Personal View site logo
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • ... or - turning counter clockwise charges the batterie AND formats the disk. It is a good idea to make data loss easy because me, the hipster filmmaker, always needs a lot of excuses!

• Why are there three female XLR and one male with 4 pins? Why do they have trouble putting it back together?

• @DrDave Because 3 females and a male are SO much more fun! It's a hipster thing I guess...

• Why are there three female XLR and one male with 4 pins?

See answer above, and fourth mape pin is used for backup if something unexpected happens with one of other pins :-)

• Laughing out loud here in Belgium!

• Argo (1979) was shot on digital bolex.

• @prince - that's ALMOST correct. It was shot on a Bolex REX. 16mm.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1024648/technical

• @rockroadpix carefull not the 2012 but the 1979 version........

• Argo (1979) was shot on digital bolex.

I always though that Joe reminds me of someone.
    I mean Einstein from BTTF.
    It also gives good hint on DB completion date - 2015.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev you can clearly see that in the 2012 version the camera guy (is he depp?) is looking through a digital bolex prototype viewfinder. Looking forward to 2015 then. Cheers.

• Since battery power and memory are what usually quit in the field I think the crank should increase both! Crank forward for 1GB each crank back adds 1 minute of power per crank.

• It may not function as a camera until 2015 but if you screw a 4 foot long stick under it instead of the pistol grip, you could use it as a driver when playing golf. Isn't golf pretty hip too?

• I've heard that when you turn the crank, money comes out to help you fund your indie feature...

• No really, if they could make the crank do real frame rate change, like varispeed unit, remember VSU on Arri's. Frame rate controlling digital-analog interface, that would be awesome, so anyone can make baked in time ramps, and light streaks, burned frames etc.

Other thing that crank can do is to whack the lens, on a special PB model of DB. That would be mechanical only, but steampunk designed.

If they make a camera, I'm sure they will have no problem implementing these features upon request :)

I'm may sound ironic, but I really am not, I'd like to see some "analog" features on digital cameras, we really need something more to play with. And hipsters will be hipsters that is unavoidable. Hipsters have raised the prices of lenses worth 50$ to 500$, people have ripped out any optical part from everything and selling it for ridiculous prices. Isn't it better to give hipsters things like digital bolex or something else digital to spend their money on.

So I believe that this thing is godsend, only obviously lost while shipping :)

• I've heard when you turn the crank, a small, perfectly-formed sausage comes out the pop-up dispenser, and at the same time stray cats and dogs mysteriously disappear.

• Digital Bolex just announced on their forum that sensor does not fit inside present camera body and it was real reason why they did not have live feed on latest exhibition. They'll need to redesign some elements and it could took a month or two. But as compensation they'll add extra compact flash cards slots, add another 3 XLR parellel connectors and 3 switches, so you could change connected mikes the fly for dramatic sound.

• The engineering team told me that image wasn’t quite perfect, but looked OK. I wasn’t sure what they meant, I guess I pictured something that was kinda flat or grey that could be pushed in post, after all we’re shooting raw!

What in fact was going on was a strange kind of vertical streaking and a quadrant problem. When the camera was still the problem wasn’t obvious, but when the camera was moving a lot you could see it.

I was up all night basically torturing myself with this question: Do we show the not so good images tomorrow? On one hand the images show how far we have come and how close we are to our goal, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that we can’t. There would simply be too many eyes on those images. We have come so far, even since SXSW, and I know that the people who have followed our progress would understand that the image will improve, but I don’t think everyone else would understand. I don’t want their first impression to be these imperfect images.

So we are going to wait to show footage till it is as good as we know it can be.

Via: http://www.digitalbolex.com/cameras-nab/

I told ya.

• They're missing the obvious solution. Just tell people not to ever move the camera. Then refund pre-order money so that people can order 2.5 of the new pocket BMCC.

• It is very strange to see some quadrant problems on CCD.

• Very telling how he describes it as a "strange kind of vertical streaking", I assume he's referring to the well-known issue of blooming that CCD sensors suffer from. Sounds like he and his engineers have never heard of this issue before - not reassuring at all.

• this baby was doomed from the start. and now they just ridicule themselves. farce is an understatement. besides nostalghia, what could be the reason to get this with black magics new announcements? Boy, when they started this it really sounded so romantic and reminded me of all the magic jonas mekas bolex stuff i had seen in my life. now they are obsessed to keep on playing, like a poker player who has a very good hand but actually knows he is beaten. if it was not for my entertainment, i would just say: bury this before it gets even worse. What could possibly be next???

• What's next?
    They will come to the conclusion, that they will have to find and integrate a new sensor. The new sensor will give you 4k for the same price, but it will take "some" additional time to get this done.

Thank good the D16 has a CRANK and eventually a turett. Something the BMCC will never have!

• no, they will announce an option to stick some BMCC to the turret!

• I have much better marketing advice. Cost millions.

Redesign DB and make it add on for automatic weapon with integrated 8x zoom.
    So everyone could shoot someone and have perfect raw footage.

• For documenting and surviving the coming global apocalypse.