Personal View site logo
Minolta Rokkor Survival guide
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks. Yes Fred. I had to unscrew that metal piece in order to remove the aperture ring. I screwed it again in the same position, but I might be doing something wrong. This seems to be a very tricky lens. PS: I don't know if Vitaliy thinks that we should follow this via PM. I think that maybe your tips would be helpful for others.

• Of course I just read back and saw that you have a MC Rokkor-PG 1.4. How far did you get into the lens? If you just took off the aperture ring, I think your problem has to do witht the position on the silver insert that attaches to the ring and pushes the pin that moves the aperture. See picture. Is yours in the same position?

Personal-View_50mmAper.jpg
    1253 x 1280 - 217K
  • @Flaaandeeers Which 50mm (MC or MD Rokkor or plain MD; f-stop 1.2,1.4,1.7 or 2; 55mm or 49mm filter ring) did you open? I will try to help you work this out.

• "Actually I can open it to f1.4, but it won't hold that open by its own. If I release the aperture ring, it jumps to aprox 2.8" i added cellophane tape to increase the friction, and it holds to wherever I set it. I don't get how it is all close when you reach f8?

• Actually I can open it to f1.4, but it won't hold that open by its own. If I release the aperture ring, it jumps to aprox 2.8 - I've read @fredfred27 words: "It is difficult to keep them opened to their full aperture without the ball bearing" and thought that it may have something to do with it.
    I can close it step by step to fully closed, but this fully closed condition does not match f16 on the aperture ring, but f8 aprox.
    BTW, I don't recall any spring.
    Unfortunately, the aperture mechanisms of the MD 135 2.8 are completely different from MC 50 1.4 as far as I can see. I will try to post some pics tonight. Thanks @aljimenez!

• My point was not that the 45mm was better than the 50--although, to my eye it is--but that the 50 and 55 Vivitar are the only ones I ever use much. I think if you like the look of the old lenses, film a short sequence, one with the Olly 45, one with the Rokkor 50 and post it. Then we can really see what the differences are.

I did a short test with the Olly 45, the Rokkor 50 and the Vivitar 55 and asked people to pick the winner. Since the clips were unlabeled, I didn't get many voters, so the sample was too small to be meaningful, but the Vivitar got the most votes, then the Olly, then the Rokkor 50mm. I actually had no preference between the Vivitar and the Olly, but of course the Olly is sharp wide open. If you pixel peep, you can see some junk in the image of the old lenses.

I personally think it would be interesting to see more such comparisons, using different subjects, to see what these old lenses really bring to the table. More vid!

• I hope you can post some photos of your opening it, otherwise it may be hard to give you help. It appears that there may be a spring that is not back in its place; it may have flown off? Putting the bearing back in will not solve the problem of opening and closing the aperture blades all the way. So sorry, but you did the 135/2.8 and that might help you. Take a look at the spring in the 135/2.8 for hints on what is wrong... Al

• @fredfred27 @aljimenez
    Please guys, I need your help! I think I f*cked my 50mm up.
    I was able to declick my 135 2.8 successfully and it was pretty easy. Happy with the results, I opened my 50mm to do the same, but found a very different scenario.
    After a couple of hours of fighting with it, I was able to assemble the lens again but the ring is extremely loose and I can't reach 1.4 or even 2 (it always closes to 2.8) and it also gets fully closed when the ring is about 8 or 11.
    Is there any way to put the bearing back in?
    Can you give me some direction on how to do that?
    I won't mess with my lenses anymore :S
    Thanks a lot!

• @fredfred27 you look so professional with your setup! And I see quite a collection of lenses there; very nice. Thanks for your tips... Al

• Here is what my workspace looks like. The lens that is being worked on is a 1966 (MC 1st series) MC Rokkor-PF 58mm 1:14.

Workspace.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 269K
  • @aljimenez As you slide off the aperture ring, be carefull that you get the ball bearing before it rolls away. Also, most of the Rokkors have a spring inside of a hole just under the ball bearing. Make sure you pull that out too. I use a safety pin or straight pen to pull it out. If the spring is left on, it can get caught in the aperture ring an really mess things up. I work on top of a flat baking pan with raised edges in case screws, springs or ball bearings can't get away from me.

