Personal View site logo
Driftwood Settings: Series 6 - COMP Apocalypse Now, Cluster v6, GalaXian GX1, Sedna, Canis, etc...
  • 713 Replies sorted by
  • This video was shot with Driftwood's Quantum 100Mbps: still a very reliable patch.

• help please. your opinion what pach are best for GX-1

• Canis Majoris C, no ND at hand so very high shutter here. . Thanks for all the amazing patches!

• @driftwood Best Advice ever- Make films!

• @mee Just use whatever pleases you. Make films!

• @Driftwood, wow, I really had all but ruled out Cake, but it is was definitely on my camera recently, and I don't doubt your wisdom. Thanks allot for the help! Over to balazer's thread I go. your patches are still king, and I will be back as always.

@whiterabbit, again thank you. I really appreciate the compliment, as I am striving to get good fast as possible, as I would much rather be doing this than my current job. As for the shutter speed, I have noticed the crispness too, and specifically noticed a sweet spot with this lens at .095 to about 1.4 at 1/3000 to 1/4000. I know allot of people have said higher shutter speeds are pointless, and in the past I have bit my lip, since I am a baby in the world of film, but with the voightlander it was very clear something was going on. I do have a Marumi ND 8 I will be trying to duplicate this look with, without the higher shutter speeds just to be objectionable. But I think this really is a sweet spot with this lens.

@GravitateMediaGroup I was shooting slower f-stops for awhile, but those shots in comparison are lifeless. This was my first day out with this lens, and I did enough tests at different settings to know I liked these settings best for these conditions. I am sure with more practice I will learn how to use more range with this lens, but I am very satisfied with the above video.

• @mee, the 1/4000 will generally make it look perhaps sharper/crisp and different to a standard shutter speed, even over 1/100 and things can look quite different/crisp compared to typical 1/48, 1/50. No ND filter(s), no choice. Without being to broad and general, I sometimes find the faster the shutter, the sharper the image can look. I noticed with the movie, Crank 2, that a lot of the narrative scenes were shot with a rather high shutter speed, and perhaps gave it a more sharp/crisp look, considering the consumer HD cams used and the compression issues they were facing. Such fast shutter would not suit for more general, subtle and dreamy stories. Comparing patches with different scenes, lighting and camera settings has been confusing for me. Not sure how you could compare 1/4000 against other patch unless similar rate. Your footage looks good, considering it has been taken for a ride on the Tube.

• @mee I think I can safely say it was Cake. Thats the only setting with encoder 1 1080p/i = 2 and using p frames instead of b frames inside the GOP3.

• throw boom back on and shoot some stuff outside in the daylight and see if it resembles I guess

It's weird "to me" that you would shoot wide open like that in daylight. may be normal to some folks I guess

• @white rabbit Pretty much all f.095 Thank you, and the Shutter speed was ridiculously high. Mostly 1/4000. I didn't have a proper ND filter at the time.

@GravitateMediaGroup Boom, Cake, Flowmotion, Seaquake and Beautiful Buffers were the most recent patches I used. The three I mentioned earlier seem to be the only contenders.

• @mee, the footage above, all shot at f.095, or you referring to the widest stop for the lens? Footage looks great, it seems the faster than standard 180 degre shutter speed helps. This footage reminds me of my times in Japan in the late 90's, shooting back to Tokyo between snowboard trips and observing similar events, like the Yoyogi Park rockabilly dancers on the weekend. So many cool GH2 patches, so little meta data stored to note this for historical reference. I have similar problems with remembering and/or noting ISO, f-stop, shutter and WB, which is important when testing or post analysis.

• @mee what other patches were you using around that time other than san 5.1?

• Yes, I know, and Yes, it is a pretty lens and I know it is a big part of it, but I did shoot a second day of this event using sanity 5.1 and though those shots are also wonderful, there is a difference. I am simply trying to see if the patch can indeed be identified, and Driftwood as usual has gone above and beyond the call of duty in helping me out.

