Personal View site logo
Video-Friendly Lenses for Lumix DSLRs
  • 211 Replies sorted by
  • Which perform better, Tokina AT-X 28-70mm f2.8 Pro I or Pro II?

• @arson519 - Pretty sure you picked up the Micro 4/3 19mm & 30mm rather than 4/3.

• @LPowell i just bought sigma 19mm and 30mm 4/3 mount yesterday :)

the two are being sold together for 199 on Bnhphoto dont know how long deal will last also im looking at picking up the tokina 28-70

• @kronstadt Purpose of this topic was to discuss video-friendly lenses. In other words attributes that make lenses a great choice for video, and not for stills. @LPowell has stated some fairly key criteria for video-friendly lenses, things like non-rotating/extending barrel on focus, direct couples focus, aperture ring, constant aperture, etc....

Sigma 8-16 couldn't be any further away from being 'video-friendly' if you tried. However, it'll work, of course...it's just not friendly.

• @LPowell what about Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 ??? (If it works as a manual focus lens on GH2 or GH1, it would be a great wide-angle rectilinear solution for m43)

• @arson519 I've used the Sigma 20mm, 24mm, and 28mm in Nikon mount, and the Sigma 30mm in Four Thirds mount. The first three lenses are not available in the Four Thirds mount, but they come with a manual aperture ring on the Nikon mount, which is what I recommend. The Nikon version of the Sigma 30mm lacks a manual aperture ring, but it is available in an auto-focus Four Thirds version.

• Sigma 20mm f1.8

Sigma 24mm f1.8

Sigma 28mm f1.8

Sigma 30mm f1.4 HSM etc.... listed on the first page

what kind of mount do you suggest i get for the sigma's???? the canon or nikon or doesnt matter?

• Canon FD 50mm f/1.4

• Manual aperture ring: ?
    • Direct-coupled focus ring: ?
    • Proper focus ring rotation: ?
    • Non-rotating outer barrel: ?
    • Non-extending outer barrel: ?
    • Constant field of view: ?

Can someone help me with this one, been looking around but can't find an answer.

• @HillTop1 I have the 24, 28 and 55 Nikkor's and love them all. IMO they are must have.

• Nikkor AF 28-105 f3.5-4.5

• Manual aperture ring: Yes
    • Direct-coupled focus ring: No
    • Proper focus ring rotation: Nikon direction only
    • Non-rotating outer barrel: No
    • Non-extending outer barrel: No
    • Constant field of view: ??
    • Constant f-stop aperture: No
    • Rotational zoom ring: Yes

Just got this lens last night for a longer range without the oustanding price. Paid $150 and put a NIKON to EOS adapter so I can switch between my 7D and GH2 with adapter. I kept it at 4.5 and still give me enough shallow dof. There is a Macro mode between 50-105mm range, I was able to get detailed focus within 6-7" distance. This will be a good daytime lens with a vari-ND.

• @spike08 Tokina 24-40 2.8, at fully open aperture is very, very soft. It must be stopped down to 5.6 to obtain satisfactory results.

• Maybe it would have been a better idea to name this thread "best AF lenses for video", espescially considering the fact that many videographers prefer MF.

• @weyker the thread is about well-suited lenses for cine purposes. I don't think your EF mount lens will have an aperture ring, and there's no way on this planet you're going to get AF. There are other threads that discuss mFT to G/F/FD/EF/etc mounts.

• Sorry if I made a mistake. I have the Tokina Tokina AT-X Pro 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 and thought that was the same as the Tokina AT-X 270 Pro 28-70mm f2.8 mentioned at the top of this thread.

• @spike08 As far as I'm aware, It's not internal focusing/zooming, so the barrel moves in and out.

• What about Tokina AT-X 24-40 2.8. I can't find reviews on the web but it's pretty cheap on ebay.

• @weyker @rajamalik Your references to other types of lenses are off-topic. This thread is about lens attributes that make them video-friendly, i.e. well-suited for use with follow-focus and/or matte box. See the first post in the thread for details on the criteria that are used to evaluate lenses for this purpose:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

• @mee The Canon FD range are fiddly for follow focus, as the lens barrels are so short. It's doable, but as I said, fiddly. Also, quite a lot of the FD lenses have quite stiff focus barrels, meaning a lot of torque is applied to the barrel when using FF. I have one FD (85/2) that was recently CLA'd and it performs effortlessly.

The Tokina 28-80/2.8 I have is incredible. It might not be the fastest lens I have, but it is just perfect on a rig with FF and MB.

• @itimjim, thanks for the reply. I did a bit more research on it, but you mentioned some valuable things about FF and matteboxes. For now I put off getting this lens. It really wasn't in the budget anyways for the time being, but I did order an adapter for FD/FL lenses, so that should keep me busy hunting down cheap lenses and getting better at manual focus. If something similar but better than the 12-50 comes out by the time I have the funds SWEEEEET... if not I think it will be my regular lens for day trippin. Shortfalls aside it is just too dang useful. My 14-42 is getting dust in it so often I am ready to see if I can't exchange it anyways.

• @mee Looks good apart from the aperture range. It doesn't rotate or extend on zoom or focus either, which is great for a mattebox. It also seems long enough (physically) to mate up to a follow focus, and I think it's direct coupled focus when in manual focus mode.

Shame about the 3.5-6.3 though, it'll put a lot of people off.

• @Oundersteer, I was just cruising this thread with the same question. I spent some time today at the camera shop mounting different Zuiko demos onto my GH2, and this was the lens that I found the most interesting. I am no expert on what makes a good lens though. All I can say is that this seemed like a very versatile and smooth functioning lens. What I could see on my lcd looked nice, and the touch focus worked well on the gh2. I really liked that it has Macro too. I really would like to hear what others think about this lens, because the price versatility and weather proofing makes it a very tempting lens.

• Any thoughts on the new video optimised Olympus 12-50 PZ lens? As far as i can tell: - slow aperture + weather sealed + Powerzoom + Macro mode + wider than the standard kit lenses

Hopefully no double images issues as Panasonics X Powerzoom lenses..

• just got the Nokton 17.5mm F0.95. Ok wide but too fast to focus without any help. Rigged with shoulder mount - perfect. Hand held with naked body in low light - funky to focus. I miss OIS, but not F3.5-5.6!

• @chief, you're right! We were missing out. I just received my nikkor 28mm f2 Ai, and all I can say is wow. Of all my lenses (canon, zeiss, pansonic, samyang) this nikkor is the best hands down! I am considering a wider nikkor 24mm f2 ai but not sure. Thanks! so I will say it too a nikkor 28mm f2 Ai is a must have.

• @wiggins Check out the list of zoom lenses in the second post of this thread. For an inexpensive lens, I'd recommend the Tokina AT-X 35-70mm f2.8 in FD mount. It's a bit uncommon, however, so you may need to search a bit for it.