Personal View site logo
Driftwood - Experimental Series 2: Low Rider, Cluster v8, V9, Intravenus II, GH3onaGH2, AN, Boom
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • @surfculture, try Valkyrie 444 TYPE-ZERO2 Candidate1.5e. It's an extremely stable gop3 setting with superb image quality.

• @surfculture.. Try Cluster 6 Drewnet and Flowmotion and decide yourself. Both are rock steady.

• Hello, I follow this subject since any time but I don't know what hack is better for me. I work in HBR for my work ( documentary's tv, fiction etc... in france), I used to lenses canon fd 50mm and 28mm and SLRmagic 12mm and cards sandisc 16Gb/95Mbits and 32Gb/45Mbits. I tried cluster V6 and now cluster v7 gop6 sharp2, but with v7 I have bug when I filmed mettalic's frame for example and it doesn't span all the time and it's the same with two cards. My Question is simple, what hack can I used to pass these limits of time and bugs ? I can up the flows but the new hack musn't stop after 4Go and it must to be sure. Thank you at all for your answers, and sorry for my bad english.

• @brudney +1 very good question!

• Driftwood-> I know you're probably very busy plus GH3 seems to be everyone's new favourite toy:] but is there any news concerning Cluster v8 and Cinema Smooth? Do you think you'll make it before the end of the world? ;) Thanks!

• @jokami looks great, what patch, lenses & filters did you use?

• Another newly edited short!

Enjoy :-)

• @shian. Gabrielle should give American Idol, The Voice or the X Factor a try. She could go a long way.

• Filmed with the Apocalypse Now patch. Panasonic 7-14mm and 12-34mm.

http://gameforjapan.com

• @shian

Shure 58 is just great

• @shian Final product looks great. Niece is lucky to have an Uncle who's a professional in the business.

• Thank you, everyone.

@matt_gh2 No it was the 650 set to flood - no diffusion. The glow comes from the flo-bar. I actually wish I had more time to light. The key light was in the wrong place for the stuff where she's facing camera, but I didn't have time to make any adjustments, we ripped through this thing, so I set the light where it would work best for both angles. It was all one setup, no adjustments, just changing lenses on the front angle. The wide is the 50mm with the wide angle adapter on it (making it a 35), and the 85mm for everything else. I shot dead on with both lenses, then moved around to get her from an angle as well as the guitar and the fretting. And then In the end, I only had 26 minutes of footage - 6 takes of a 4 minute song, and 2 minutes of candles with the 85.

@kingmixer yes, absolutely.

@HillTop1 I can't remember where I got it. I thought I got it from the old version of this thread.

@jpbturbo yeah, but she doesn't like the heavy picks... whattayagonnado?

• @shian,

Nice video and a good song from your niece. I think her Taylor could sound better with a heavier pick though.

• @shian, great video man. The Intravenus patch you're using is the one that @driftwood didn't release yet?

• Shian, that video had a great look and 'feel'. Very well done. Is Intravenus your go-to patch for IQ now?

• A simple music video; set up and shot in under an hour (so the lip sync is.... a little off here and there. We only got 2 takes per angle, and in some cases I was doing the El Mariachi thing where I was shooting half of one take on the guitar, and half on her face cuz we were running out of time)

Shot in my living room on GH2 Intravenus 24L - using a single Arri 650 on a dimmer, a 2 foot off-the-shelf fluorescent light, and candles.

Intravenus 24L, Smooth (-2,-2,-2,-2), SS-60, ISO800, Nikon 50mm f1.8, Nikon 85mm f2, Very light grade in ColorGHear (custom vignette, CineGhamma Warm, and Density)

Song Details:

Words and Music by Gabrielle Graves, Arranged, engineered and produced by Shian Storm

Recorded using a Perception 200 on vocals, a Shure 58 on the guitar, a dual channel Alesis Compressor/Limiter, a Mackie 1202 mixer to a Tascam DR-07 mp3 recorder, and mastered in Garageband.

If you feel like it. Go to the youtube page and hit "like" to help my talented niece get a leg up.

• @shian Looks great. Love that first shot - killer lighting. Was that some kind of diffused rim light? Great stuff here.

• Quickie music video shoot.

Challenge: setup, shoot, and strike in under an hour with just 2 lights and some candles. Not my best work, but a fun challenge. (video waiting on artist approval before uploading)

Shot using Intravenus 24L to give me a longer take limit on my 32GB card (song length 4:04 - take limit on 24H 3:56)

Intravenus 24L Smooth (-2,-2,-2,-2) SS-60 ISO800 Nikon 50mm f1.8 Nikon 85mm f2

Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 10.00.22 AM.png
    1917 x 1077 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.52.58 AM.png
    1917 x 1076 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.52.40 AM.png
    1918 x 1076 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.51.17 AM.png
    1917 x 1078 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.50.17 AM.png
    1917 x 1078 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.48.38 AM.png
    1915 x 1077 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 9.48.19 AM.png
    1917 x 1076 - 2M
    Screen Shot 2012-12-05 at 10.15.53 AM.png
    1914 x 1075 - 2M
  • @matt_gh2 Go for it man! I suck at post work an I have a shitload to CC and grade really soon for this thing. vicharris07@gmail.com

• @vicharris Out of curiosity I did a crude 10 sec image adjustment/color grade in photoshop on those 2 grabs. You've got real potential on the cop shot. The guy in car is still a nice shot after grading. If interested I can forward to you.

• @vicharris EDIT: Just noticed a few posts above that you did just that. The Rokinon looks much better than the Pany 20mm. (referring to grab of cop with flashlight). BTW - that's a great shot, kinda Lynch like, but different somehow. I'm sure with slight curves adjustment that will be a killer shot. Thanks for posting. Gotta love Boom

• @matt_gh2 If you look right above I posted one of the cop with the Rokinon 85mm lens. The problem with the larger primes is that they shake the whole rig a bit more. Lenses like the SLR Magic 12mm are good but it's just shit at 2 or 2.8 compared to the Rokinons or older AIS Nikon glass but the smallest I have is 50mm. I Picked up this 20mm to do some low angle stuff with a motorcycle tomorrow since it's so light and fast. Whattda gonna do!! :) I'll go back to shooting the rest of the PSA with Rokinon Primes. BTW, the 14-140 is much more video than the 20mm. I actually had to shoot one shot with it two days ago because I need the reach. It was shot over my should when I was handheld with a 14mm Rokinon on my B cam. Trying to cut the footage now and it looks like shit sandwiched between a Rokinon 14mm and 24mm Cine combo.

• @vicharris I would try those Rokinon lenses you used before and see how they play with Boom. My only experience with the Panasonic lenses is the 14-140 and I always found that lens video-like. Don't know if the Pany 20mm is the same. Would be really interested in footage or frame grabs from Rokinon lenses with Boom.

EDIT: Just noticed a few posts above that you did just that. The Rokinon looks much better than the Pany 20mm. (referring to grab of cop with flashlight). BTW - that's a great shot, kinda Lynch like, but different somehow. I'm sure with slight curves adjustment that will be a killer shot. Thanks for posting. Gotta love Boom

• I decided to go with Boom for the rest of my night shoots for the PSA. Here's another grab from tonight with the Pany 20mm. First time I took it out for a spin with the Car Rig. Looks great with Boom but I must say, a little video like but sharp non the less at 1600 ISO. So far Boom is looking pretty damn good for night stuff too. I used it a few nights ago for some more scenes and was pushing it in post. It held up pretty damn well IMO. This is right out of 5DtoRGB.

Screen shot 2012-12-04 at 10.19.35 PM.png
    1099 x 589 - 915K