Personal View site logo
Windows 8
  • is there a topic yet?

what's your impressions?

• 26 Replies sorted by
  • I've been running the Release Preview since it came out, and I love it. So much so that this is the first Windows I've ever preordered. My copy of Win8 Pro shipped from Newegg today (with a $30 off coupon :3 ). Just have to get my screen calibrator back from my friend before I install.

Even in the preview version, it's a bit faster than Win7 in general, but when it comes to booting, it blows Win7 out of the water. SSD or not (running it on both my desktop and laptop). It actually loads faster than my desktop's BIOS does! XD

LOVE the new Start screen. It's fully customizable, so you don't have to go menu digging to find anything anymore. It also searches for programs/apps directly as soon as you type something in. Don't worry, if you're using the desktop version of Win8 (not RT), the Start screen is the only Metro styled thing you'll see, despite what uninformed reviewers have said in the past. There are apps here and there if you want to use them, but you can also default out of them and never have to see them again.

A few bugs here and there in the preview, nothing that breaks it, but hopefully they'll be fixed in the final release. This is Win7, only better.

• This is Win7, only better.

As in ME was to '97, Vista to XP?

Never saw a Windows fresh install which didn't go like the clappers at first only to bog down later.

• Nope, more like what Win7 was to Vista, only not as big of an improvement because Win7 wasn't broken from the start. ;) Been running the preview for 4 months now with no slowdowns, while installing, updating, and removing lots of random software.

• you are one of the first people Ive seen that actually likes 8 if i decide to get it, i'll have to use it in classic mode i hate that cartoon UI

• Btw, want to remind that if you are student or teacher, check if you can get keys for free via DreamSpark.

• @GravitateMediaGroup I really can't understand why people wouldn't like it. Really, the only major visual change is the lack of the Start Menu. Beyond that, everything works the same as it always has, or better. I think lots of these "reviewers" were looking for something controversial to talk about to get attention. Lots of them were complaining that the desktop was now an app, which couldn't be further from the truth. Sure, it shows up on the Start screen, but as soon as you open any standard Windows program, you'll go to the desktop anyway. I've heard there are even hacks that let you bring back the old Start Menu if you really miss it that much. ;)

Windows RT, on the other hand, would be the letdown. Similar to iOS, it's a watered down version of Windows 8 made for tablets and other touchscreen devices. THAT'S where you'll deal with Metro (or whatever they're calling it now) in its full glory. No compatibility with any previous Windows programs. At all. The hardware is a completely different architecture, so there never will be, either. Of course, it can open most files with the correct apps, like any other tablet. On the bright side, it's said to be able to interface with almost anything via USB. Meaning you can plug in a mouse, keyboard, game controller, USB drive, and even a printer if you want, and it should be able to locate and install the correct drivers.

I'm not exactly sold on RT until I experience it, and that may be difficult if Surface and the other WinRT tablets don't do well. They're being sold at premium prices, just like the iPad, so it's gonna be a tough battle.

• Windows 8 is great. Much faster than Windows 7, which was no slouch. Hardware manufacturers need to get making magic trackpad devices to improve the non-touchscreen computers. Logitech have brought out something interesting, but that's about it for now.

• Doesn't Microsoft have a touch mouse already?

• @BlueBomberTurbo they do, but it's not optimised to work with Windows 8. Last time I checked anyway. They are releasing a few more devices though. Overall they need more though.

• Are there any benefits over 7? I run 7 24/7. For browsing and creative suite. Never a crash. My one annoyance from XP is I can't send audio out of two ports at the same time. I use to (XP) be able to play audio to the SPDIF and analog to my livingroom. Now it is a pain to have to mess around with the sound control panel each time. But I can't see any features I need beyond 7? Speed is great, but a lot of time that is subjective.

• Microsoft said they streamlined a lot of processes and tossed out other ones to get the speedup. This doesn't just affect things like opening windows and programs/files, but also increases overall processing speed for just about everything. Some sites were testing the usual benchmarks when the Release Preview was released, like compressing files, rendering video, and playing games, and they were faster than Win7 on the same hardware.

• Sorry I have to mention the way this release is being met in the Australian News: in times of a decreasing relevance of OSes in general, Windows 8 is being called, "Microsoft's last chance."

http://www.kplctv.com/story/19909390/windows-8-make-or-break-moment-for-microsoft-ceo

Nobody waits in line overnight for a new OS like they do for an IPhone. Nobody has scrutinised incremental press releases for 12 months the way we did for windows 95. A new OS is more like having our plumbing fixed so we still get the same old water.

