Personal View site logo
Digital Bolex raw camera, no longer made
  • 1130 Replies sorted by
  • "…the camera is very, very close to being done"

"But from what I understand the image from the sensor to the recorded image on the drive isn't quite what they want just yet."

http://www.digitalbolex.com/forum/building-the-digital-bolex/seeing-is-believing/

• now, here we go, brutal truth:

• 11 1/2 minutes and not a single shot of a camera working. Ouch.

• @Alex

Boss in this video is at 0:40 :-)

• Wow, that was some real warm and cuddly fuzzy bullshit. Would have been nice to see something tangible, people working away tweaking image quality out of a sensor, testing noise floor of the xlr input etc, some actual technical tests. This still looks like a circus, an elaborate one but still a circus.

• At this point I don't believe slow speaking wannabe Johnny Depp can deliver this camera.

• At this point I don't believe slow speaking wannabe Johnny Depp can deliver this camera.

But they are cool, aren't they?

• Yeh really cool, so cool that my money's staying firmly in my pocket :-)

Just remembered that turret they showed in that video. Hilarious, imagine 3 Nikon primes on there, I don't think so.

• @arknox

Last video also shows how words do not match. You can find parts related to some other money financing. All financing things are extremely fuzzy, as kickstarter money must be all gone long ago. All serious guys talk about hippies, well, as big guys talk about children.

• Hippies indeed... in the worst possible sense. I´d rather trust any amount of money to my near 2 year old son to play with than throw any at the guy with the hat. Camera or not.

• @arknox There was plenty of substantial stuff in that video! People stuffing electronics into camera cases, ribbon cables, cubicles with oscilloscopes in them, more pictures of ribbon cables! Man, that stuff is HIGH TECH.

(With that said, a lens turret is pretty cool for a camera with a 16mm-sized sensor - while it may not accomodate 3 Nikkor SLR lenses, it'd probably do just fine with the lenses currently sitting on the lens turret of my 16mm Bolex).

• They probably went round some other random office and filmed people working :-)

• Once again, I'm really done speculating about the DB. HOWEVER, (I'll just speak to the vid qual itself) if I am doing a piece on a company. The ONE person that I would make sure is in focus, would be the president (russian dude). Seriously? It's a video about a new camera and the sound is crappy in a lot of places and they were too in love with f 1.5 to hold focus for the slightest movement.

• Can anyone explain what the leather shoulder thing that dude wears is all about?

• Can anyone explain what the leather shoulder thing that dude wears is all about?

That must be some kind of harness. He is chained to the chair until he finishes the damn bolex.

• They should have working cameras at NAB. :-)

• It will get too front heavy with that turret with 3 lenses attached... It would be nice if you had some super tiny lenses, but I cannot imagine 3 lenses size of a tokina 11-16, or canon 16-35 on a turret. Does this even matter? :)

• @inqb8tr The turret is designed for their "special" fixed aperture lenses, haven't you laughed at that vid? Its prime comedy look it up!

• Oh, thanks, I thought she mentioned m4/3 and EF mount, but I have obviously skipped the part with their lenses.

Ummm, aperture fixed, where at? Why? Now I get it! You get a turret with 3 pieces of the same lens, one fixed at 2.8, second at 5.6 and third at 11? :)

• The lens turret will also work for anybody with vintage 16mm glass.

• Why all the hate?

• Why all the hate?

Where you see hate here? We are discussing two hipsters and very shady firm that use them as PR :-) Really hope to see working product.

• As do I. Hopefully they can get one working for NAB.

• its supposed to be a c-mount turret. Joe wants this turret because he thinks (he said) that turrets are fun. The ability to run around with three lenses upfront ... Joe and Elle are their own target group. They are obviously building this camera for them selfs. I can't tell if there are enough kids out there, who like to carry a retro movie camera inorder to make this camera a commercial success. The pistolgrip, the crank, the turret and the design of the boddy make perfect sens inorder to build up emotions. Its the story that sells the product I guess.
    They should sneak in a Youtube ready mp4 format and cool retro look presets because this is what those turret loving people will need. They can discuss cinema DNG workflows and those minde blowing possibilities it opens up in post, but who wants a RAW workflow when it comes to quickly put all those walk-around-party-after-hour-road-movies on facebook and youtube?

Wouldn't it be even more fun if you could use the crank to upload clips to facebook? With each turn you upload 10MB. Its like rewinding film stock - awesome!

• Wouldn't it be even more fun if you could use the crank to upload clips to facebook? With each turn you upload 10MB. Its like rewinding film stock - awesome!

Perfect idea, just need some polishing.
    With each clockwise turn it must upload 100 bytes. So with time each user will have enourmosly strong right hands. It is useful, you know.

Add to this ability to charge camera if turning anticlockwise (1 minute of operation for 700 turns), and it'll be dream.