Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH3 + Steadycam: how to focus properly?
  • Hello everyone. Since I bought a 12-35 2.8 (coming from manual primes) I'm facing the problem of setting the camera for a proper autofocus function when used on steadicam for wedding videos. I am using AFF and Quick AF ON but I get lots of images stuck in out of focus. Any advice?

Thanks

• 5 Replies sorted by
  • Manual focus, small aperture and hyperfocal. That's one solution.

• Without an assistant camera pulling focus remotely (how it's usually done in pro situations) your best bet is to be hyperfocal on a short lens. Auto focus is going to give you spotty results, no way around that.

• I find I get best AF results using 23-area focus rather then center area. It will go off sometimes but as long as you move smoothly and keep something with contrast in the frame it works surprisingly well.

• Try AFC, that seems to work better.

• I use my GH3 + 12-35mm on a Glidecam HD2000 very often. It's all about manual focus and small aperture! I'm playing around with having my SmallHD DP4 on the camera for it's focus assist feature.