Personal View site logo
GH3 Issues Topic
  • 345 Replies sorted by
  • At night 5 second exposures can take more than 5 seconds for the camera to process and then write to the SD card, and this is perhaps why it is skipping some of your frames... Al

• Yes, that would be a real problem if dark frame subtraction is turned on, as the subtraction takes as long as the exposure.

• Also, you can't really turn off noise reduction in jpeg modes. Above iso 3200 the GH3 will do some kind of noise reduction that slows down the camera.

• The permanent audio limiting and inability to keep meters and info on screen are exactly the kind of stupid things we had to deal with with Canon and the original 5DII.

The fact that Panasonic has developed and marketed the GH3 as the professional evolution of the GH series for video makes this really absurd. No professional has any use for built in limiting (why the hell have audio meters at all?) and no professional would ever shut off their information feedback during recording.

These are things that simply must be addressed by panasonic immediately. They're embarrassing mistakes

• @jimagine

A professional will never use a camera as audio recorder...the GH3 was made as a professional evolution because of the possibilities it offer (more than any professional camcorder) i was the first one that critic Panasonic for limiting some functionnality on the GH3 but i guess we need to let time to them to improve the firmware support or maybe in a future hack.

Right now for me the GH3 is offer more than i expected, just need few more stuff and is perfect (well near than perfect) it can do some nice slow motion, the colorgrade in postprod is more strong than any GH version... 8x8 better than 4x4, etc... i'm dreaming but it would be nice to see a 2K/4K support on the GH3 in the future, no video limit, hdmi 4:2:2, etc... but that is what a hack will can offer (maybe) or if Panasonic is really motivate, it would bring a firmware with all this bonus.

So for me after i have the final GH3 product in my hand, i was really surprise... and i can say sorry to Panasonic about the critic based on the prototype i have tested... so thanks to them to listen us and improve the functionnality on the camera.

Believe me... the GH3 offer a lot of stuff that people don't even realize...

But something that i don't like on the GH3 is the SD Card door (too easy to open) and also it would be nice if Panasonic can let us use the resolution etc we want under the art filter mode and can use the AE Lock under manual... (you can't use it)

• @jimagine I've been chatting with Panasonic about the issue. Hope to see that change in the next firmware release. Fingers & Toes crossed.

@zilk Pros do use their cameras for audio recording. That's why most pro cams have xlr inputs. I'm cool with the GH3 having an 1/8" input (due to it's über compact form factor but the limiter/audio issues I hope can get resolved. Those issues would bother even a discerning "consumer".

• How does one have a 'chat' with Panasonic about issues? I'm sure many here would like to ensure that they have the list of stuff to address in future releases. On a related note, I'm not sure how much sense it would make for VK to start hacking the GH3 when they're not done fixing all the issues.

• @craichead

I'm not sure about that... pro use XLR inputs doesn't mean that they use the audio recording from the camcorder... most of them use a Zoom H4n, Tascam and co... better and more precision than any audio meter available on the pro camcorder... i seriously prefer to use a dedicated product for the audio than use audio from a camcorder... video for camcorder and audio for audiorecorder...

Now about your problem... which version of the GH3 you have ? PAL or NTSC ?... Because you can fix the problem by using the wind feature (discret/lvl audio mode)

Sure that Panasonic will fix this on the new firmware (from the stuff that need to be improve) personnaly i just try on my GH3 Pal what you said but it seem that if i slap just a little bit on the L/R mic it can go until the red bar

• Hey - is anybody having AF issues with the Panasonic GH3? I can not seem to stop my camera from hunting via autofocus when using a native electronic lens.

• You can get a sort of continuous focus even with AF-C off if you have AFF (as opposed to AFS) switched on. There's also a "quick focus" setting that can cause the lens to AF alot.

• @AdamT - I made sure to have AFS switched on. I don't think there is an option to turn the "quick focus" off. Maybe I can make it "less quick." Yet, the camera is just doing all this on it's own...even when I'm not touching it. I'll look in to it some more in a bit.

Any/all advice is highly appreciated.

