Personal View site logo
Minolta Rokkor Survival guide
  • 63 Replies sorted by
  • One additional info if you are looking for the 35-70mm zoom: if you encounter some play on the zoom ring (longitudinal) it's not a reason for concern. It should have none in rotation, though.

@aljimenez Sweet!

• My first SLR was a Minolta SRT 101 and I have a collection of Minolta lenses. Here's a photo of most of my lens collection. I can provide any one individual photo if desired

P1060423.JPG
    4277 x 2134 - 2M
  • I've never touched that one. Minolta made good lenses from the start, but the coating was not that advanced then, it might flare quite a bit. Plus, it needs a different adapter.

• @nomad I've got a minolta m-rokkor 40/2, the one sold with the MInolta CLE in the early 80's.

It's looks like a very good lens to me (I use it on my gh2 too) but I've never done any serious test. May I ask you what's your opinion about it and if there's something I should know?

Thanks in advance :-)

P.S. Thanks a lot for this guide too, it's very valuable.

• @nomad, now you really inspire me to do something similar for Canon FDs or Nikkors: adding some image examples of the same lens on µ4/3, APS-C and FF sensors. Such reviews are seldom.

It just needs soooo much time, samples, documentation.... and all this next to real job. So not before summer probably....

• Good idea. When I find some time, I will add shots of those lenses that are difficult to identify.

• WOW!!!!! thanks @nomad this kind of contribution makes this forum so specility wise.

• I am thinking about moving it to FAQ wiki (to also add more images, etc). And leave just small part here for discussion.

• Thank you for formatting. The Contax guide wasn't mine, so I should only point to it.

• @tetakpatak

If you just type "minolta rokkor" this topic will be already on top of search results.

• What an amazing source of information- thank you @nomad!

• Thanks, I think it is best to make Contaxt guide into separate topic.

I'l add some formatting to posts.

• I'll split for readability.

Minolta was founded in 1928 as "Nichi-Doku Shashinki Shōten" (Japanese-German camera shop). After a line of rangefinder cameras modeled close to Leicas the company introduced it's first SLR camera in 1958, the SR-2 with the first Japanese bayonet mount. I'm referring to manual lenses from Minolta for this mount only, officially called SR, but most call it MC/MD these days. MC lenses (meter coupled) are the older ones, produced from 1966, but the only difference in MD mount from 1977 is a modified mechanical coupling for the aperture setting in the MD. The mount stayed compatible between all lenses until the very first autofocus camera was introduced by Minolta in 1985. Of course they continued to make some lenses for the older mount for quite a while after 1985. All lenses with this mount can be adapted to modern mirrorless cameras like µFT or NEX, but via an adapter from MD/MC to Leica-M you can mount it on RED's Leica-M mount just fine. None of these lenses expands beyond the mount, so there is no problem with this combination like there is with most Leica-M lenses wider than 50mm.

Moved into

http://www.personal-view.com/faqs/camera-usage/minolta-rokkor-lenses-faq