• all i'm saying is if was a driftwood patch, it wasn't flow motion and if you are basing what you like off of how soft some of the shots are, it probably is the voightlander, it's a pretty touchy lens. if i'm shooting with a tripod i'll zoom in, focus, then shoot

• @GravitateMediaGroup

read my last post a bit more carefully, it is Beautiful buffers (an early Driftwood patch) I am suspecting to be the patch in question. Flowmotion is the runner up at this point. FYI I have used many a driftwoods patches. Orion 3b, or was it 4b is still my all time favorite, though I may have to do some side by sides with BB, if it is indeed what I was using.

Here is what came out of whichever patch it is. Ungraded except the shots of the girl with the pipe.

Granted this is all F.95 or very near, and would look great on stock settings, but there is something very pleasing (other than the girls) about the way things looked with the camera during this session.

• @mee I don't think driftwood and flowmotion belong in the same sentence

and if it is in fact "flowmotion" that you are in love with, you might want to experiment with a few others. I'd start with intravenus 1 or 2. I used to be die hard flowmotion, until I found out there are better patches. no disrespect to lpowell

• @driftwood, I just noticed you added a bit more to your text above.. The more I think about it, I really think it is either your Beautiful buffers patch, which was pre non panny matrices if I remember correctly, or flow motion.

I did have flow motion on for a sports even recently, but was pretty sure I removed it and added something I suspected might be a bit more beautiful for the comic event, but also was aiming for something that wouldn't eat cards too fast..

Is there a way to see if it is Beautiful Buffers? If so, I think I am in love with that patch, which happens to be either the first or second patch I ever tried on my GH2. Maybe it's the combination of the 17.5 Nokton and the patch, but something there really pleases my eyes.

P.S. the only thing I ever change on patches is Audio.

• @the_cubaner be more specific, there is like 1000 apoc now patches

• @Driftwood I am pretty sure that is not it, but you finally have me looking deeper into these files, and gave me some clues that have narrowed it down to three choices. (1) Cake (2) Flow Motion (3) Beautiful buffers (Final version). Beautiful buffers is sorta an outsider literally as I have it on a HD I rarely access, however I seem to recall revisiting this patch recently, and also recall dragging stuff over from that hard drive sometime in the last 30 days or so.

• @mee It could well be this:-

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/3d/33caa135ef127dfc2476b3a2d99620.zip

The setting in the link above was one of my very early settings at 3 GOP, Ralph posted it into the Settings vault in 2011!!! :-)

Its probably @Kai 's setting though as he did GOP 3 60+M first before anyone.

• OK, Thanks for the effort Driftwood, It is appreciated. I will check if Ralph_B recognizes it.

• @mee re: your file you sent me.

Not 100% sure what this setting is. Its GOP 3 with p frames 24p with a fairly avg matrix. Here's the streameye image of an i frame.

Sanity uses GOP 18 so thats ruled out. Flowmo and GOLGOP use B frames in their 3 GOP implementations. However, it could be a very early hack setting but certainly its a setting where in ptools 'encoder setting 1 1080p24 = 2 is checked. The first two scaling matrix flags read as follows;-

Flag [0]:

• [00] 6, [01] 8, [02] 10, [03] 12, [04] 8, [05] 10, [06] 16, [07] 20 [08] 10, [09] 16, [10] 24, [11] 28, [12] 12, [13] 20, [14] 28, [15] 32

Flag [1]:

• [00] 5, [01] 10, [02] 25, [03] 80, [04] 10, [05] 15, [06] 80, [07] 108 [08] 25, [09] 80, [10] 108, [11] 140, [12] 80, [13] 108, [14] 140, [15] 176

etc...

which confirms that it is the standard unchecked scaling matrices of the Panasonic GH2 (stock matrices) as per graphic attached.

Summary: Maybe it was an early Driftwood 3 GOP or Kai setting - or one you made yourself?

mee_file0075mts.png
    1727 x 1375 - 1M
    Stock Panasonic Scaling i Matrix.png
    1284 x 137 - 11K
  • Canis Majoris Night Matrix - shot with indoor lighting using GH2 and Panasonic Leica DG 25 mm Youtube doesn't do justice - I know - but love the low noise I get from the settings