Personal View site logo
Cinematic m43 lenses
  • 82 Replies sorted by
  • I always thought that "cinematic" look has only to do with choosing the correct shutter speed and grading the footage so that it looks "anti plastic".

It's a lot of factors, ultimately. 2D, 3D and 4D. People that don't understand this want an easy answer. They want only one or two things to keep in mind, either the camera they select, the lens they select or the basic settings of these tools, so that they can tick their check boxes and not have to think about it anymore.

And these people will always be searching. Never finding.

Here's a basic question to ask yourself when you think you've got a rule figured out or you're told by someone "this is what you have to do". Ask yourself, "does this "rule" have any real effect on a still frame taken from my movie, seen out of context? Does this "rule" matter at all?"

I say ask yourself this because you can pull a single frame, anywhere in a film, from any Ford or Kurusawa or Leone or Scott Bros., to name just a few, or any motion picture shot by Storaro, Toll, Toland, Cronenweth, Cundey, etc., etc. and that image is obviously from a motion picture. That image will obviously carry the very essence of "cinematic"...and it's not even moving.

You can kill the cinematic feel of your motion picture by not respecting the psychology of the moving image and play fast and loose with your frame rate and shutter speed (like Michael Mann when he first went digital). But this one technical detail doesn't define "cinematic". It's irrelevant to the truth in the still image question.

Grading, like it exists today, didn't exist in the days of early cinematic masterpieces. The looks of these films were defined by far fewer controls, through photo-chemical processes that affected the inherent look of a particular film stock and its specific response to light and color. And with that in mind amazingly cinematic motion pictures have been created in a variety of looks from high contrast to flashed and milky, punchy colors and desaturated, grainy and exceedingly fine.

So, grading and look is certainly involved in the final perception of an image, using the still frame test, but for every "rule" you look for there is an equally valid counter to that assumption that "this is key". It is more relevant than shutter speed though.

It's also got nothing to do with the aperture of the film gate or sensor size of the camera. Certain characteristics of larger and smaller cameras have their aesthetic charms but there is no consistency in more or less cinematic here either. Great looking, cinematic creations have been shot on monsterous 15-perf 65mm all the way down to non-super 16mm size. So, go after what you want here but, sad to say, this isn't anywhere close to the answer either.

edit: this topic, and those like it, are difficult to discuss in forums such as this because there are too many folks who don't want to hear that it's a bigger issue than a switch or a button or a plug-in. They don't like feeling the pressure to try to understand something that overwhelms them so they'll try to shut it down, even though their participation in the discussion is completely by their own choice. That's not directed at anyone in particular, just an observation going back to the dawn of public forums. And I'm as guilty as anyone of contributing to this reality.

• I always thought that "cinematic" look has only to do with choosing the correct shutter speed and grading the footage so that it looks "anti plastic".

A low fstop helps, but not necessarily, films should be pieces of art and it's pretty hard to make art if you're trying hard to follow rules. Those two things hardly go together, maybe a little bit, only to a certain point...

• @HillTop1 Just a heads up, go for the older version of that lens. The 28-70 2.6-28 one. The newer ones are not that good in comparison. BTW, it's almost impossible to rack focus with it because the focus ring is so damn tight.

• Please tell me we're not having the cinematic conversation again?!

Every talk ends up either about being cinematic, or F stop, or equivalent lens focal length, or sex.

• Please tell me we're not having the cinematic conversation again?!

Any lens can look cinematic if used properly. Any camera can look cinematic if used properly. Why don't our cameras look cinematic? Because we don't use them properly (me included...a 1000 times).

Can we use a dreamy f1.4 and faster lens and convince ourselves we're making cinematic images? You bet your ass.

• DSLR zooms are nice only if one recognizes "cinametic" looks don't require f2.0 or faster aperture. Just make sure that you get enough magnification ratio. If you need higher ratio, macro lens or native m43 lenses can help.

There are good reasons to get extreme close up shots. http://www.videomaker.com/videonews/2012/11/6-reasons-to-get-an-extreme-closeup-shot That might affect one's lens choice. Sure we talk about matching colors, sharpness, look&feel, bokeh, etc. But the most important thing seems capturing desired framing. Some call it storytelling framing.

• How about adding a fast zoom? Something like the tokina 28-70mm atx-pro1 f2.8

• @oscillian Yes FL 55mm 1.2 looks very nice. This year Samyang 50mm and Nokton 42.5mm and more tele lenses available. I can wait and see.

@Flaaandeeers Yes I used to. It was a very good lens, but the FD lens was good enough for me. After selling it, I bought M.Zuiko 45mm 1.8 again at $315. Great value. Awesome for photos, too.

• @stonebat don't you use the Nokton 58 1.4 in your set?

• @stonebat Check out the Canon FL 55 1.2! I have the same setup as you minus the 17.5 and changed my FD 50 1.4 to the FL. Sure, it's much pricier but it matches the Voigtlanders even wide open.

• All from my set except the FD lens can have relatively high maximum magnification ratio and minimal lens breathing.

Also I have a set of Lumix 14mm and 20mm pancakes and M.Zuiko 45mm 1.8. Very sharp at max aperture. Well balanced on Gh2. Relatively low cost.

Horses for courses.

• After using gh2 for more than a year now and researching lenses with character for it I'd have to say the same thing : stonebats set is the way to go !

• @christianhubbard - All f2.8 except for the 50 which is 1.7

• @artiswar what f-stops on those? where did you buy them? ebay?

• @TheRuggedAdventurer

I'm not super happy about the Canon FD at max aperture. But it's good enough. Cheap. It can be declicked easily.

Alternatively OM 50mm 1.4, Hexanon 40mm 1.8, AI-s 50mm 1.4.

All those legacy lenses are sharp at 2.8. That might sound meh. But most modern lenses are sharp at 2.0 or 2.8 at best.

• @stonebat Your collection is personally my favorite set of primes for the gh2

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev - Exactly. Especially in my over priced local market.

• Google Picasa app used to display Panasonic M43 raw files without distortion correction. Some people tested it out and images from the Leica lens showed distortion as much as Lumix 20mm's.

• @stonebat

Leica DG 25mm 1.4 gets in-body distortion correction treatment :)

How can you tell?

• I'm not sure about "cinamatic" lenses. But here's my prime set.

SLR Magic 12mm 1.6 Nokton 17.5mm 25mm 0.95 Canon FD 50mm 1.4

image.jpg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • @artiswar

One smart thing is that resale value of Zeiss lenses is usually better :-)

• @christianhubbard - I guess it depends on your definition of cheap. I could have picked up the Rokinon/Samyang set for $1500 for 24, 35, 85 but ended up with Zeiss C/Y 28, 35, 50, and 85 for $1600.

• @LPowell Leica DG 25mm 1.4 gets in-body distortion correction treatment :)

• @artiswar i disagree. I've been looking for over a month and havent found a single thing for cheap.

Then again i'm not looking for cheap variations of bargain glass.

• Recently opted for some Contax glass so I hope to do a little video covering the price, quality, sharpness, etc. more comprehensively. A set can be had for CHEAP if you search long enough.