Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
All is good, kind of, may be
  • The data leave no doubt that the inexpensive oil is vanishing quickly. Conventional oil production peaked in 2008 at about 70 million barrels a day and is declining by about 3.3 million barrels a day, every year. Saudi Arabia pumps about 10 million barrels a day. The math says a new Saudi Arabia has to be found every three years to offset the conventional oil drop off. Good luck.

About one-quarter of conventional production comes from the 20 biggest fields and most of them are in decline, some precipitously. North Sea oil production peaked at 4.5-million barrels a day in 1999. This year’s production is forecast at between 1.2 million and 1.4 million barrels a day. The so-called Forties field, the North Sea’s biggest, has been losing 9 per cent a year for more than 20 years. Ditto two other North Sea biggies – Brent and Ninian.

Great Britain shed its status as an energy powerhouse about a decade ago, when it became a net energy importer. Its energy import bill is horrendous. Last year, Britain spent almost £22-billion ($38-billion) buying foreign oil, natural gas and coal.

Repeat all over the world, from Mexico to Indonesia. Indonesia’s oil production has been in steady decline since the mid-1990s, and the country has gone from oil exporter to importer.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/industry-news/energy-and-resources/inexpensive-oil-vanishing-at-alarming-rate/article15966497/

• 2 Replies sorted by
  • I work on the Ninian in the North Sea. They have a plan to increase production over the next 10 years. Companies are heavily investing in the North Sea again, and I would imagine this will only increase production. I don't think it will ever get back to 4.5 million though. Those days are long gone....

• They have a plan to increase production over the next 10 years. Companies are heavily investing in the North Sea again, and I would imagine this will only increase production.

Yep, they are invested. But last time I checked EROI is going down rapidly and overall left volumes are not big.