Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Sony CineAlta F65 topic, 8K 16bit raw camera

cenealta.jpg
    767 x 743 - 94K
    cenealta1.jpg
    736 x 947 - 244K
    cenealta2.jpg
    736 x 774 - 258K
    cenealta3.jpg
    729 x 949 - 244K
    cenealta4.jpg
    723 x 954 - 237K
    cenealta5.jpg
    719 x 752 - 169K
    cenealta8.jpg
    729 x 972 - 209K
    cenealta6.jpg
    706 x 700 - 168K
    cenealta7.jpg
    728 x 716 - 259K
  • 20 Replies sorted by
  • I am really surprised at the price of this camera. The CineAlta F35 was a Hollywood camera only available to big budget films, it was the A camera on Red Tails with Philip Bloom on the DSLRs :)

That camera was always rented or owned by the studios but Sony sold it to studios for roughly $500,000.

Now the successor the F65 is just $65,000 which means it competes with the RED Epic and Arri Alexa as a general production tool for anything from film and TV to large indie crews and universities. Very competitive price Sony.
  • Yep, Sony is serious this time.

Most probably in few years RED will be eliminated, and Arri will remain in small niche.
  • Man that is sexy shit. I just hope one day to be able to afford something like an FS100.
  • Well, RED obviously kicked some asses, and now they are awake.

But does my camera get higher resolution if I tilt it 45 degrees? As far as I can see, this is still a Bayer pattern!
  • its always the same, big company get asleep, then wakes up lunch big technology, wait and sleep again, till other fly like red begin to bother. LOL 8K hahahahaha
  • F65 VS Film? How about with f65 grain characters.. does it still like plastic?
  • "Most probably in few years RED will be eliminated, and Arri will remain in small niche."

Not Likely. There are more factors at play than mere sony tech specs.
  • >There are more factors at play than mere sony tech specs.

Absolutely true :-)
  • I think this is a very good price point from Sony however the F65 is just too big compare to Epic. Red will eventually catch up in term of spec for their upcoming monstrous sensor
  • IMHO it depends a lot on how well S3D is catching up. Two Epics are much smaller in a stereo rig, but most feature projects won't mind the size of a single F65.
  • If anyone has found any footage, please share. Would be nice to see if it has the low-light capability of the Alexa.
  • One Hollywood producer that I met last month told me that his next film will be shot using this new Sony f65 early next year in England ..
  • Ah, finally one of the big boys seems to be truly moving to the next level. The real excitement . . . this stuff can only go one direction from here: CHEAPER. Nobody needs more DR, better color, higher resolution, better shutter, more advanced than "RAW". Sure, they will make $65K cameras in the future with "higher resolution, DR, etc.", but who needs 'em? get me to film quality, and I'll be a very happy camper. The GH2 gets REAL close, but as I have said, only one direction now, and that's CHEAPER.
  • Ed David, who a few of us have probably seen posting around on many other forums, recently got a Sony F65!! (he also has 3x F35! And a few F3 bodies too)

• Recently watched "Only the Brave", which was shot on a F65, and was wondering: Why is it that so many movies shot on this camera type have some annoying "greenish" tint to them? I mean clearly, whatever color skew the sensor may have in that regard, it should be compensatable for during post-processing.

(The resolution of the UHD BluRay though was flawless, and the low noise level really appreciated.)