Personal View site logo
Dialogue microphones for indoors and outdoors recording
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • On the topic of books I have to disagree with the general sentiments expressed above. The whole idea of reading a book, in this case, on location sound is not to get product recommendations but to get a foundational understanding about the subject. Understanding the basic concepts involved in the area of your endeavour seems to me not only a good practice but an ethical approach. The benefits of a well written book is that the topic is usually presented clearly in an organized manner in order of importance/logical sequence by someone with experience on the matter. Why undertaking this fundamental research would be viewed with disdain is baffling to me. Once you've done your homework then discussion on forums have so much more value as the particulars of what you are discussing are not flying over your head. The other thread I am currently posting in bears testimony to this.

• The problem with books on audio is that 90 % of them have pretty bad advice. So if you are starting out, how do you know which book is good? I mean, the pictures in the books for mic placement are from Mars. Seriously. And do they have a video recording with ten audio channels showing how the sound improves as you move the mic? No. And is this ridiculously easy to do? Yes. And is it a waste of time of this isn't outlined? Yes, absolutely, you are wasting your time. Ppl buy the book, put the mics in the wrong place just like the picture, and wonder why it sounds bad.

2nd problem: most people who write these books aren't the top audio guys or gals, but the top experts do participate in forums. So just go straight to the top. 3rd problem is that the book will be out of date by the time it is printed 4th problem is that you can go to the DPA university and start learning about mics for free, and there are any number of really good free online resources.

So I'm not against books, and the New Stereo Soundbook is a good book, BTW, it is that there is better info online. Ken C. Pohlmann, Principles of Digital Audio is a great book that everyone should read.

I'm willing to bet that 99 percent of people recording audio have not read both of these books.

If you are serious about audio, I recommend a year in Detmold, minimum. No book can take the place of real training. Sadly, I cannot recommend a USA school for technical studies, but there are some great engineers here.

The bottom line is whether you can make good audio, and my opinion is that most commercial audio is not good. There are some really amazing engineers, and a sea of cheese underneath.

• Solution: hire a sound mixer

• @DrDave I am not referring to audio books but technical books in general. Also, I have been recording/mixing for 20 years, and yet I bought a book on field recording because I knew that there would be many things that apply to location sound that you just don't encounter in a studio environment. And if you agree that SOME books are good then the focus should be on how to find the gold hidden in the heaps of garbage. This is where the internet becomes an invaluable resource. A lot of people spend hours researching products online before they buy them. There's no reason they can't do the same before buying a book. I do it all the time.

• But you are an expert....you don't even need the book!

• I keep on stumbling across this thread when googling things, and each time I'm surprised neither Audix SCX1-HC or Audio-Technica AT4053b is mentioned! As they're two of the more popular indie level microphones for indoor dialogue.

So I'm adding it here in the comments at last :) For others who are other than me who might be stumbling across this thread and wondering what to get.