Personal View site logo
Lighting effect advice
  • Hello, I am shooting an upcoming project in a space similar to this and I wish to get the attached lighting effect using my GH2 25mm and 85mm rokinon cine lenses 1.4

images attached

any advice on settings, what hack to use, or how to get this lighting? is it simply a florescent?

I would be SO thankful

• 9 Replies sorted by
  • Single overhead fluorescent and a haze machine.

Keep an eye out for the flicker that sometimes accompanies shooting under these lights.

• If you don't have a haze machine grab a 77mm haze filter.

• Filter won't help here.

Just get smoke bomb, it'll be enough, I think.

• Let the haze spread out for a while until it is almost gone. Otherwise it gets to foggy.

• Why wont a filter help? They've been used for years in Hollywood to replicate this exact look.Yes it won't be exactly like this but you won't be spending precious time getting the smoke right for continuity sake.

• No, they've been used to cheese a look, and not exactly. Neither of the shots would look anything like the example pictures, if using some Glamour Shots diffusion monstrosity. The second shot though is impossible for a filter to emulate in any way because the visible light source is occluded by the pillar.

Just say "no" to frost.

• Yep, flo lights and haze from fog. Also, open up your aperture on your widest lens for a soft look in this situation.

• A haze filter only works if you're shooting a close up that's supposed to be in a scene like this. You can only get this volumetric lighting look with real aerial diffusion.

Rosco has a "diffusion in a can" product that's okay--though better for smaller rooms.

You can use a hazer and get this look easily. If you use a fogger the fog tends to clump up and swirl and you need to wait until it evens out. (or blows away. That often happens first.)

If you were to shoot a hard light through this same setup you'd get a "Jesus rays" effect.

I'm kind of addicted to fogging scenes like this. Even a little bit of fog gives you a more interesting scene. Watch out for back lights, though, as they tend to explode when they hit the fog and suddenly you have a huge white blob.