• it may just be my computer, but I'm having trouble deleting clips that won't be used I can delete any other type of file on my computer but gh3 clips give me an issue, and when it's in the process of deleting it just stalls on "preparing to recycle" anybody noticed this? sorry if this has been talked about already.

I think when I restarted my PC earlier I got 1 clip deleted, but that was it, and the next clip had same issue.

• Trying to ascertain if a brand new GH3 out of the box should have a plastic film covering the LCD display.
    Just received my unit from Samy's Camera and it has none. I wonder if I got a returned item, since the accessories weren't wrap-sealed either.

Note: lens is on order, so I can't test it out.

(sorry for re-posting. Originally posted in "GH3 availability topic" but now I'm wondering if it was the right section for people who already have the camera)

• My Rear display was glass side in for protection, no additional plastic film required.

Cheers.

Brian.

• Thanks, Brian. I feel a bit reassured.

• @SuperSet Twitter @PanasonicUSA - I was quite impressed with their responsiveness.

@zilk We/professionals do use the XLR inputs when workflow permits/requires it. Keep in mind that the H4N is also prosumer kit - albeit better audio than dslx cameras but still prosumer in relation to pro field recorders. Still good bang/buck ratio granted.

I have 3 of the NTSC/US models.

Yes, a quick spike can peak the system but sustained levels are squashed - which I wouldn't mind without the artifacts.

• @Craichead

Anyone in your entourage (so you can test) have a Pal Model ? because i have the Pal version and i dont have this problem. Maybe the problem is from the NTSC/US models ?

• @zilk How have you tested it? It is less noticeable with spoken dialog or even saying "test, test...." Perhaps it won't bother folks for dialog but more applications where you're filming musicians (sustained tones...) the issue is pretty apparent.

I'll do more testing with the wind mode in various positions to see if that has any effect. I noticed that I had mine set to "auto" which I should have it disabled (at least in theory since I'm in the studio) so will follow up on my findings...

I don't have any PAL units to test.

• OOOHHH what a substandard EVF, compared to the GH2 (in my PAL model anyway). Not good for live documentation work. Pity

• Just got my GH3, after using a GH1 and GX1 for 3 years. Three times yesterday and once today I looked in the EVF and it was completely black. Half-pressing the shutter turned it on, but I immediately set Sleep to "Off" when I got it, so it shouldn't EVER be going to sleep. I had it on for 3 1/2 hours today w/o a problem, but I never turned it off. Tonight when I was trying to figure out what was going on I turned on the camera, heard it power up, and saw the green light come on, and then the green light went out in about 2 sec. Half-pressing the shutter powered it on. Since then I have powered it on/off about 30 times w/o a problem. Has anyone had anything like this happen with their GH3?
    On the positive side the IQ is outstanding, and although you really have to have your eye centered, or maybe just a hair low in the EVF to see clearly, I've had no problem using MF, which is all I use. I found that the GX1 EVF looks sharper, but no problem getting focused photos with the GH3. Ditto the irritation with all the settings disappearing from the viewfinder--what's up with that?? Thanks in advance for any reassuring info anyone can provide. I hate the thought of having to ship my brand new camera to Texas...

• My GH3 EVF doesn't black out. I am sorry to say? A sensor problem?

• I'm wondering if this is a firmware problem? It sounds like there are a few firmware experts on this forum :-). Do you think if I reinstalled the firmware it might fix it? The best I can tell, it's going to sleep even though "sleep" is set to "off." Thanks!

• The screen on my GH3 is changing brightness levels by itself. When I am shooting indoors and pan to a bright scene the screen jumps up in brightness, when I pan to a dark scene it jumps down in brightness level. It is only the screen, the brightness level jumps don't record to my card. I was hoping it was some sort of auto setting I could turn off, but haven't found it, if it is. Is anyone else having this problem?

• i have this too. Its supposed to be the brgihtness setting , i changed it to 1 or 2 (instead of auto) but again, i have the same problem too.

• I think the screen brightness problem is a firmware bug. Others have noted it on the DPR forum.