Personal View site logo
LAING steadicams, arms and vests
  • 66 Replies sorted by
  • Awesome, thanks guys!

Last one before pulling the trigger: Is it coming with a manual or do I have to figure it out all by myself? (I'm looking at you Glidecam!) Otherwise I'm pretty much convinced :P

• Yes to all. I'm from the Philippines, taxes here are even crazier. It's easy to pull cables. They included this in the design. Even HDMI cables won't be a problem.

A 2nd spring is not part of the package, you can PM Vitaliy about it.

My arm came with the 3mm spring. It can already handle most loads.

• I'll try to answer some

1.is the gimbal movable to adjust the drop time? are there any counter weights included?

Yes, movable. Some :-) counter weight are included as far as I know.

• @eteotico thanks for posting, I'm really interested in this rig. just a few questions:

1. is the gimbal movable to adjust the drop time? are there any counter weights included?

2. How did you get the different springs? Sometimes I might be using something less than 2 kilos, so "weaker" springs could be the answer (maybe turn that 2-15 kilos into 1-10 perhaps?)

3. have you tested low mode, would be great if the monitor and battery brackets could turn.

4. did you have to pay customs? (I live in Sweden, the most money grubbing government ever when it comes to importing stuff. Then tax upon that. So I think I'm pretty much screwed to pay like 25-35% extra)

5. How's pulling cables through the post? HD-SDI should be okay, just add connector afterwards. But HDMI with a pretty big connector? Powering to camera and monitor?

sorry if you've answered these questions somewhere here or somewhere else. I've googled loads of forums so I'm quite tired, I forget time when reading about stuff that excites me :)

• It is but I think I got an early model. The bottom sled that holds the battery plate and monitor is the same as the M-02c version. Everything else is the same as their advanced model. So they gave me an upgrade on the monitor and battery bracket (same as the M-02 ad posting).

The main advantage is that the monitor bracket can now be moved higher and lower down the post, which makes for easier fore and aft adjustment of both the battery and monitor. It allows you to have more balancing options and increases pan inertia. The downside is, it's a little heavier. (I'll post weights and pictures.)

Update on my tests: I had a eureeka moment on the arms. After you told me about the 30 inch boom range and isoelasticity of the the Flyer, I wondered why I wasn't achieving it since both arms had basically the same design. I re read the Steadicam Operators Manual and this part struck me on page 263 "The Flyer arms new trick is the use of a single steel spring across the diagonal, which greatly reduces the complexity of the arm. The spring is bigger than normal - it pulls about three times harder - but the angle of it's pull is reduced to 1/3 the height of the parallelogram."

I decided to to use a harder spring on the lower arm (Tracy gifted me with an extra set of spring since I purchased it on my bday - NICE!) Spring O.D is 28mm at wire size of 4mm, Stainless Steel.

I then turned the lift knob to it's lowest setting. The Steadicam manual was right. I achieved isoelasticity and greater boom range. NOTE: Isoelasticity did not cover the full range of the arm but somewhere between 12-18 inches. It still gently settles in the middle but requires little force to boom the 12-18" range.

The stronger spring was too hard on the upper arm so I kept the medium spring ( O.D. 24mm at wire size 3mm) on the upper arm.

I will post flight tests and pics of my mods in the next few days.

For those who have lighter rigs like DSLRs, the M-02c is a very good option. I tested the medium springs (O.D. 24, Wire 3mm, SS) and achieved limited isoelasticity near the lower lift knob setting. The sled has to be very light though. With my FS 100, I could only achieve it using my super light pancake lens, unloading the monitor and battery and replacing it with the supplied weights. A very light rig has it's advantages and disadvantages. (This could be another thread.) I hope they supply M-02c with an adjustable socket block . Personally, the adjustable socket block is important.

One of the features I like most with the Laing arms are the springs they use. They are standard extension springs. I can experiment and tune my arm springs as I much as I want. Light or heavy loads? - bring it on.

In the future, I can give an instructional video on how to change the springs.

Those are my latest mods. I hope I didn't give you guys a headache.

• Yep, it'll be also interesting to discuss possible improvements.

• @eteotico Welcome Eric! do you have a link or picture for the upgraded monitor bracket and battery plate? I thought the M02 was their top model. I am looking forward to more info/video? :) regarding optimum spring loads ...

• Hi Chris, thanks for the invite. This is a very interesting and exciting forum. It's a perfect place for me since I'm planning to buy equipment to set up a small studio that's flexible enough to also do location work. With just aquick browse, I already saw so many attractive deals. Kudos to Vitaliy_Kiselev for creating and sustaining this community. Great help for others. There's only one downside - you're gonna spend your money here with too many irresistible deals.

I did more tests on my Laing M-02 after I upgraded my bottom sled with the new adjustable Monitor bracket and Battery sliding plate. This is the standard accessory that comes with their most advanced model. It gives me more flexibility to achieve static and dynamic balance. The sled is now heavier though. I haven't weighed it in yet. I did more spring tests after our last discussion in the other forum.

• @bannedindv The YouTube demo videos above were shot by Eric Teotico, based in the Phillipines.

• @bannedindv

No such country as Hong Kong exist. :-)

It is Chinese manufacturer.

• Gosh I want one of these. Gotta figure out a way to justify spending $1600. Maybe I'll have a garage sale.

Is that Hong Kong?

• Single spring set

laing8.jpg
    800 x 513 - 57K
  • Laing P-03 stabilizers (MC and XC versions, MC is longer one)

MC versions specs (XS is same, but smaller): image

Comes in bag: image

Separate sled offered in sets also

laing1.jpg
    452 x 851 - 47K
    laing2.jpg
    613 x 579 - 44K
    laing3.jpg
    718 x 754 - 55K
    laing4.jpg
    710 x 622 - 91K
    laing6.jpg
    572 x 554 - 38K
    laing5.jpg
    498 x 421 - 66K
    laing7.jpg
    711 x 808 - 57K
  • Laing M02, available on our deals now, you can PM me to get details.