36, industry standard for offline (Proxy) recording.
    • Can display various image analysis tools in four separate quadrants.
    • The Odyssey7Q supports up to four HD-SDI 3G Inputs and two HD-SDI 3G outputs or up to two HD-SDI 3G inputs and four HD-SDI 3G outputs.
    • The Odyssey7Q adds two bi-directional HD-SDI 3G connectors to the 2 inputs and 2 outputs of the Odyssey7.
    • Both models have HDMI input and HDMI output.
    • Supports high frame rates, up to 120 fps in both compressed codecs and full uncompressed. (The Odyssey7 supports up to 120 fps in full uncompressed only, not in compressed.)
    • Odyssey7Q will also support recording, with an extra cost feature, up to 240 fps, from certain cameras in specific modes, such as HD or 2K.
    • The Odyssey7Q has a built-in Four-Channel Live Switcher.
    • The Odyssey7 records a maximum of one video stream, and the Odyssey7Q supports up to four video streams.

Scheduled for July 2013.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

So it's just begging for a hack! ;-)

• Very interesting piece of kit. This approach 'could' shift the market, although the cynic in me thinks not. Either way, utility pricing within technology is taking place all around us, so why not hardware? Just look at our beloved GH2, capable of so much more, but Panasonic won't unleash it because it's a fixed price unit with a finite usage and shelf life.

I'd love a camera manufacturer to come out and offer a utility priced piece of hardware. £10/month for 2k/60p or 4:2:2 etc... Obviously hardware has to support it, but most stuff is intentionally crippled these days. Bravo Convergent Design, bravo!

• @last_SHIFT

They even told something that you could rent recording time on your purchased thing. I mean really, pay for few hours key, after this it turns back to monitor only.

• No prices for the 'downloadable upgrades?' So its basically itunes app store mentality here?

• Those are some mean specs and a very reasonable price point.

First, it is all preliminary and price point is for monitor only.

• Those are some mean specs and a very reasonable price point.