Personal View site logo
Apefos Scoperama Anamorphic Adapter Development Topic
  • 470 Replies sorted by
  • "Apefoscope Anamorphic Adapter - First Assembled Unit" (including the original hand made draw) sold on ebay for 360 usd, 10 days auction, start price 360 usd, one single bid at about one minute to the end of auction, can't say who bought, it was a private listing. Lenses inside the unit is the same used to do the night shots with flares in the first two videos uploaded to Vimeo. A collectible unit. Thank you all.

CIMG9896.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 712K
  • Why Adriano Apefos does not show his face?

1 - he is a beautiful, handsome, nice/good-looking, fetching, pretty guy but he is married and his wife feels jealous and prohibits him to show himself in the social network

2 - he is so ugly so he feels uncomfortable showing himself

3 - he is a shy guy who likes The Smiths songs and Biquini Cavadao songs

4 - he does not have a face

5 - his face is pink

6 - he is bald / hairless

7 - his face is showing lots of tiredness due to lots of work in the adapter project

8 - he is a fanboy of the "Headless Mule", a famous character in Brazilian folklore

8 - he is afraid of urban violence

9 - Apefoscope is a scam and he will run away with our money

10 - he is an honest and hardworking guy but he think his work says for itself and to show or not to show the face makes no difference

11 - he is hiding himself to raise people curiosity and in the correct moment he will shoot himself, upload to vimeo and charge a small amount in vimeo pay to view service to raise more funds to the project.

12 - he just want to work making good adapters, not searching for fans

13 - he is a craft worker, not an actor or model

14 - he has a trauma due to have suffered bullying in school

15 - he is diy addicted and has a nerd behavior similar to the hacker behavior

16 - he also like pink things, so every suppositions to VK behavior in the previous post applies to himself also

17 - he is afraid the other manufacturers kidnap him to rob Apefoscope tecnical specifications

18 - his head is a super computer, something like an android / robot and this is the reason he developed the Apefoscope so fast.

19 - Other reason you have, please elaborate.

20 - LOLing...

• I like The Smiths.

Do you mind if I ask what software it was that you found to do optical modeling?

• Doing an analyses, you said you like The Smiths, but you are not a shy guy because you do not mind doing such question. Best answer is point you to number 17 in my previous post and hide from your attempt to kidnap me!

• Everything is working as expected. I got the coated lenses from the coating service today. Talking to them I found they have another option, it is the same color of multicoated but I think it deserves a try, maybe it has another intensity, so Monday I will take a set of lenses to do this option I found. There is a photo showing the coated lenses inside the protective box in this post, please hold on the curiosity, I will show all the differences and features in the new video.

I will get the new bodies in Monday from the plastic service and will show a photo.

Thanks again for the donations. You are making it happens!

Edit post: The back pain is under control, I got a doctor meeting and he prescribed me an injection and some pills. Not fully healed yet but I can work.

P1000263.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 280K
  • Looking good!

• I already have my inlaws staying at the house so I've got no room to kidnap you.

Not even the name of the software?

• First Apefoscope shipped today, It was a few days delay since it sold November 29 because I was without bluray discs in stock to burn the two videos. I went downtown yesterday and got the blank disc and now it is shipped!

The medicine pills are helping, I can walk and sit at the desktop!

Next post I will show the new plastic bodies.

Now that Apefoscope is turning into a product I need to say I started to feel a little uncomfortable due to showing lots of details about the adapter. In the beginning it was more like a diy challenge, now it is turning into a commercial activity. Maybe it is time to keep some manufacturing secrets? I don't know... just following some intuition...

P1000265.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 364K
    P1000267.JPG
    1920 x 1080 - 351K
    CIMG9899.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 691K
  • As I promised here they are, the new black plastic bodies:

I just need a few days to finish rearranging the office/workshop. I started last week but I could not go on last days due to the back pain. Now I am feeling better and after all tools are in correct place I will assemble the adapters with the coated lenses and shoot the new video.

What I can say for now is: I looked through the new coated lenses and I liked what I saw!

CIMG9903.JPG
    1600 x 1200 - 717K
  • I'd say post less for now. Just to play it safe. :)

• @apefos, I hope you have completely recovered.

Did the coating improve the flare quality or reduce internal reflections? Please give us some teaser.

As for the manufacturing secrets... I hope you didn't sell your first unit to China ;)

• The back pain made me to keep quiet for some days. Also, after more than two months immersed in almost full time mental work, I was shoot down by a big tiredness. Suddenly I found myself trying to work but could not. I am feeling better now, but moving on not so fast (body and mind) to avoid another break.

Today I realized if I shoot every light situation with each coating version before upload, it will take too long for people see the results. So it seems it will be better I shoot one light situation with one version, upload it, and so on, until I complete all light situations with all versions.

I will leave a mystery about the first unit destiny for now. If the buyer wants to reveal some footage after get it, so everybody will know. About Brasil x China: I can't stop getting ideas about a script!

The coating footage will bring good surprises.

• Today it was 6 hours work until now plus 1 hour for lunch and rest.

I realized if I keep rearranging the office/workshop until the end it will take long time. So I decided to mix the tasks. I finished the project in how will be the final design to the workshop and clean, reinstall, recalibrate the drill machine. Separate just the tools needed to assemble the adapters.

Today I will start assembling 6 adapters with coated and uncoated lenses. It is a careful job. I think I can finish within 2 or 4 days. I need to feel how long I can work each day without get into stress again.

