Personal View site logo
Apefos Scoperama Anamorphic Adapter Development Topic
  • 470 Replies sorted by
  • just got myself under the rain a little bit. i think i heard Galilean saying: "if my grandson just could know... i am not angry, i am celebrating... i am sending some ice stones for you to grind and make more lenses! remember water refraction index is 1.33 and ice refraction index is 1.31"

here in Brasil we have a popular expression which says: "If you are in the rain, it is to get wet!"

"Won't you come see about me... rain keeps falling, rain keeps falling down, down... hey, hey, hey, hey!"

small ice drops:

ice1.jpg
    851 x 631 - 238K
    ice2.jpg
    1027 x 677 - 195K
  • @apefos Awesome, I wasn't sure if I wanted to purchase the uncoated one or wait for the coated one, and I think for what I need I would like to wait for the coated one. I ask because I have a few 2x Schneider anamorphic lenses (the big brass ones) and while they are interesting, they produce NO flares whatsoever and dull haze around brightly lit points.I liked the LA7200 and modded it for close focus but I would always get aberration and it was never sharp at the edges which was very frustrating and unusable. I could rarely get the elements to line up nicely either and would always have subtle distortion.

Just curious, how much will the coated one cost?

• Can't say about price before test them assembled! I need to be sure it works good before talk about sales.

Edit post: just need to say I will not raise the price, I already know the price, but I prefer to test them first to be sure it will work as expected. the uncoated version is 360 usd free shipping, the coated versions I will say within some days after the tests.

• from September 12, 2012 - till December 19, 2012:

Thanks VK, PV, all followers, all posts, my donors, and God.

CIMG9917.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 753K
  • Walking on water, it's good luck and success !!! Happy Holidays!!! yyy ....multicolored flares :))

• I like the blue coating. Looks most cinematic to me. what do you think? I am shooting my diploma- movie mid 2013. Do you think it will be available then? :)

• I think the choice is a "personal view" , just trust your choice and be happy!

The schedule is: Finish building new units in January with the funds from the two first uncoated units sold on ebay and with Indiegogo funds (they are on the way). Finish coating tests until the end of December. Sell these first coated units in January. Sell the first new units in January and February. Start building more units in February with the funds from selling these first coated units. And so on... So yes 2013 will be the sale moment.

PS.: From now, after the coating tests, the units will be offered to donors first until fill their will. Feel free to start a waiting list (no prepayment required).

• @kris Thanks for your words! I did a research about it and found this link:

http://biznik.com/articles/who-thinks-you-walk-on-water

If somebody can walk on the water, maybe he can dream of fly some day... metaphorical words!

• Apefos, im very happy for you!!! You have produced a complete product. This shows your good will, and determination. I like very much the look of the coatings, and fuck!!! you even give us the choice of coating color, wich many top manufacturers dont even think about.. The price is very fair, and i think you should put made in brasil by apefoso, engrave it damnit!!!!!!!. Can i make you a logo and the box for your new APEFOSCOPE ? Is for free, i hope you like the idea.

• @endotoxic thanks a lot, feel free to do it. I already have a logo in the first page in my site, but I think the scope deserves its own logo. Put it here in the topic so people can say their opinions. Maybe you can use the flares shape in the logo... About the box, I need to quote to realize it will not increase the final price, today I am using default cardboard boxes, fabric bag and bubble plastic.

About the price, this is the moment to say the coated units price (all with free international shipping):

uncoated (no coating): 360 usd

half multicoated and full multicoated: the default price is 420 usd but I will sell for 390.

gold coated and blue coated: default price is 480 usd but I will sell for 420. (the coating service ask more money to do it, they say it is more expensive to do due to different machines and materials and they don't do it constantly so they need to run the coating machine to do few lenses at a time.)

I think these prices are good: 360, 390, 420 with free shipping.

• I think I don't need to be shy to say when I was editing the video, after cut and lettering, I added the first music and when I hit play for the first time my eyes watered... I think this can be the theme song for "Apefoscope - The Man Behind The Glass" feature film (to dream is for free!)

If build Apefoscope is walk on water, make a movie is to fly, and to fly is not so easy... but to dream is easy and free!

• I am just crying now.

• "Don't cry little fish, don't cry, don't cry"

http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0028691/

• @apefos

Actually, I'm really liking the look of the uncoated one- should have bought that one on eBay! Can't wait to get one, think I might get an uncoated one and gold coated one for different uses.