Microsoft may just be like a much-loved but little visited relative in an old folk's home. If you're one of the 50% of business users who haven't even upgraded to Windows 7, spare some time to contemplate whether you want Microsoft do just die away slowly or whether it's worth lending your support.

• in times of a decreasing relevance of OSes in general, Windows 8 is being called, "Microsoft's last chance."

This is written by idiots, that is quite common for journalists.

• @goanna

Microsoft isn't going to "die away slowly" anytime soon.

• @subco What's your point, I'm missing it?

It's a good operating system. Stable, efficient and fast. If you don't want it, then that's OK.

• Anyone using DreamSpark? I can only see Windows Server 2012 and visual studio, etc. not any sign of windows 7/8. I am in the Software Catalog. :)

never mind. got to sign up for premium first. :)

• I get the overall message that PCs themselves are losing relevance. Desktops gave way to notebooks and now notebook ownership is losing to tablets.

Windows 8 will simply stop the shrinking, maintaining Microsoft's share at about 30% through 2016. By 2016, we believe that Microsoft will have about 27% of tablet unit sales, but only about 14% of smartphone sales (and some of us are very skeptical they’ll even get to 14%)," wrote Forrester analyst Frank Gillet in a blog post today.

http://www.zdnet.com/windows-devices-a-cure-for-the-post-pc-plague-7000006165/

Microsoft Share Price Tumbles

http://ltinvesting.com/markets/plunging-stocks-google-intel-apple-microsoft-raining-on-the-easing-parade/

Investors shrug at Windows 8 launch

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/inside-the-market/investors-shrug-at-windows-8-launch/article4656383/

• I get the overall message that PCs themselves are losing relevance. Desktops gave way to notebooks and now notebook ownership is losing to tablets.

Yep, journalists like such phrases. Problem is that same guys wrote amazing things how netbooks will completely replace notebooks, how all desktop sales will go to zero and will be replaced by notebooks. tablets are just last item in this list.

They just must have something to write about to get their salary. They just like not to think.

• Windows 8 — Disappointing Usability for Both Novice and Power Users

...from a new study on the UseIt website that asked 12 experienced PC users to take a look at Microsoft’s OS (on PCs and Surface RT) and condensed their findings into a scathing report that’s full of damning, but entertaining declarations, such as: "Windows 8 on mobile devices and tablets is akin to Dr. Jekyll: a tortured soul hoping for redemption. On a regular PC, Windows 8 is Mr. Hyde: a monster that terrorizes poor office workers and strangles their productivity".

from http://betanews.com/2012/11/21/windows-8-weak-on-tablets-terrible-for-pcs/

• Double Desktop = Cognitive Overhead and Added Memory Load
    • Lack of Multiple Windows = Memory Overload for Complex Tasks
    • Flat Style Reduces Discoverability
    • Low Information Density
    • Overly Live Tiles Backfire
    • Charms Are Hidden Generic Commands
    • Error-Prone Gestures
    • Windows 8 UX: Weak on Tablets, Terrible for PCs

from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html

• @goanna

Btw for many novice users with few installed apps, Windows is really much better.

Plus idea to mix Windows RT (this one must go to grave) and Windows 8 is weird.

• First post. Just thought I'd chip in my experiences with Windows 8. I preordered it because it was cheap and I have used every Windows OS early since Windows 3.1, so it seemed nonsensical to avoid this one just because early adopters disliked the duality of the UI.

Well, it turns out that the duality is something to dislike quite often. I liked it at first and began using Metro application wherever possible. They feel modern and they look slick, and I like eye candy. But I became tired of flipping back and forth between the two kinds of applications, and sharing screen space is painful in Metro. So I don't do it. Sharing two monitors should work great, but Windows 7 apps come up where they last were launched and sometimes they pop dialogs on the other monitor and this always sends the Metro app into hiding.

I finally fixed the problem by using no Metro apps at all, which is really too bad because I could swear that the new version of remote desktop performs better. I still like the nicer overall look, the speed of some aspects, and a few of the Metro apps. But I frankly have gained mostly painful experience so far. Metro needs to act like Parallels or Fusion so that its application happily run inside a virtual desktop, also known as a window :-)

• Microsoft's Jensen Harris, Program Director, Windows 8 User Experience (@ 2:45 in above video):

"Is familiarity always the winner?"

Yes. Game over. Thanks for playing. Bye now.

• I'm not going to switch to PC and Windows, so I'll tell my opinion about only what I see: Metro looks good and "modern". A step forward for MS :-)

• Windows 8 Failed to Reverse PC Slump During Holidays

“Windows 8 is so different to previous versions that most consumers will be put off by the thought of having to learn a new OS.”

From New York Times http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/10/windows-8-failed-to-reverse-pc-slump-during-holidays/?ref=technology