Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Tascam DR-40
  • 120 Replies sorted by
  • Hi, one morw questin about the Tascam.

I bought new rechageble 1.2 V 2.100 mAhNiMh batteries and loaded them fully.

I have set the battery inter in the Tascam to NiMh. I have usesd the Tascam for test for 10 miinutes and already it lost the full sign of the batteries and only shows 2 of 3 now load signs now. No phantom pówer.

Will they hold for a few hours or shall I use duracell batteries? I just want to make sure that it will work during the Photokina

• By load signs do you mean the battery indicator on the screen with the 3 bars? If so, mine goes to 2 pretty fast but stays there for a long time. I've used the same batteries for a 2 day shoot and the indicator stayed on 2 bars the whole time. You should be fine. I'd say have a backup set just to be sure.

• It might be caused by the fact that alkali batteries deliver 1.5 V while rechargeables usually only give you 1.2 V. This might fool the device into thinking battery is half empty.

• @Meierhans is right. This is indeed the case because the meters try to determine battery level by measuring voltage drop rather than current output. In the DR-40 menu there is actually a setting for choosing the battery type but I think the meter still assumes 1.5 volt and that is why they stay at half full for quite a while using rechargeable batteries. @AKED how did it go?

• Same deal here @vicharris, I've been using Energizer NiMh rechargables rated at 2300, and fully charged they're only at 2 bars, but they stay there for longer than alkalines...they do last longer, just have to trust that! I've used them on wedding jobs where the recording is going for hours (reception dancing), and i thought the batteries would have died, but they were still recording even after I packed up everything and was ready to leave. Be sure to change the power settings to NiMh instead of Alkaline.

• @fosterchen I feel like a tool. I never switched over the settings to NiMh! Funny. Thanks for the info. I've only been using it for 8 months!

• @Aked By the way, thanks for all the awesome work over there!

• Thanks. It all went fine. In the beginnig I was not really sure, if I would need it, but it was an excellent choice. Thanks Vitaliy, for convincing me to get one.

Regarding the batteries, you were right. I have no clue about the technical stuff, but indicators the never moved from 2 bars before I recharged them and yes, I switched to Ni-Mh. So all that went fine.

During the press conference I could connect directly to the sound mixer of the congress hall, so I had the original signal that they send to the boxes. I has a XLR to 2.5" cable, so I tried to recoird the sound with the GH2, but luckily I tested it before and the sound was way over the top.

I put an XLR cable into the Tascam and the same. Then I realized, that the mixer gave a line out and not a mike signal (I am not a sound man, so for me that was good thinking. For a sound man he would probably only say: "of course it is line out....") Luckily, I read a bit in the maual and had a good look at the Tascam before and I remembered, that oyu can switch it to Line in and there it was, a beautiful clean, alomost noise free sound. You can hear it here:

and here

For the interview an wanted to use a Shure for the answers and an electret head mike with the 48V phantom power for the questions, but it did not work. A LOT of noise, loose connection and almost no signal. So I ordered a dynamic haed mike, which arrived on the day of the interview, unfortunately I was gone already.

So I decided, it was more impoortant to get the clean answers than the clean questions, I put an external mike on my GH2 and put the Shure mike in to the Tascam for the answers.

The sourrounding noise was really loud during my questions, so once I have asked, I turnded the level of that channel to 0 during the editing so only the Tascam sound is to be heared during the answers, and again, it worked like a charm.

See and hear here:

At home I tried the dynamic head mike and it wold have worked beautifully. But, too late.

Anyway, thanks for the help here and thanks to Vitaliy for all of his support.

Dieter

• So for all, that want to use the Tascam in such a situation I can recommend a dynamic head mike that can enter with a 6.3" jack into the Tascam, because that does not require any phantom power. And the other mike of course shouldbe a good xlr mike.

• @vicharris, I found that if I keep the battery setting on alkaline, the NiMH rechargables last longer as indicated on the meter...hopefully it doesn't slowly damage the recorder somehow internally, but the longer lasting helps on full day shoots!

Also I was wondering if it would be better to record in BWF format for better syncing in post. I found that the 48kh 16bit Wav files tend to be off by a couple frames maybe 15 mins. into it. Maybe the metadata in the BWF keeps it locked at 29.97? (don't know if 24p works fine)

• Hmmm, Ive only shot 24p with it and the one time I've recorded extended footage, an acting seminar, I've yet to sync up 3 hours of footage! As soon as the people I recorded it for give a damn, maybe I'll sync it up! :-)

• I am trying to use the GH2 (Pasadena Pulse Audio/Flow Motion 2.02) with a Tascam DR-40.

