Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100 Mbps Fast Action Performance - Series 2
  • 316 Replies sorted by
  • Been testing this patch a lot.. This stuff just doesn't show macroblocks at all! It's amazing! And holds up in grading like a champion,,

• @ipcmlr Yeah, a fun test subject. There's only stabilization applied. Everything else is straight out of the camera, with no AE or FCPX filters. I'm currently in the edit for the film of which this is a cutaway.

• @ahbleza i shot a video almost exactly like this a few months ago. haha. also as a test :D

The start looks weird. Motion stabilization? Also at 22 seconds is that real camera movement or after effects movement?

• Last weekend, I shot a short film using FM 2.02 with the Voigtlander 25mm. Here's a brief extract from it. Nothing remarkable about it, but I like the look of it.

Once again, thanks @LPowell for a sweet patch!

• ProRes 422 is good enough for the raw transcode in most cases and I'd think only a poor transcoder would introduce any new artifacts. Once you do even mild color correction or manipulation you'll want to save to the HQ version (10bit) at least not so much as a means of improving quality but to preserve what was originally there and give your manipulation room to also be preserved when you've been working (like you should) at 16bits if not full float.

Also, playback of ProRes, if I'm not mistaken, can scale based on your system's ability to play it back. New noise you may be seeing might actually be a result of your system's downgrading quality (for realtime playback only) in order to play back from a now "fatter" codec. This could depend on both your OS version as well as hardware (and at least partially reason for the "High Quality Playback" option tick in QT Pro that's always defaulted to being off).

• @BurnetRhoades Thanks for the suggestion, I had a look in to it and found a similar programme called Clipwrapper. I had to purchase the full version but its very fast and efficient for encoding the footage to ProRes 422.

I've tried both ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ but to be honest couldn't tell a difference. The files it produces are slightly larger than the originals but I suppose this is the only option until Adobe sort this issue. It's a shame because as you mentioned the files play really smoothly and it would be a great workflow, just a shame about this strange noise issue. I did notice that the encoded ProRes files aren't as clean as the originals, the noise seems to become more visible. But for now that's the only option we have.

• ...some night anamorphic shots with FM.

ISO800 @ F/2.8

• its a repost of the older thread. no new patches from lpowell since fm2.02.

• Is this a new patch or the one from several months ago?

• 5DtoRGB transcoding took care of the "digital rain" I was getting with CS6 and even stock firmware footage, on both Mac and Windows. It's a shame since CS6 works with the MTS files so well, from a mechanical, user interaction standpoint. Hopefully they (Adobe) fix this in their rendering soon.

• @LPowell I absolutely love everything about this patch but I simply can't use it in its current state due to the horizontal snow/rain like noise issue. I'm aware that this problem is based around CS6 and Quicktime on a Mac but it doesn't happen with the Sanity hack! I would prefer to use Flowmotion but at the moment have no alternative! Any news about this?

• @LPowell. Thanks for the quick response, verification and the tips.

• @Zaven I downloaded the death chart and displayed it full-screen on my HDTV. As documented above, Flow Motion v2.02 doesn't support the use of iA auto-exposure features in 720p SH mode. I was, however, able to shoot the chart without error in 720p H mode with iA auto-exposure, and in 1080p VMM 80% 24H, in P-mode auto-exposure. These tests were successful on both Panasonic 45-200mm and 45-175mm zooms. If you continue to have problems with this type of death chart in auto-exposure modes, I'd recommend using manual exposure, especially when shooting an LED display.

• @LPowell. Lee I tried FM 2.02 with Stray's death chart (see below). All modes recorded OK except 720P. Both SH and H modes failed with write errors in IA and VMM modes. I am using Panasonic 14-140mm and Sandisk 64GB SDXC 95MB card in NTSC. Can you verify please?

Stray death chart-1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
  • More GH2 FlowMotion video from a S800 w/Zenmuse.