Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What shotgun microphones are being used directly plugged into the GH3?
  • I just got my GH3 and am very disappointed that I cannot use the AT875R on it, because it gives a mic level which is too low. What shotgun microphone are being used directly plugged into this camera beside the standard ones like sennheiser mke 400, Rode Video mic, Panasonic DMW-MS2E etc.? (Couldn't find a topic about it, if it is already discussed somewhere else, feel free to cancel topic)

• 10 Replies sorted by
  • ntg3 + irig(small cheap phantom) with gh3

• I don't want to use Juicedlink or Beachtek. I am looking for a directly plugin.

• I suggest getting a juicedlink preamp. I have bought a couple used off of fleabay for a great discount. They should make any mic work, and will improve the quality of pretty much any mic you use. I can test it on my GH2 if there is interest, but I usually record to my Zoom H1 via the juiced link cx231 (to bump up the quality a bit more, and get monitoring out of the Zoom).

• I use a Sennheiser MKE 600 on one of my GH3s and a MKE 400 on the other. The 600 is a great mic for the price and can be powered via 1 AA battery or phantom power.

• I got the AT875R for my GH2 and works great. Too bad the mic levels are different in the GH3. Sometimes to gain a little, it's not worth the hassle. Will be keeping the GH2 around a little longer. I'd be interested in hearing what decent mic does work with the GH3. You could feed the mic into a Zoom H1, but that just means more mounting and pressing buttons.

• Well, I am not looking for a particular cheap microphone but for a real good one - like the AT875R is.

• I use a Sony ECM-DS70P condenser mic + good quality cable. works quite well

• Is there a known reason why the AT875R does not work with the GH3?

• Interested in finding out about this too. I do know that the Rode video mic works cuz I have tried a rented one. I'm sure like me, you're looking for something that's a lil cheaper.