Personal View site logo
Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 vs. Apple Final Cut Pro X
  • 41 Replies sorted by
  • @rikyxxx - I gotta disagree on a couple of your points. CS6 is every bit as "neato futuristic looking" as FCPX. It looks a little more professional, due to FCPX's simplistic GUI. It will be more robust if you use AE thanks to Bridge and faster due to editing native. Brief conform time. Yes, I I know that Apple does this in the "background". I have both and I thought FCPX was the way to go when it came out (despite the lousy reviews) even though I had PP 5.5 Premiere worked better with the files. NO 5d to RGB necessary. The thing that may help with speed on FCPX is that the GH3 spits out the better qual 50Mb/s MOV file.

I agree about the ram. I have 16 gigs in a new mac mini and I feel like I could always use more as I watch the bytes tick down on my FreeMemory app.

edit: I forgot to mention the cloud. I will spend a whopping $600 on the cloud this year for everything that Adobe makes. That's a helluva deal.

• My opinion: I love FCPX! It's got a very modern interface (whereas the competitors look like coming directly from 'the 90s) and it makes you edit faster than any other NLE software around.

Get as much ram as possible.

• Hey everyone, I'm not sure if this is the proper thread, but I'm debating between going with Adobe Premiere or transitioning to Final Cut X (I'm on Final Cut 6 presently, but think it might be a good idea to upgrade for 32bit color correction, amongst other reasons). I'm waiting for my GH3 to arrive, so most of my footage will be 23.97 I imagine, and I'm presently running a 2009 17" macbook pro with 4 gig ram (which I have no problem upgrading to gig ram) with 2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo - which I hope can handle the GH3 footage. In the future, I might upgrade to a 15" retina display. What are people's opinions? Is it worth the extra money, and is it a better option in comparison to Final Cut X? Thx!

• How did you I'm... Hehe

• just kidding :-)

• jb.png
    500 x 375 - 90K
  • SLi 2-3 x 480GTX or 580 GTX will bring you superior performance than Quadros and with CUDA :-) . In terms of drivers all new Nvidia cards (as of feb 2012) are now providing the same driver (Mac/PC) which makes the world of the Hackintosh plist editing that much easier. 680 will be supported in Mountain Lion.

• @rikyxxx Win7 has better support for CUDA than OSX. It's no surprise. Windows has been more vendor friendly than Apple. CS6 runs faster in Win7. It ain't rocket science. And the testing machine was 2010 Mac Pro. Haha. Windows Desktop FTW!!!

• I was looking at Apple as a SW house that competes with Adobe, however I admit your point is valid as well. Sometimes things are complex ;-)

• than Apple should be blamed for not supporting CUDA as it deserves on their softwares.

Why they must support NVidia, if they do not supply their cards?

All this Quadro things are extremely small niche market.

Even normal top cards market is shrinking, because poor game developers must write things that must work on the systems in 10x speed range. :-)

• Best I don't know, very interesting for sure. I've been looking for such a test for a long time :-)

However let me underline that IF I'm right about OpenCL vs CUDA performance with FCPX, than Apple should be blamed for not supporting CUDA as it deserves on their softwares.

• @rikyxxx

It is also best to compare top Mac with AMD, with very good PC with good NVidia cards, 580 and 680.

• @Vitaly You're right, NVidia OpenCL implementation isn't good enough at present.

I'd like to see the same test with FCPX on system with an AMD card.

• P.S. @stonebat, still sure Adobe did a poor job with CS6 for Mac? :-)

• CS6 support for OpenCL cards is very limited as they state.
    Look at our cards topic. 7950 and 7970 are extremely good cards considering performance. In abstract. In practice AMD cards support is still lacking. And, btw, NVidia OpenCL implementation is not best still.

• Test System:

I performed all tests on an 2 x 2.93 GHz Quad-Core Mac Pro from early 2009 running MacOS X version 10.7.4 with 12 GB of RAM and an NVIDIA Quadro FX 4800 graphics card with 1.5 GB of onboard RAM.

It looks like FCPX prefers OpenCL while CS6 works best with Cuda.