Personal View site logo
Panasonic Doubles Color Sensitivity in Sensors
  • Panasonic says its technology increases camera sensitivity by one whole stop. This means its cameras will theoretically produce the same level of noise at ISO 1600 as Bayer sensor-equipped cameras do at ISO 800

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official.data/data.dir/2013/02/en130204-6/en130204-6.html

Sounds very promising...

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • Way to go. Looks interesting.

• Interesting stuff. I won't pretend I understand the diagram, but I wonder how long before they start implementing it in their products? :)

• Even though they change the sensor sensitivity it wont probably change anything in 8Bit 4:2:0 codec cameras. or is this technology only be applied for pro level panasonic cameras with 10Bit 4:2:2, 12Bit 4:4:4 & 14 - 16Bit Raw codecs???

• Even though they change the sensor sensitivity it wont probably change anything in 8Bit 4:2:0 codec cameras. or is this technology only be applied for pro level panasonic cameras with 10Bit 4:2:2, 12Bit 4:4:4 & 14 - 16Bit Raw codecs???

Very strange statement. Do not mix codecs with sensors in your head.

Most probably it'll be applied to phone cameras first :-)

• I don't know why bayer sensors aren't using CMY filters. There's no problem with getting RGB data from CMY simply. That would increase the amount of light hitting each site. As well as offer potentially more accurate demosaicing.

• Thanks Vitaliy, very interesting. I note that they talk about "mobile" and "security camera" sectors. Consistent with planning new products 5 years in the pipeline, I guess. At least they are realistic about what the mass market will look like in 5 years time LOLOL.

I can't help thinking of an analogy with how the lack of human color perception allows TV systems to function with lower resolution color subcarriers, so maybe the reduced pixel resolution would be OK. Although it may be better than Bayer, but I doubt it. Differencing the levels from adjacent pixels on an array is fraught with difficulties and pixel-size accuracy errors, IMO. But I guess if the pixels are small enough, any color fringing and edges are going to be smoothed out by resizing, at least for video...

• We will see this sensor on the news cameras from Panasonic on April? Although I also think it's too early.

• No more bayer filter and AA filter? I'd like to see it applied on LX8.