Personal View site logo
GoPro Hero3 , 4K is here in Baby Steps for $399.99!
  • 642 Replies sorted by
  • so you cant buy a NOVO GP3???? that would be the ultimate pocket cam

• Yes this is ir cut off filter:) Vignete is visible in left up corner but it is mine mistake lens isn't in center of sensor.

@stonebat -just for fun:D You know-the Bob builder factor:D But it is little and cheap camera that you can put in to a pocket and make good quality videos:)

• @stonebat If you look at David Newman's blog you can see they have big plans for the GoPro. Wonderful time-lapse, and full documentary production with just GoPro cameras. I would not be at all surprised if there is a professional remote control/monitor accessory somewhere in the planning stages. So providing an external control signalling input seems logical to me.

http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rethinking-time-lapse.html also:

• @Maciozaurus It looks like you have an infrared filter visible in your 3rd photo (the one without the lens). Or is this the original lens? An ND filter, perhaps? Could you please give me more info on exactly what you did in your conversion?

I see the Tamron is a 1/1.8 objective. Did you test any smaller objective lenses and see when the vignetting becomes a problem?

• A simple question. Why? :)

• When I read about the Novo crew hacking the exposure settings with a second CPU, I assumed that there must be signalling through the connector which the LCD display plugs into to allow these exposure commands to be sent to the CPU in some kind of signalling protocol like the SPI used by Arduino. But I haven't spent any time on searching whether this has been documented anywhere. My experience with Protune is that exposure has not been a problem for me, due to Protune's compression of highs and lows.

• I made it by myself using turning lathe and 3D printer:) Now I want to buy GP3 Black but in Poland it is very expensive:) I know that NOVO crew hack GP3 exposure settings so maybe some day someone will do it for normal users:)

• I haven't tried this, but it looks like an interesting timelapse method.

http://cineform.blogspot.com.au/2012/12/rethinking-time-lapse.html

• I am jealous. What excellent work! Can you give us details of how you attached the lens mount -- and where you got that mount from?

• Hi Guys!

I saw NOVO camera and i want my own GP something similar here are results

I just made my GP2 c-mount adapter.

Now i will try to find solution to block exposure settings. Any idea?

6gfrc4.jpg
    1033 x 689 - 117K
    vo7pyq.jpg
    319 x 219 - 24K
    scrs3n.jpg
    319 x 213 - 24K
    2je3gi.jpg
    319 x 221 - 23K
  • @Rambo: What big arms you have Pa :) Love the ant :)

• Manno and Pa Do Thrill Hill

Doesn't everyone love a water-slide?? All GoPro HD Hero1 in 720p60 and two drowned rats.

• @bannedindv, thanks for the clarification. I just hope they eventually decide to mass produce it :) Check out this page and the images of the thing and tell it's not the cutest piece of gear that can do serious work, you've ever seen. It's so tiny!

http://www.radiantimages.com/index.php/cameras/hd-beyond/gopro/712-novo

• That gp3 mod is by Viewfactor - radiant images just consigns it for rental.

• @Aria Yes, GoPro Studio is pretty meaningless without the Cineform capability, and Protune 'enables' that. My newest camera doesn't get as hot as the old one. With 2K7cine 24T, the front panel only gets to 57C and not 60C (LOL). Heat would be a problem inside any redesigned casing...

But 2K7 is worth the struggle. Now if only GoPro would allow my cineform codec to handle 2K7 outside of their Studio software. My HDlink package tops out at 1920x1080. Sigh... Makes it impossible to process footage in Virtualdub without spending more on the Studio Pro package...

• @trevmar, yes that Radiant Images HD3 is pretty hot. I would buy that thing in a heartbeat if they ever decided to mass produce it. I'm really hoping GoPro will get into the Cinema side of things and make a unit that has an emphasis on the 2.7k or 4k side of things. Rehousing the tech they already have to make it much more robust and flexible. Perhaps this Radiant Images rehousing will stimulate them to go in that direction even faster. Clearly they see the interest in such things or else they wouldn't have done the Cineform and 2.7k stuff.

• @Aria - I want one! Any lightweight gear which can shoot protune will make things much easier when I travel :) And at least I don't have to worry about the 29 minutes limitation with GoPro :) Batteries used to be a problem, but I now feed the USB +5V from another battery...

• @GravitateMediaGroup Rambo makes water sports videos and uses GoPro's quite a bit. He also owns the biggest and best GoPro website around. While he does have a relationship with GoPro, he isn't a rep or an employee.

• Anyone else see this rehoused Go Pro Hero3 by Radiant Images?

Radiant HD3 photo Picture1_zpse9deac4a.png

Really cool way to make the Hero3 an interchangeable lens unit. It isn't a mass production product, but I hope they do decide to go that route. It allows C mount Lenses and it has a CPU to enable/disable Auto Exposure and digital Zoom checking for focus. Assignable buttons on the housing.

http://www.viewfactor.net/blog/?p=331

• @rambo don't you work for gopro? or are you a rep of some kind? sorry if I have you confused with another person.

• That's a hard question to answer, as anything bright or dark dominating the FOV will affect the shutter. Best to test by putting an ND on and taking a photo ( same setting will apply to video) and checking the exif data to attain shutter speed and iso, then add or remove till your in the ballpark of your required shutter speed. At best it will add some blur or mask curved rotating objects like props into a blur and can help hide jello from HF vibrations, but is hit or miss. However once shutter is low enough to allow blur, the iso will take over and shutter will not vary as much.

Start with ND4.

• Thanks, Rambo. I guess that's how they keep the cost down. What sort of ND filter do you need to force the shutter to around 1/60 sec in bright sunlight?

• Yep you guessed right, the camera reduces the shutter speed to compensate, you cannot lock the shutter. There is no iris in the GoPro cameras, the aperture is fixed at f2.8. In low light the cameras auto gain function will adjust the sensitivity of the sensor to keep the shutter from falling too low at the expense of a noisy image. You can attach ND filters, but that will only force the shutter speed down.