Personal View site logo
Thinking about Glidetrack HD. Any suggestions?
  • I've been building up my technical capabilities lately. So now I'm thinking about Glidetrack HD (http://www.glidetrack.com/products/hd-range/glidetrack-hybrid-slider.html?___store=en_gb&___from_store=en_eu) . It's quite expensive so any opinions are welcome. What do You think about this particular model or any other alternatives? I like it because it looks like it could handle Sony Ex3 and vertical position is a great option.

• 61 Replies sorted by
  • @davidp158

It is old video. They are still not available as I know, and we better use proper topic.

• I actually built my own motorized slider from the Varavon S900. Looks ghetto as all hell but works for me. I'm using it on a job in Miami right now but will post some pics soon.

• A video of the motorized Varavon slider:

• thanks for all the great info and links folks, very helpful

• BTW, this thread has been fun and insightful!

• AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Gotcha. My bad. It's that variable axis you are talking about. Sorry. I use a tripod mount adapter for lenses so I can rotate how the camera mounts easily so I never really even thought about your problem.

• @vicharris

Do you mean setting the slider up 10 degrees on one side?

Yes .. for example, assuming level ground, height at one end is 4 foot, height at the other end is 3 foot.
    In that situation, to level your camera with the head that you linked to you have to mount the camera sideways on the head, point the head along the slider, and use the tilt of the head to level the camera.

Any panning or tilting will take the horizon off level.

90 degrees can be done, as you have, it's a lot easier with a right angle bracket and a hihat.

• I'm so confused here. Why can you not do that with this head? This head does everything my Bogen 316 head does. And that head is studio level! I've panned and titled with the head while my slider was at a 90 degree angle. Yes, not easy or ideal, but it worked. Am I missing something here? I might be a few beers in to understand what you mean. :) Do you mean setting the slider up 10 degrees on one side?

• @vicharris .. I did look and it will not enable you to set the slider at a 10 degree angle, and pan 'and' tilt while sliding, as your 10 degree is set by the tilt mechanism of that head.

No offense was intended @vicharris.

• @kavadni Yes, I know what that does. So does the head in the link I posted. Did you even look at it? This isn't my first day at the rodeo ;)

• @vicharris .. a hihat/riser enables you to pan and tilt while sliding at an angle

• @ade4all Why wouldn't you just buy another head that can support that weight? It will be cheaper than all that riser and convertor crap and weigh less. What's the payload for your AF100? I have a head, the same as the varavon one that I purchased that handles 10 pounds easy. Varavon just slapped their name on it. Dracast and Cowboy use it as well on a light duty tripod I have. Here's the link. It's very fluid and smooth, plus you save an assload of money.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0072B0UMI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

Buy it via Amazon Prime and if you don't like it, return it!

BTW, It has the same or larger payload rating than the 701. I have not used the 701 but I've used this head with my HVX200, with a wide angle lens attached and a DTE and it actually worked pretty good. That's alot of weight!! I had a 501HDV and IMO, this head worked better. The 501HDV had a very small amount of backlash, this other head didn't.

• thanks Kavadni I'm in the U.K. and am struggling to find it on ebay or any uk supplier, have bought from bh before but I guess for this I'm paying for them to import it into USA from korea then export to the UK - I dont suppose anyones got a link for a more direct way of doing it, the tight arse in me says this is an expensive way? cheers for all the help

• @Lohmatij Which Konova do you have?

• What I like about Konova are their legs. Varavon legs are much different and not as good (they are like old konova design). Also I want to have a motorised version, sadly Varavon doesn't sell them (yet?).

What I like about Varavon is bigger shaft and bigger roller bearings. Also I like their Block head with dial and buble leveler.

I have Konova now, but I'll switch to Varavon if they will change legs and show a good moto version.

• thanks for all the info - a few more queries - is there a high hat solution for the Varavon, cant seem to find one but would be interested in using my Vinten vision blue head which has 75mm ball.....have seen a lot of folk seem to just use the screw on type manfrotto 701 head but am not convinced it would handle the weight of an AF101 & allow for smooth tilts, pans etc? Any feedback would be useful, thanks

• @vicharris

Are Konova good sliders? They are.

But. Payloads are just marketing bullshit here.

Only thing that matters for such sliders is diameter of steel rods.

Varavon Lite has smallest rods, Varavon S has bigger rods than K2 or K3. Period.

Your usage of word "same" is just unacceptable for me. As you always assume absolutely different thing under this - "in my humble opinion they looks similar to me". This is how you must words this.

To be short, both Varavon sliders had been designed as things for certain real goals, long after Konova.

• SPECS: Payloads Konova K2 MAX:39 Pounds Optimal:6.6-24.4 Varavon S MAX:42 Pounds The Varavon Lite is so far behind on these numbers I do not think it is fair to compare them. It's max load is 19 pounds.

Width of entire rail Konova K2 1.84mm Varavon S 1.85mm Once again Varavon Lite is too far behind at 1.18

Weight of entire slider Konova K2 1.45 Kg Varavon S 2.56 Kg

Same mounting options on end blocks. Same exact bearing adjuster system. Both have measurement markings along rail Both have 3 roller bearings. K3 has 4.

The Varavon does have a bubble lever and that locking dial. K2 does not.

Now comparing the S to the K5 is a bit much. The max payload on the K5 is 55 pounds. I would say this is a heavier duty slider by far just based off that alone. Maybe the K2 is somewhere between the Lite and the S. Most likely based of specs, right below the S. Is that worth $100 for something else? Maybe a new head for the slider, hell yeah, IMO. And that's just my opinion but those are the numbers I went off, when I made my purchase.

• @V: I consider Konova AND Varavon on equal terms and best bang 4 buck if you re-read what i said. Its just lack of motor for their Sliders. I was hoping they would have one. I hope they have some in the works and plan to release them soon. I don't have any connections whether paid or indirect with either companies so its not an advertisement.

• I'll verify all that when i get home but the bearings are exactly the same.

I really do not understand after all this that you understand under "same".

And next time, verify first, post second.

• Considering S and K3 my comparison, I compared closest I could find.

But it is also not fair comparison, as Konova alternative to Varavon S is really K5, not K3 (K3 is made for much lighter cameras and use 6mm rails only, same as K2).

• I'll verify all that when i get home but the bearings are exactly the same.