I am using an Audio Technica with XLR phantom power attached to the DR-40, and the DR-40 Attached to the GH2.

I noticed there are 4 levels on the GH2:

Level 1: Level 2: Level 3: Level 4:

What is the best level for recording dialog?

What settings will work best for getting crisp, clear sound with very little noise?

• For best results you're best off just recording straight to the DR-40 then syncing in post

• @Mckinise

How did you attach DR-40 to GH2?

• I have the DR-40 attached to a Sescom Y Splitter with an audio out and a headset jack. Audio out plugs into a right angle adapter (2.5) which plugs into the GH2.

The GH2 is set on Level one.

This allows me to get sound on both the DR-40 and the GH2. I

• I need a help if you can, please. Today I have the Panasonic GH1 with no audio control. In a few day I ll buy the new GH3 with audio control . I have the Rode Video Mic Pro . I wish to pick the dr 40 to use it as the main audio recorder sending the audio directly to the camera via 3.5 plug . But I dont know if this will be better than using only the Rode Videomic Pro. What do you think ? The zoom dr 40 mics are good enough to use directly to the camera ? This way I can avoid post syncing . THanks

• Just got DR-40 and have tried to hook it up to GH3 to avoid post synching. I have connected a 3.5 mm male to male between the dr-40 headphone port/ line out and the gh3s mic port.

Anybody know why I get a low level hiss when I do this? The recorded sound from the dr40 is very clean but not when I listen back on the gh3. I have tried multiple cables so I don't think that is the issue.

My plan eventually was to feed a wireless mic receiver in to dr40 and then have both sources going into gh3 to avoid synching in post. If I could get rid of the hiss then this would work really well.

• Sph1nxster , did you try lowering your line out level on the DR-40?

• @blackappy yeah tried that and it just made the hiss quieter.

Having looked into this, the line out of the DR-40 needs to be changed to a mic input before going into the GH3. This cable here can do that.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/746643-REG/Sescom_LN2MIC_TASDR100_LN2MIC_TASDR100_Line_Out_to.html

i'm going to try it out and see what happens.

• Just wanted to mention to those considering this recorder.....

The DR-40 makes a horible "helicopter noise" when you are recording if you have an XLR mic like the m66 senhiesser(for example) attached as soon as you hit record.... Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but my workaround is to get the dr-40 into "standby" mode...then you can get a cleaner signal(no helicopter)into the Gh2 (I am using the sescom cable btw) but you cant record to both simultaniously without "the copter of death"...as I call it.....

My experience is that whether its on battery or phantom this helicopter of death WILL NOT go away...

even with the newest firmware on the dr-40-

I wish I had just saved up more and got a zoom....

• @no_surrender recommend the Sescom cable then?

I'm just trying to avoid post-sync as much as I can

• @No_SuRRenNDeR Do you have an example of the helicopter of death? I use a DR40 and not sure if I've heard this before but I do know the noise floor isn't that great.

• The helicopter sound is the result of using unbalanced input. DR-40 is designed to be used with balanced mics. However, there is a work-around to get rid of that bug. When you start recording, you begin to hear the chop-chop interference, which must be due to some sort of internal clocking getting active (timecode clock?). Then, you press the MENU button. The moment you see menu appears (and timecode disappears), you get a clean signal. The recording still goes on, but you just do not see the timecode. Nevertheless, the moment you press MENU again, chop-chop comes back with the appearance of timecode.

Try and see for yourself. I assume Tascam never assumed that unbalanced mics will be used in XLR ports. A future firmware may (or may not, depending on the nature of the bug) correct this but so far I either used balanced mics with no chop-chop or used unbalanced ones with the MENU trick.

Alternatively, you can buy a $15 or so unbalanced-balanced converter and use your unbalanced mics on the Dr-40 with no problem.

Also, instead of the overpriced Sescom cable, buy a $8 KOSS VC-20 volume controller to attenuate the line-out output to mic-level. It also protects the camera's mic port.

• Ahh, all my mics are balance so that's why I never hear it. Funny thing though, went to set yesterday. Pulled out my gear, hooked up my Sony Lavs to the talent. Hooked everything to my 40, turned it on...nothing. It's dead in the water. It's never been dropped and in a protected bag since I bough it. Don't think it's a year old yet. Not good.