Personal View site logo
Strange Flickering/Banding? Issue
  • I've heard of a banding issue with the GH2, but what is really is odd is that I've had this camera for over a year and used it in every lighting situation. I have never experienced this until last week. Sure I've had a little noise when there isn't proper light, but never anything like this.

You can see it really bad on the statue image, but you can also see it on the parking meter image if you look towards the center of the video...and this was lit well. The odd thing is I took a similar video of the statue, but zoomed out a little and no bad effect. I also took some shots the same night in similar conditions as the statue shot and they came out a little noisy, but no unsightly bands or flickering strips like this. These effects are happening with different lenses, so its not a lens issue.

The only two things I've been doing differently lately is using a B+W ND .6 filter (had it on during the parking meter video) and after all this time I just discovered the Tele EX button (which according to the manual does not degrade image quality). I can't image the ND .6 filter would push the camera to produce this banding, especially in broad daylight.

I have used the Terraquake hack since I bought this camera and its been so good that I haven't really had any need to change it. I never mess around with the ISO. I always light well enough to keep it down to 160, or switch to a faster lens when needed instead of raising ISO.

Oh well, going to head back to the same spot in a few days and take video without ND filter and with Tele EX off and see if this is causing the issue. Wasn't sure if anyone else was familiar with this.

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • Oh well, problem resolved.

• What was it?