Personal View site logo
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia (movie)
  • I recommend watching this movie, is a visual jewel heiress Tarkovsky film.

As script is a bit difficult especially at the end and possibly left over footage, while seemingly a mixture of drama and road movie conventional. It is a very intimate film, very slow with many long still shots, but in a plastic stunningly beautiful, I love the night shots in it, are a delight to behold.

Nuri Bilge Ceylan is the director of it, while cinematography is by Gökhan Tiryaki. It was shot with a Sony F35. Winner of Cannes 2011.

• 3 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks manu posting this. Yes Nuri Bilge Ceylan is one of the most interesting director imo. His style was much more tarkovsky at the earlier stuff but he is finding his own way. It is always simple stories, cheaply made but very powerfull cinematography. You can also see in his works that he was photographer before, this long slow shots, lots of still frames.

• This was my favorite film of Ceylan's, surpassing my previous favorite Uzak (Distant). It's beautifully shot with, in my opinion, more owed stylistically to Kiarostami than Tarkovsky this time around: the shot of the apple rolling down the hill is a direct quote from Kiarostami's Close-Up, and the many landscape shots of cars driving through the hills of Anatolia are also found throughout Kiarostami's films. Ceylan inserts an expected amount of humor in the film, although you have to be a patient and observant viewer to recognize it at times. The cinematography is beautiful and the blu-ray from Cinema Guild looks great.

• Yep, a masterpiece. Some night sequence with car lights are just... Perfect. I ve just tried to copy that tonight. :-)