Personal View site logo
Judder Reducing Software ?
  • I hope this has not been covered as I have searched the site I founf the topic on Stutter Judder and Strobing but there did not seem to be any solutions

I wanted to see if anyone knows of any software to reduce the Judder effect of 25p 30p I am asking because I thought it was somthing I was just going to live with and be careful when recording.

But I was checking out some footage I had recorded and it had a little judder in it and I uploaded the footage to Vimeo and Youtube to See how it looked. And it was the same as playing on my Computer and never thought any more of it, until I was back at home and played both clips via the internet apps made for my home TV a Samsung D7000 and I was Shocked how Smooth the clips were no Judder and really smooth.

I firstly Thought it must be because its 50hz and a computer screen is 60hz. But then I remember the Samsung has a Judder reducing function so I turned it off and the clips looked just like they did on my Home and Works Computers.

I then Went through all the Different Smoothing and Judder Settings on the Samsung LED D7000 turning them off and on, some settings made the footage look very smooth and far to video like and And it got me thinking if a TV can do this on the Fly there must be some software that can do this.

I was hoping someone my know of such a program or plugin.

Thanks Craig R

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • I think that any NLE with good frame interpolation will do.

• I use FCP X at work and the frame Interpolation or Optical Flow As they call it can only be used if you Increase or decrease the time lenth of the Clip. Or I may be I am missing somthing, I will have a look Thanks Vitaliy.

I was just shocked and pleased how nice it looked on the Home TV compaired to the Works Expensive Monitors. I am going to hook My Works Mac direct into an older LED Tv at work and check the judder Settings or as samsung call it motion plus or somthing like that

Thanks Again

• Double the length of your clip using optical flow and double also the frame rate of your timeline.

• Thats a good Idea Alex I will have alook. My main issue is that Youtube and Vimeo do not support 50fps only 25fps for Pal Land and Max of 30fps and it ends up dumping 50% of the Frames and it looks juddery again but I will have a go Just to see what it looks like.

If Footage looked like it did today on my home tv all the time it would be amazing but I have to think what the end viewer/client will watch the short interviews on and 9 times out of 10 it will be a laptop or desktop computer so I have to get it looking as good as I can on a computer monitor with no judder reduction settings

• Craig_R, if you can't have more frames per second, you need to add motion blur to make it look smoother. In After Effects there is "CC Force Motion Blur" or buy the plugin "ReelSmart Motion Blur". But to be honest: Its not worth the hassle. Better make sure your shutter speed dose not exceed 1/50sec when shooting and avoid panning if possible ...

• I always use 180 degs on the shutter unless its slowmo and its interviews so no panning just good closeups and if the subject moves their head about to much and fast i see the judder in the head movement.

Thanks for the info I might have a look but i think i am being over anal and I bet the client would not even notice but I like to be happy with the footage.

• You must be doing something wrong to be getting judder and strobing. What's your workflow?

• @mrbill Well Normally I use a Driftwood Drewnet Patch ver X this time. Shoot at 25p, shutter at 50th of a second, Olympus 45mm f1.8 lens normally set around the f2.8 mark, Or I use a Nikkor 50mm set also around the F2 F2.8 Mark. Film Speed to 160 iso Profile Smooth -2-2-2-2 Final Cut Pro X editing either ingested straight in or via 5DtoRGB then imported in.

(Edited) Just Set the Gh2 to 50i which I have never really bothered with and its so smooth so I am going to have to put my Judder Down to inexperience with shooting with progressive.

I did find shooting 30p far better than 25p in my tests and since My client will only want the footage for YouTube I think I will gamble and shoot 30p at 1/50 shutter I know its breaking the 180 degs rule but it looks good to me.

I am going to strike this one as inexperience and far to many years shooting interlaced.

• All gh2 footage is progressive - it's just some of it is in an interlaced wrapper. I think your nle isn't interpreting your footage correctly.