Personal View site logo
Corrupted MTS files
  • Yesterday i was filmed a play. And i have about 10 files recorded. When i open it up in the computer, only 2 files can be played! The rest of the files could not be opened with any player or editor! I am using a class 2 SD card. Is that a problem? Class 2 maybe its too slow? But after that, i try recording again, and yep all files could not be played until i formatted the SD card. After formating, everything seems fine. I lost hours and hours of footage. Can i rectify this problem so it wont happen again in the future? Is this an isolated problem or faced by many people in this forum
  • 3 Replies sorted by
  • try to reproduce the problem, and then do some tests with the lower quality modes to isolate if its the sd card. in the end, a 16gb class 10 is only about 30$. maybe you should invest. ;) im sorry for your lost footage though, i would have expected the camera to report such a problem!
  • Sorry to hear about your lost footage. If it happens again, check to see if the files are actually on the card. I've had a few occasions where Final Cut Pro 7 did not see the files on the card but I was able to copy and retrieve them with other tools like 5DtoRGB or MPEGStreamclip. For me it seems to happen when the battery dies during a shot. The MTS file appears to be closed properly but the clip info files must not be.
  • I also found a few corrupt files when using one of the 88mbit hack settings (showed up green in AE/Premiere). Strangely, the files played perfectly in Kigo Video Converter on the Mac, but wouldn't work in Premiere or AE. I haven't messed with it more to try an isolate what's causing it though.