Personal View site logo
Century anamorphic lens, how to get better image quality.
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • Maybe, @CRFilms, but I'm only interested in the anamorphics that allow for full visual grammar so ETC and long lens solutions aren't useful to me. That's why I'll, regardless of how lovely the glass is, never mess with any of those attachments originally designed for the 8mm cameras. At least with the 16mm solutions there's still enough coverage for a semi-decent wide-ish shot. You're already hamstring'd with those rendering follow-focus an impossibility so I'll pass.

• OK, it was only "lens whacking" without the proper step-up ring, but a Kern Switar 10mm works OK with the Century in ETC.

• @BurnetRhoades that test video you posted is mine. No diopters used, just the Century Optics 1.33x. Mine is the focusable version though, that might make a difference. It's quite a large piece of glass.

I also have the LA7200 (and about 3 other anamorphics :)). I've chopped the front hood off the LA7200 and can use it with the 14/2.5, 14-45 and 14-140 no problem. My Tokina 11-16 works too, but I can't remember to which focal lenght it works. Will test later.

• @itimjim Interesting. Could you maybe post a pic of that Century? Is it dual-focus or is it a modified version of the more common variety?

• Sure...

It's dual focus.

image2.jpg
    640 x 480 - 60K
    image3.jpg
    640 x 480 - 50K
    image4.jpg
    640 x 480 - 55K
  • Whoah! Where did you get that? I've never seen that model before, not even on their website back when I was looking at them for a friend who wanted one for his GL1 or GL2, I forget which.

• @BurnetRhoades I got it from @LPowell (Lee) on this site. It's got a step-up ring as well as the original bayonet mount.

• You can still find that model in some camera stores, for around $1500. Century Optics used to clear out these lenses for $99.

The 37mm version could be modified to a wider thread on the back. I did it once with one of their wide angle converters.

• @jleo I believe the BBC snapped a lot of them up from Century when they cleared the shelved. Not sure about $1500, seems a bit much.

• I still see them in some movie supply houses sitting on the shelves.

http://www.whcamera.com/centuryoptics133xanamorphicfocusableconverter.aspx

One of our local camera shops had a clearance of Century anamorphic adapters for around $200. All gone now,

• @nomad can't speak to 14 on century, but used it without problem on a la7200 I had borrowed from a friend and was playing around with a while back. That said, the 25 leica looked much better.