There is a problem that comes with declicking the Rokkor lenses. It is difficult to keep them opened to their full aperture without the ball bearing. You will most likely have to use a very stiff grease under the aperture ring to keep the lens fully open.

• I've been having a conversation about de-clicking these Minoltas with a member of this forum. Here is a photo of a 58mm/F1.4 that I opened to clean the aperture blades and to de-click. This photo shows the aperture ring after just removing the screws from the back and lifting the back. Notice the ridges on the aperture ring toward SouthEast direction. The ball bearing that implements the clicks is right there.

F1.4-58mmMinolta.jpg
    1280 x 807 - 640K
  • Yeah, I've got the Oly too, just very different. They both are valued parts of my arsenal.

• i agree with nomad, i have minolta 50mm MD and the oly 45mm and i'm using the minolta more than the oly. i love the look of old glasses as i love the video look of the oly too :)

• Congratulations on the Varisoft – very rare and even more so in good condition! It alone may catch the price you paid in the future if you don't like them. Not that I doubt you will…

• Well... following @nomad advice I finally sold some vintage glass and purchased a set of Rokkors for filmmaking: 24 2.8, 35 1.8, 50 1.4 (PG) and 85 2.8 (Varisoft). I was lucky enough to find all of them in mint condition. Actually the Varisoft is NEW :) I spent less than 900 bucks in total and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. I think I will add SLR 12mm 1.6 to cover wide land in the near future. I hope I can test them all this weekend.

• Sharpness isn't everything. I have the Oly 45 too, but I still use the old glass as well, depending on subject.

• I have 14-15 lenses from the Rokkors because I bought into the system in the 70s. My 50/1.4 MF is a very good lens, slightly sharper than the AF version I paid a premium price for in 1983 I think. So I have two 50mm :) These lenses were really very good in the 70s and 80s. Great glass, solid hand made lenses.

I bought the GH1 to use these and the Nikkor lenses, I figured, I have all these amazing lenses, just bolt them on the GH1. And then I bought the Panny 20mm, the Olly 45 and the Panny 14, and the Rokkors and Nokkors, they just can't compare. The Vivitar 55 comes pretty close (I have the Minolta mount version) but the Olly 45 is sharper, lighter, faster. It's ironic and tragic, to buy the system for lenses I don't use. Even the Olly 40-150 lightweight zoom is sharper. Maybe Sony will come out with a budget 4K cam that fits the AF lenses.

• @aljimenez Thanks for your answer. Even when I know how better modern glass is compared to vintage, I've been looking at Rokkors thinking of gathering a nice set to get de-clicked and use with FF. They're pretty affordable and seem to be quite good for video. Rokinon would be my first choice but to import their lenses to my country is too expensive due to custom fees.

• @Flaaandeeers In general, Minolta lenses need some CA and de-fringing corrections when wide opened. I also find they need small exposure adjustments, but need little color adjustments. They have a lot of character and I spent around $1,000 for my collection, so they are worth and fun to fiddle with. I do mostly family videos and photos so I am not super-picky about precisely matching them with Panny lenses. I am shortly going to retire and will spend more time learning film-making in a more serious manner.

• I just received my mc rokkor 16mm 2.8. Its a great lens, a real "panzer", tack sharp, but has a bit of distortion as I knew before, due to fish-eye... next days I will post some footage.

• @aljimenez Really nice collection! I'm looking into Minoltas myself. Can you easily match your Minoltas with your Summilux 25 1.4? Which of them would be the best for that? Thanks!

• Nice primer - I'm a fan of Rokkor lenses and have a few still, including the 35-70 Macro (great but nowhere near as good as my Contax 35-70 IMHO) it's is a super cheap bargain if you can find one on fleabay - and a mint 58 1.2 MC Rokkor PG which is built like a tank and a super lens. Great lenses across the range, you can't really go wrong for the prices they (were) are at.

• Thanks! In a strange coincidence, I just spent the whole day yesterday on Ebay buying Rokkor lenses. Have never used them and can't wait to give them a try. Wish you would have waited a few days though...now I will have competition for bidding! :-)