• So the emotive moment has gone and now I will do the second coating test video: colored backlight and how do they affect the flare color in each coating. It is raining a lot here, so I need to wait the best day to do street shoots, this is why I started with inside shoots first.

@JohnBarlow Thanks! Do you believe I did not watch this classic movie until today? It is time to do it asap. Best thing I found now is I did not cry in the difficult moments, just in the end, in the successful moment, something like an outflow, a happy outflow after surpass all obstacles... Now I am feeling a good inner piece and it will be good for the work.

@silvertonesx24 I will build more units. stay tuned in the new video. thanks.

• If you know what a girl wants, don't be perverse and sadist waiting for her to ask, just give her what she wants, guess and fulfill her desires, and she will love you forever. In this case there is no girl, I am talking about a fellow of us:

I just shared the video within the members of Women Filmmakers group on vimeo, hope they like it.

• It seems all my efforts will down the drain... Or would you prefer glass instead of digital simulation? Is this similar to the film grain x digital added film grain debate? I would like to know your opinions about this:

http://www.cineflare.com/anamorphics/

• My favorites are the Half and Blue.

• Thanks @Vicharris I was waiting your comment.

I finished shooting the colored backlight flare tests. Results are amazing. Different behavior in each lens coating.

For the backlight I used a strong 1000w halogen hardlight (we call it sungun) with a dimmer to control the light power. (sorry for burning "non eco safe" / "non green" incandescent light, but they are the best looking light source)

I used 6 sheets of colored gels in front of the light: blue, green, yellow, red-orange, red, and pink of course! 42 usd in these sheets! I used two kind of red because sometimes the pure red get a magenta cast and a small orange tint in the red gel allows to avoid this so I added the red-orange to the test. I will edit it and upload soon.

Also I will edit another video: How the fstop diaphragm affects the flares and How the light intensity affects the flares.

When I was shooting the colored backlight tests I found the flares horizontal dimension changes when the fstop changes.

Fast fstops allows more wide flares, more horizontally stretched. Slow fstops allows smaller flares, more horizontally squeezed / shortened. The vertical dimensions of the flares does not change anyway.

The backlight intensity can make the flares more thin or a little more fat in the overall appearance. Also there is a range where the overdone backlight intensity starts to cause some blooming / glow / halo around the flares. To my taste avoid this is desired, but some small amount of these issues is good looking also.

You can control the backlight intensity using a dimmer (electronic light intensity control), different power lamps, nd gel sheets or changing exposure in camera (fstop, shutter, iso). To control the backlight intensity direct in the backlight will not change the exposure in front of the main subject. If you cannot control the backlight intensity (street shoots, and so on) you can add more light to the front of the subject to do a balance between the front and the backlight. Or you can just ignore light differences and just shoot... As a low budget guy I am always trying to get the best from available light and good images can be done under it.

• @apefos

Yeah no one wants CG flares- we want resolution and anamorphic bokeh. CG flares look so amateur without anamorphic bokeh.

I have a VidAtlantic anamorphic filter which is great with bokeh and provides an OK flare, but there is just something about having that extra resolution and properly placing your subjects in the frame with a true anamorphic attachment.

• @silvertonesx24 good to know!

I think my sense of humor about the pink color is not appropriate.

• I like the blue coating a lot. I'll likely order one as soon as it's available. :)

• The posts about the willing to buy the Apefoscope are making me thing about: what can I do to build more units faster to do ship?

I am with no money to mass production, so the only way for me is to sell the first coated units to donors and use this money and the money from the two units sold on ebay to build more units and so on. But probably this will be enough just to fill the donors order. For "no donors" I need to find another way.

The adapter development is finished, so I started to think about the preorder idea for "no donors".

From the start to end, I can build new units in 30 days. So I would like to know who feels comfortable and who does not feel comfortable with the idea of pay 50% in January day 02 in the start building moment and 50% in February day 02 in the shipping moment. I can keep posting here about it and show photos so you can feel safe about the manufacturing process.

So, the idea is each "no donor" who want to buy say if like this idea or not.

Also I will start to contact donors by email to ask about them, who wants to buy to know how many units to build, donors who did donation before the coating tests does not need to do preorder, they will pay in the shipping moment.

• Indiegogo Campaign is over. It raised 228 usd gross amount without removing paypal and indiegogo fees.

I sent an email to all PV and Indiegogo donors about who want to buy and I am waiting the replies. It is a total of 25 donors.