Personal View site logo
Work in Progress, Motorsport film
  • Work-in-progress, rough ideas/edits, of a short film I am making, about the run up to competing at The French Hillclimb Masters, at Saint Goueno, France, in June 2013.

In-car footage shot using GoPro HD cameras. All other footage shot using a hacked Panasonic GH2 camera (Driftwood Apocalypse Now hack) with a Panasonic 12mm-35mm 2.8 lens. Edited/Graded in Premiere Pro CS6.

(I'll post updates as new footage is shot and rough edited. I plan to have the finished film in July 2013 after the event)

Comments, Criticism (positive) and Advice most welcome, I'm here to learn!.

• 6 Replies sorted by
  • GoPro footage looks really good. Which model version was it? Big cosworth and caterham/locost/lotus fan so big thumbs up here. FOV on GoPro shot made the track look narrower than I think it should be, so that made me feel on the edge of the seat watching this. Looking forward to the finished product.

• Thanks.

Gopro footage was using an orginal GoPro HD at 25fps 1080p (not the GoPro Hero2, or the new latest 3 model). I might uprade to the new GoPro 3 model for next season if funds allow.

The tracks are narrower than you may think, averaging about 14 foot across or thereabouts. I know what you mean about the FOV on the GoPro, but it isn't too far off the mark....believe me, the in car footage looks really slowed down, compared to what is like when driving the car ;-)

Any comments/feedback ref GH2 footage, narrative, style, etc?

Cheers.

• @skydragon Very cool. Great looking footage, both the GoPro and the GH2. Footage all worked well together. Narrative feel was very cool - you get pulled in when watching. Really well done. Keep rockin and you'll have a great finished product. Please post when completed.

(One other thing - are those tire treads a bit low/balding? lol)

Very cool video - great stuff. Good intimate feel that you don't see when the big tv stations do a story on race car drivers. Rock on

• Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.

I was worried that my narration was a bit naff (like most people I hate the sound of my own recorded voice, weird isn't it). I don't regard myself as having a good 'voice' or being a good speaker.

I also find it really hard to watch something that you've made yourself, over and over again and still be objective about it.

Ref - >>(One other thing - are those tire treads a bit low/balding? lol)<< The tyres on the car in the video are actually quite fresh. They are super-soft compound Avon ZZR race tyres, effectively cut-slicks specifically made for short-distance Hillclimb and Sprint usage. They are designed to be very soft/sticky even when cold and will start to melt after only a few minutes of hard usage. Bizarrely, they are E-Marked and 100% road legal...honestly Officer ;-) Although using them in heavy rain and standing water can prove rather interesting....

• @skydragon, you got some nice POV GoPro shots in there but are you going to get some shots from outside (GH2) as the car fly pass by on the track? Not just in car POV shots. They get boring quick.

• @Hilltop 1 - Good feedback, thanks.

Agreed, I really need to get some good external footage at some events, as you say.

I've tried unsuccessfully to do this in the past. But have found that it's a nightmare to try and enlist a non-photographer to shoot stable, decent footage unsupervised at an event, so i need to look at a different strategy on how to do this.

My 13-year old son needs to start learning how to use a GH2 over the winter I guess !!