Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Best lens for stabiliser / glidecam / steadycam
  • Hi,

I've recently fallen in love with glidecam shots and want to shoot with it more :). I have shoot this vid (my second time using glidecam)

with glidecam hd-1000, gh2 and 20mm f1.7.

And here are my findings:

• Love small weight of full set. Allows you to hold frame for long time.
    • Love low light performance of this lens.
    • I'm happy with focal lenght however never had oportunity to try wider angle. Common opinion is that they come out even better with stabiliser (however I'm quite happy with framing on this ocasion).
    • Didn't like slow AF I was loosing focus often and it took time to refocus (however that time I had "continuus AF" turned on, now I'll be refocusing on press of remote shutter).

Minding above criteria would you recomend an "ultimate" lens to work with stabiliser / glidecam ?

• 4 Replies sorted by
  • The Panny 14mm 2.5 is what I use most on stabiliser, sometimes with the Panny Wide angle adapter as well, it's faster and smoother at focusing than the 20mm as has internal focus. However I usually close down the aperture to around f4 or just under, lock focus and shoot with a deep depth of field. Maybe not so good for you In low light conditions though.

Another one to look at if you need OIS is the tiny panny 12-32mm with mega OIS http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8466/12-32mm-panasonic-m43-lens-aka-little-gem

• Did you use a body vest/body pod for the hd-1000? If not does it fatigue your arm after a while?

• I use the Olympus 12mm f2.0. It's small, bright and works well with C-AF. Not cheap though.

• I've titled this topic "best lens for stabiliser". And have to say that Olympus 12mm seems to be a winner for that one so far. As you said grisnjam, bit pricy. Anyway still waiting for sgestions.

I was looking at 12-32mm but F3.5 for shot like above could not be not enough. Also not sure how I'm feeling about lack of focus ring. Even though I don't use it while on glidecam.

PiotrJ: No vest. Some fatige is there but it's not as bad as I was reading it is. Set of glidecam hd 1000, gh2 and pancake lens weights very little and when using other hand to support this kit (when shot allows you) you can go for very long time.