Personal View site logo
Personal view suggestions for 2013
  • I am opening topic to get suggestions considering our community.

Including tech ones, organization ones, etc.

I'll later make post with my own thought and add interesting suggestion to it to be implemented during 2013.

Feel free to post.

• 51 Replies sorted by
  • First and foremost, a sincere thank-you, @Vitaly_Kiselev, for keeping this site free, unsponsored and thriving for another year.

PV has grown a ton in the past year, and I think perhaps it is time to look at how the site is organized. I used to be able to keep up on everything new that was posted, and what is more, I found most of it very useful. I can't do that anymore, and I'm not sure that PV will ever return to that state, but anything that can be done to make it more easily readable would be great. I don't have any specifically good ideas, but here are a few, if we're just brainstorming.

1. More clearly separated sections for asking questions versus for discussion/sharing of information. Part of the clutter is all the "tell me what sub-$1K camera to buy" and "thinking about the wing-dingy for my rig" threads, that may benefit the OP but tend to clutter the topics list feed. Maybe a generic "I have a problem, help me" topic?

2. A feature that allows forum members to tag comments as "relevant to the discussion", that maybe slowly tints "relevant to the discussion" comments a different color based on how many votes the comment gets (that way it is not directly quantitative, but still easy to quickly pick out which comments others have found relevant).

3. Perhaps the forum itself could be used to create a more permanent wiki? There could be an option to put any comment into a wiki that mirrors the organization of the forum. This could be another way to separate good informational posts from thread-chat and more generic discussion.

Just a few ideas for you take take or leave, I'm no expert, just a user.

• I'm only a lurker mostly, but one of the things that typically prevents me from participating or better utilizing the resources here is the layout... Even using a typical forum layout would help make it more readable. Main headings on one page and then subforums with topics therein. This reminds me of the layout found on forums like creative cow, which make me want to pluck my eyeballs out. For all the great resources I shouldn't have to go fishing to find things. Forums. Subforums. Topics. Simple.

• @buildbyflying

LOL. Looking at your statistics you are rare visitor. Hence so strange note. Because it is same hierarchical forum :-).

You mean http://www.personal-view.com/talks/categories/all look ?

• I use to read dvxuser, dvinfo etc... since got a GH2 never really went there anymore! As @B3Guy says keep it free !THX @Vitaliy_Kiselev for keeping us always up-to-date! Maybe a Twitter login possibility will be able to spread more fast the "word". But in another way the post wont be so long...there are always two faces in a coin!

• @B3Guy's words were just what I tought first. As example, topics like this one:
    http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/953/gh2-settings-vault-most-popular-settings-in-one-place-quite-old/p1
    are extremely useful, but get kind of "lost in the sea"....

BTW it is excellent that the P-V site uses google as its search machine and until about one year ago it was kind of easy to find the topics, after getting used on the site layout (@VK if you check also my statistics, mind that I was visiting this site since April 2011 as "Howdy, stranger!" and created my login since the Ptool started creating zips for download)
    But the site expanses daily and it is good idea to somehow organize it just a bit.... although, I really like its open character and in also in many bloggy topics there are good comments to find.

• One of my ideas was to turn profile page into personal mini wiki. With some special features.

But this will requires some resources to hire developers.

• You should start a blog Vitaliy, you could invite a few guest writers to help out with it.

• Well, some of us would be grateful for that. I've donated on my own few days ago just for hosting the page as I know it costs time and money. I am sure there you would get support from many P-V mates for hiring developers to re-built the page.

• You should start a blog Vitaliy, you could invite a few guest writers to help out with it.

Nope. I do not indent to do everyone around is doing.

• In some long/difficult or very long/difficult topics, with a lot of helpful and interesting posts, sometimes I get lost. And as my mother language is also not english, sometimes it is really difficult to understand the results of the topic, eventhough I found them very important. Some confusing posts sequences, local english expressions, highly technical terminologies and chat abbreviations make it even more difficult. So I would very much appreciate, if someone would take the time to write a few short conclusions, throw them into the topic for example at the very beginning - I think this would may be help a lot of people to understand better this wonderful site and may be even sometimes avoid some useless or silly questions. I just remembered that sometimes somebody was doing it already - for example when the first hacked settings came out, somebody resumed them all. Also some people do it spontaneously, which is great. Cheers

• Vitaliy

My request would be for a better search tool.

In the past I know things have been 'on deal' but not been able to find them. In one case I ended up going to my home system and trawling through history until I found the URL.

In my case I thought it was a time limited deal - it wasn't. I guess that you do this so that it is not generally searchable by Google. So a better search when logged into PV would be great.

It'd make me login more! I often check out the posts without being logged in.

What's really good about PV is not just the web technology but the moderation of the posts so that they remain clean and on the subject in the title. Even regulars don't mind a nudge every now and again ....

Cheers

Andy

• Its been asked before;- the ability to delete attachments/replace them - however, I realise allowing it could get messy ;-)

• @andyharris I agree that the search system is really inefficient, but you can still use google with "keyword1 keyword2 ... site:personal-view.com", it became my only way to search into websites these last times

• @andyharris
    @lenuisible

Guys, if you did not noticed, we use Google since some time ago :-)

• Sorry didn't mean for my criticism to sound derisive, smug, unappreciative... apologies if it was taken that way. This is a great resource... However, it's cluttered. I'd prefer if the default was more of a typical forum hierarchical style... also, having mods on main forum and subforums would help, that and finding a more elegant solution to organizing the topics. It's no knock on you, Vitaly. Again, you're doing something that no one else is doing and making everyone else's work better by doing it. Just saying that simplifying the forum would improve readability.

• @buildbyflying

I fail to understand that you want. I really suggest to spend slightly more time before jumping and offering solutions to non existing problem.

Anyway, I added two tabs for Categories and Mixed views.

• Ban the mention of brand names for 2 months and see who is still talking about film making after that. Ok, this was more of rhetoric suggestion than a practical one :) One of the things I enjoy about this forum is it's low tolerance for bullshit.

• I'd suggest urging people to use a uniform and simplified format for the Patch "first pages." Something like:

Patch Name: Cake (latest version 2.3) Created by: balazer Works in Modes: 720p, HBR, 24p, and VMM Bitrates: Variable, but 2 to 2.5 times that of stock bit rates 24H mode: 60 mbps Recording time available on a 32 gb card: 2 hours Spanning: 100% reliable for all settings. (Class 10 cards are highly recommended) Sound recording: Recommended for: Live theatrical events Reported problems:

And after the above, more technical details can be included. Basically, something people can read very quickly, without wading through a lot of material about I frames and matrices.

• More money and people to help out on in-depth hacks. How much would be needed in donations?

Maybe a "front page" objectives list for development donations would be good?

• I think that an update to a new interface like the one used at xxx will tremendously benefit this forum, and I'm ready to donate for this cause too.

• I think the focus on layout is off...I never use the traditional layouts at other forums, just 'Today's posts' or 'New Posts'. In general, the search function here on PV gets me to anything scarce I need to find in a jiffy.

• This is perhaps a strange thought and I know there's issues with this, but what about a monthly podcast, reviewing interesting news relevant to the community with commentary? Or "week in review" for the forum?

• @willianaleman

Did you checked previous messages here? Click on Categories tab, if you so like "traditional" view :-)

@qwerty123

but what about a monthly podcast, reviewing interesting news relevant to the community with commentary? Or "week in review" for the forum?

We have just one thing required for this - someone who'll do it :-)

• @Brian_Siano
    @RRRR

This is topic about community in general, not about hacks.