Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • @itimjim You're right, I stand corrected. The Metabones adapter replaces the cheap Chinese notm43-m43 adapter. So yes, if you move back and forth between different lens families, you'll need an FD-m43 Metabones, an EOS-m43 Metabones, etc. At $600/pop that gets old quick. If this thing actually works and has acceptable IQ loss, I'll probably buy one for FD and call it a day. Or wait for the Chinese to knock it off for $100 in about a month.

• @Shaveblog

Important thing here is that by idea, passive versions must be quite cheaper, as I remember their NEX EOS active adapter was in $350-400 region.

• Yep, passive ones will be cheaper - $399

Like Leica R Lens to Sony NEX Speed Booster - http://www.metabones.com/product/sony-nex/leica-r-lens-to-sony-nex-adapter-detail

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

A lower price for MF lens families would be logical and welcome, but $350-400 is still not chump change. I could see myself doing what I do with m43 adapters - get the Cieco7 for my FDs, and cheap Chinese for the one Rokkor and one Konica I sometimes use.

• @JohnBarlow

So easy to do. They already have the optical design to do the 1.41x, It is the same! They just need to do the same optical design in the cylindrical way and it is ready. Considering the Y as the vertical image axis and X as the horizontal image axis, they just need to remove all the lenses power in the Y axis (zero power) and keep the same lenses power in the X axis so it will be 1.41x anamorphic.

If they want to do 1.33x, they just need to do some small redesign in the lenses power in the system.

• OK its official, matabones answer is, they will start to release on March the micro 4/3 superspeed adapter, they didn't say but I guess is EF lenses to m4/3 mount. I asked lots of other things but I guess they can't say much for now. 2 more months and we will see how well this works.

• This adapter is exactly what I was waiting for (what I had in mind here: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/577/using-focal-reducers-with-gh12-and-old-lenses/p1 ) !

Thats very interesting :-) I do hope they make a Nikon-m43 version, my Tokina 11-16 is sitting on the shelf shouting 8mm @ f2.0...!

And I wonder, if they got that idea from this forum (or my original post at dvxuser) or from some where else ;-)

• I do hope they make a Nikon-m43 version

Nikon will available shortly according to PDF. And will work perfectly with Tokina.

Now we need to push them to make Pentax to m43 version. And I still do not see FD to m43 version.

• I sent an email to them, they said they have the FD to M43 version already in the roadmap. The FD version can also use nikon lenses with a cheap no glass adapter.

• While on the subject of me being wrong, someone tell me if my numbers are right here:

MF 35mm lens on GH2 (1.86x crop) = 65.1mm FF equiv MF 35mm lens on GH2 with Metabones Speed Booster (0.71x) = 46.2mm FF equiv

So my FD 35/2 becomes a bit wider than a nifty fifty instead of a short tele, yes?

• @Shaveblog

Yep, as you did, just multiply 35mm equiv length on speed booster multiplier and on crop

For GH2 it is 35 * 0,71 * 1,86 = 46,221

• The white paper is pretty calming, I must say. Have no idea what the diagrams mean (haha0 But the images and information on their methods help.

Looking forward to it.

• I'll be ordering the passive mFT to Nikon F Speed Booster quicker than you can say sesquipedalian when it becomes available :-)

• Yes, will be buying MFT to Nikon version too if priced at $300-$400. Lens options are becoming greater than ever.

• So GH2 is now APS-H with this adapter? Im still a bit bamboozled by this

• Metabones claims:

"All other aberrations, including field curvature, coma, astigmatism, distortion, and chromatic aberration are also well-corrected.”

That's good news now lets see if its true.

• @leonbeas

All this is present in PDF. Check first post.

• Very, very interesting. Too bad my entire lens kit is Lomo's. I'd imagine that it would screw with my infinity focus if I go OCT 19 to EF and then the EF to NEX or MFT speedbooster.

I don't want FF on an APS-C (pulling focus is tough enough on that thank you very much). BUT it would be amazing to have the reducer on the Black Magic Cam.

I hope this works as well as they say, and they make people very happy....and a ton of money!

• I sent Metabones an email requesting a Minolta MD to M4/3 Speed Booster and they replied, "already on our product road map, just wait".

• I sent Metabones an email requesting a Minolta MD to M4/3 Speed Booster and they replied, "already on our product road map, just wait".

Send them similar email for Pentax :-) Or better, offer then to make three parts m43 adapter with one part integrating m43 mount, one with glass and final one - lens mount.

• If there is one EV stop increase from FF reduction to APSC, won't there be 2EVs from FF to m43?

• This is amazing news! They mentioned that it will not be possible to adapt to a Canon APS-C camera, because of the flange distance, but does anyone know if they will be able to adapt to a Nikon APS-C camera (IE. D5100)?

• The 0.71x with one fstop increase is the best balance possible. It makes GH2 go to 1.42x crop factor and this helps to avoid vignetting from full frame lenses. The Sigma 20mm 1.8 is a great fast lens for GH2 and BMCC, but in full frame cameras it vignettes a lot in fast fstops (dark corners), so using it with a 1.42x crop factor will turns it into a 28.4mm f1.2 lens and avoid the dark corners. Great!

The 0.71x adapter allows lenses with less power in the optical system than a 0.5x adapter, so the image quality is better in corners. They did the perfect job.

Also the same 0.71x adapter in M43 mount can also be used in NEX cameras with a cheap M43 to NEX adapter.

VK idea to make the adapter in three parts is perfect. This way we just need to buy the extra part we need. Lets wait to see if they will implement this idea.

I sent an email to them about the anamorphic idea. This concept can be used to build rear anamorphic adapters from 1.33x to 2x for M43 cameras. They just need to use same optical system in the cylindrical way. No answer yet.

• @apefos this would create a new type (or at least less common type) of anamorphic image with a different aesthetic that could be interesting. It would reverse many of the current givens with existing lenses. Could be really interesting.

• This is a game changer, totally makes you re-consider the whole sensor size debate. Though 43 is still smaller than APS-C, it has plenty of native glass that's great, and now it has a whole lot of FF and APS-C glass that has become much more usable!

for APS-C mirroless, all the FF glass out there is now a perfect fit.

I wonder if they purchased the Kodak patents... lol... wasn't that what was holding back other people from releasing something similar?