Personal View site logo
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • 5D2RGB and yes a touch of grade but I'm seeing every inch of shadow and highlight from deep shade to sunny sky with MoonTrial3.

Can we rename Moon to 'Russian Meteor' to mix it's Russian roots with Astronomy :D?

Screen Shot 2013-02-15 at 8.00.17 PM.png
    2878 x 1228 - 6M
  • Another thing, GOP Related patches in ptools if you look at flow motion - even though the bitrate reads 99000000 (nearly 100Mbps) this is also true of other settings including stuff Ive done in the past - where GOP Related is set at underwhelming IPB weights as in;- lets use 720p60 flowmo 202 as an example;-

720p60 Opt1 GOP Table=2, 15, 0, 0, 48, 0 = GOP 65 !!!!

Its doesnt physically look like that when you see it in Streameye or Streamparser but nevertheless the bitrate has been given a percentage ratio for weighting (more numbers here utilises less quant/bitrate). Its another way to factor rate control and stability.

Look at how much bitrate weight has been taken off the above. 2 for i frames, 5 for P frames and 28 for b frames for 1080i60 and 720p60 2 for i frames, 15 for P frames and 48 for b frames. This has had to be done to stabilise the setting to work at a peak bitrate on a death chart or very busy detailed scene but what actually also happens is that normal scene recordings receive an underewhelming use of the bitrate stated. Its just one way of going about spreading the bitrate but is not actually in theory the correct way.

Cluster X like moon is wanting to put the GOP Related balance back to how it should be - for example;

720p60 3 GOP would be as follows;- 1 for i frames, 2 for Top field p frames or 0 and 2 for Top field b frames as in;-

1, 0, 0, 0, 2, 0 = GOP3 with b frames 1, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0 = GOP3 using P frames.

And then use quantisation values and matrices along with the available bitrate to balance rate control. This way Ive found scenes with less detail get solid quant and use of bitrate.

This will be more apparent in the next Trial. Its already correctly being employed in 1080p24 during trials 3 and 4 :-)

• @driftwood Not sure that's a compliment or not? hahaha

• @WhiteRabbit A balanced spread :-) Did you know the 5DmkIII doesnt use scaling matrices at all. Quite common actually. You can do everything using a decent QP setting along with supporting bitrate. We have a tad more control with the GH2-GH3.

• @vicharris GOP Related method of balancing has been done since the start - its NOT unique.

My theory has changed since analysing the GH3.

@kellar42 Im inclined to agree with you - for me Trial 3 is the best 1080p24 so far. I like the flatter look for grading despite people's requests for a sharper looking 'in camera' image. LOL at your name suggestion.

• @driftwood Huh? The what and the what?

I was talking about your response to my HVX200 comment! I don't get involved with all that smart stuff you do. Too much for my brain to handle. I ask an 11 year old what looks better and go with that one! :)

• @vicharris I shouldn't reply after going out on the piss! ;-) Yep, if it works for you/ your kid, stay with it. Film.

• @driftwood, the balanced sharpness, noted. A lot of the talk about what you do 'under the hood' is a little above my pay grade. I gather bits of information, however, sometimes I say to myself as I read, "woosh". Thanks again, off to work now.

• @driftwood BTW, don't know if you got a chance to check it out but I shot a resort promo in Key West with IV2 if you missed it. Clients loved it! Thanks sir!!

• any other settings you guys rec. for 16gb sdxc 95mbps?

• @jclmedia Just wait for trial 5 or stick with FM. You said you are happy with the results FM has given you.

• @Driftwood

Maybe this is an unanswerable question/one with many answers, but what picture profile settings are your patches designed to be used with? I never have been able to find a thread with consensus on what the best picture profile and settings are for a flat gradable GH2 image. If you have a couple suggested setups, perhaps you could stick them at the beginning of your topics along with the patch descriptions.

• ++ for moon trial 3 matrix ;-)

• @b3guy I don't think they are designed with any profile in mind. I think it comes down to personal pref. or whatever works best for what you are shooting. There are a few topics where people talk about which profiles perform best "in their opinion" but there are a few that have tried to put a little science behind their theory's, as far as what works best with grading, and B&W has less noise and so on.

• @kellar42 what seettings do you have for I.dynamic range and I.resolution on your gh2?

• Yes, +1 to trial3 matrix.

• Some stills from a short fiction project I worked on as a DoP. Shot with Moon trial 3, all using the voigtlander 25 mm. Really like this, can't wait to learn about grading.

Schermafbeelding 2013-02-16 om 11.40.24.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-16 om 11.43.37.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
    Schermafbeelding 2013-02-16 om 12.23.58.png
    1440 x 900 - 1M
  • Looks nice, just try to avoid hard lights in interiors/medium closeups (still #1 #3)

• @sicovdplas

perhaps they didn't want high-key lighting. Hard lights and a high lighting ratio may be a better fit for the scene/film. There are such things as creative choices.

@bressonftw

I look forward to seeing the shots graded. I particularly enjoy the framing of #1 and #2. What lenses did you use for these three setups?

• Scratch that... Voigtlander 25mm... Should have reread your post. :)

• @Bressonftw Was just thinking the Voightlanders would look good with Moon last night. Glad you proved it for me. Thanks for posting. Looks very nice. Would love to see finished product.

• @lmackreath off and off!

@driftwood thank you for the confirmation on trial 3 24p and can't wait to try 5.

Serious filming since early this morning and Moon 3 continues to really hold up in tough, tough conditions with Panasonic lenses, no less. Now the only problem is I just bought more memory but I think I need even more...four 32GB Extreme Pros are absolutely full and I could have used about half of another card and it was only a half day. Scared to bring my laptop out there for offloading.

• @sicovdplas Yes, hard lighting on actors tends to completely betray any cinematic aspirations with these digital cameras. Hopefully the grading session "takes the curse off".

• Just installed and tested "moon 4". Amazin! The sharpness is very nice, grain looks very good. Grading is insane, no traces of the use of grading, just beautiful. The only thing that wasnt so good, was in the unlighted zones, some shadows had huge blocks of different colors: that can be quickly removed with a little of contrast. It´s a huge upgrade from "C7 sharp 2" mostly in the grading performance. THANKS!

• After i spend some time playing with 'Moon trial 4', here are my thoughts: 'Moon 3' is for me the best setting Nick has ever released ! But... i'm really smitten by the sharpness of 'Moon 4' - it's awesome ! So my suggestion is to merge 'Moon 3' with 'Moon 4' and combine it with the lowest QP as possible. This would be an unbeatable setting for the GH2 !!

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters