Personal View site logo
Genus Eclipse Variable ND Filter , pictures, resolution and colorshift
  • Here are some test pictures with Genus Eclipse ... Voigtländer nokton 25mm at f2.0 and old Tokina 200mm/ f3.5 it does not seem to have any problems and no color shift ... Included pictures in full resolution ... Later on coming a video test and if I get some zoom lenses to test more ...

• 33 Replies sorted by
  • You bought it. Sweet. So I take it you like it? Looks pretty damn good so far. Hell of a lot better than the LCW Fader. No way You'd be able to use it at 200mm.

• @vicharris , so far i like it very much, it looks like it does not distort or affect a resolution. Silly i don't have other zoom lenses, my Soligor does have now some problem with aperture ring :-(

I do have a 77mm version (outer filter thread is 82mm, perhaps to avoid problems with wide angle lenses .

• You would see a huge difference with the 200mm. I really don't think you need to test anymore. It seems to be a winner for a bargain price. Thanks again and ordering mine right now.

• @feha thanks for taking the time to do this.

• Anyone one a LCW ND Fader II for a coaster? It'll protect you fine wood furniture really well!!

• Not to be confused with the non Eclipse model that's also available.

• @Rambo Yep, I bought that one by accident and missed the return window. Going to sell it too. Same piece of crap as the LCW Fader

• I was making the same mistake confsing the Eclipse with the other Genustech filter. I couldn't find the Eclipse for sale anywhere other than the Genustech website. All other retailers I could find carry the older model.

• @DanPV, yep, you need to order it direct from them. It's still well priced.

• Some resellers are still selling the older Genustech "non Eclipse" model marked as "NEW" so be aware. Prices are similar also.

• @feha, Thanks. I had my eye on this Fader too. Was wondering if it was as good as they claimed.

• Thank you for feedback, I'm glad if this test helped you a bit. Yes the "Eclipse" is much different and I attached the photo below of the package too.

Genus_Eclipse_Vari_ND.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 139K
  • any cheap link in Europe for this filter ?

• You can only buy it from the website

• @feha What do you still think of the fader? Good buy?

Any any new companies with new faders? I heard Lightcraft came out with a new model. I still see a light color shift. I wonder how it compares to the Genus Eclipse.

• @tinyrobot , sorry i don't own any new ND from Light Craft, I'm very satisfied with Eclipse Genus ...

• Just got the genus eclipse. Is it just me or are the filter threads weird? Tried to attach it to the 35-100 but I''m afraid to damage the filter thread on the lens :/

• @Gamer_s , i have a 77mm version so i can't answer (58mm ?). I use Cordvision Cine rings 77mm to 58 mm and Genus Eclipse 77mm works OK. If you use an UV filter between it may solve your problem.

• @Gamer_s Hmm, that reminds me of the genus eclipse on my 35-100, it feels a bit 'loose', i can't get it to tighten, going around in circles...

• Hm, that kinda sucks. The filter thread on the eclipse doesn't even look like a screw in thread, they just look parallel. Is this some kind of vari nd standard or did I just get a bad copy? Guess I'll just have to contact genus...

• @manstok so this is how they're designed? Weird. I guess the only solution would be to exchange it for a bigger one and use stepper rings like feha

• @feha are you able to turn the eclipse all the way in on the stepper ring, or just 1/2 to 1 revolution?

• @Gamer_s , all the way in ...

Eclipse1.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 565K
    Eclipse2.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 171K