Tomorrow I have a meeting in the optical lab to get more lenses and also to see the three new grinding machines they got. Also get somethings to use in the office rearranging, screws, wood, plugs, wires...

• 9 hours work, enough for today. Lenses washed and dry, bodies washed and dry, ready to assemble.

• Today was a outside working day. Got new lenses from the optical lab. Bus and walk here and there to get things to rearrange the office/workshop. Now I got everything I need, just inexpensive things like screws, wires, plugs, pieces of wood... I can keep myself inside work.

I am using the Indiegogo money and the money from first unit selling to build more units, lenses and bodies. Indiegogo project let me get the money just after the donation so I can use it to build units to people who donates there, so I will have some units for the donors from PV and some units for donors from Indiegogo. And after the first sales, a new batch of lenses and bodies will be made, and so on...

From tomorrow I will concentrate in assembling the units with coated lenses and just after it I will shoot / edit / upload videos showing coating test comparisons.

The office/workshop rearranging will restart just after it.

I felt sad when DSLR revolution decreased 35mm adapter sales, now I feel happy working with adapters again! Thanks!

• The second unit is for sale on ebay. It was used by me to do tests. It is an uncoated version. From now the final units will be offered to donors first. It is buy it now, so first bid will get it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apefoscope-Anamorphic-Adapter-Second-Assembled-Unit-/321043418901

Next post I will show the assembled units with coated lenses.

• I love you dedication to this sir!

• @apefos

Hey great work. What is the difference between a coated version and the upcoming coated ones?

• @vicharris thank you! probably you are my most constant follower.

@silvertonesx24 did you mean uncoated x coated?

lens coating was developed to avoid unwanted reflections in optical system. When a light ray reaches a transparent surface, some amount pass trough and some amount are reflected. In a photographic objective with many glass elements this would make the system completely unusable due to lots of reflections, so the lens coating was developed to avoid reflections and solve this. The Apefoscope does not have many glass elements, so the uncoated version is usable and it has an unique feature, keep reading to understand:

In a spherical system the light spreads in all directions and the reflections get a circular shape. In a cylindrical system the light spreads in just one direction and this forms a line, this is the behavior of reflections in an anamorphic adapter. Sometimes an issue turns into a good feature. In cinema this is common. 24p strobes but people consider this the film look. Anamorphic reflections gets a horizontal line shape and people consider this the film look also.

So the goal in the lens coating for an anamorphic system is to smooth the reflections without delete them completely, to make them less annoying, but keep some amount for the film look.

The lens coating does not change the color of the light which pass trough it, but it can change the color of the reflections due to the colors of chemical elements used to build the coating material. So the lens flares probably will get a specific color. One of the most interesting features of the uncoated Apefoscope is it keeps the reflections with the same color of the source light, so you can get horizontal flares with different colors, for example, a police car can allow red or blue flares depending on the color of the light pulsing on the car. you can see this in the two Apefoscope videos on vimeo that was done with an uncoated version. Also the Apefoscope does not have many glass elements wich would make the uncoated system unusable, it works good.

• lens coating was developed to avoid unwanted reflections in optical system.

I though that main goal was to improve light transmission.

The lens coating does not change the color of the light which pass trough it, but it can change the color of the reflections due to the colors of chemical elements used to build the coating material.

Looks like both statements are incorrect. Last one - about "colors of chemical elements" is just bullshit.

• Improve light transmission was a goal, but avoid unwanted reflections was a goal also, Both was a main goal and work together, when you avoid the reflection more light will pass through, when you increase the light pass through it will decrease the reflection... they are inverse proportional. Increase the light transmission is important to make fast lenses, avoid reflection is important to make the lens usable. (in the Apefoscope case, the uncoated version is usable because it has few lens elements, so it will not decrease the light transmission significantly and the flares will be pronounced, but usable and with the feature of keep same light source color in the flare.)

about the "bullshit" you said quoting the reflections colors, I will let the next video answer it. An image is better than one thousand words.

Now it is 7:30 am here and I will go to the office/workshop to continue the assembling job. It is time to work more than talk!

• While my interest in dual focus adapter is pretty low (and I learned that focus trough is about the bucks you pay for a used car..) I still follow this tread because its so great to see somebody burning for his very own project. I wish you the very best and hope you will sell plenty of your handmade gems.

• Time to lunch now. Assembling is working in progress.

@Meierhans I did not understand the comparison with used cars.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev In the old 35mm adapter times, there was lots of people trying to build adapters, so I developed mine and I found when people started to scold, threaten, disagree, they were trying to make me say things I was keeping for myself. Or maybe run away with me due to competition. In that time I was banned from one forum site and some time after I found the brother of the site owner was a 35mm adapter manufacturer also.

I am thinking about to do 4 videos: candle light, spot light with different source colors, street shoots, and the adapter review (fstop test, chromatic aberration test, center and corner sharpness test, build quality). Depending on the results of these videos maybe I can consider the project successful. So it seems the moment to completely stop posting in this topic is arriving for me...

• @apefos

Do not worry. No one here seems to disagree with you, I am not even talking about other things.

It is just your statements about coating were strange.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev no problem!

Oh God, it is raining ice stones here! The day Apefoscope Final Units are getting ready the sky Gods and dead scientists got angry! Galilean, calm down!... I am your grandson!... (hey man, stop screaming towards the sky!)

Just waiting lens cement to dry!