Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
US: Unemployment
  • Overage unemployment is 9.1% (I won't go here how funny it is calculated).
    16.7% blacks (afro-american is politcorrect term) are officially unemployed, setting new record for last 30 years.
    Young black unempoyment is 46.5%.

More details at:
    http://bls.gov/news.release/empsit.t02.htm
  • 138 Replies sorted by
  • Oh....don't get me started... :-)
  • Not surprised, can't make the lazy work when the Gov. allows them to suckle the taxpayers tit.
  • I think the root of the problem is that there simply aren't enough jobs for the size of the population in the US. The infrastructures of our cities cannot support us anymore. You can see it plain as day in cities like LA where a commute to work 10 miles away takes 2 hours... if this is left unchecked, the commute will eventually take longer than the actual work day, and it will be too late to prevent the collapse of the city. It made sense in the agricultural and industrial eras to populate an area as much as possible, but not anymore, we've transitioned out of that time-period. It makes no sense that people without jobs, and on welfare, still have the right to have 5 children if they desire... it doesn't make any sense at all. We need to wake up and start being more logical over here.

The mindset of people in the US here is too entangled in scapegoat-ism. i.e. People think they are allowed to do whatever they want, and if something goes wrong... then it's someone else fault... or the government's... or someone didn't give them enough opportunity... or blah blah blah.
  • @KCG

From your comment I infer several things:

1) Black people are lazy and the younger they are the lazier.

2) Black people prefer welfare to work.

3) When unemployment doubles for young black people suddenly twice as many young black people become lazy and prefer welfare.

4) Welfare causes unemployment.

Are you kidding? The argument is circular and backwards. If a higher percentage of black people are on welfare, it is easily explained by the fact that a higher percentage of them are out of work. All I think that indicates is that we in the USA still have a problem with racism. If you look at international statistics you will see that those countries with low unemployment (by a long shot) are countries with significant social programs - where almost everybody "suckles the taxpayers tit" to some extent. That would imply that welfare reduces unemployment in the long run.

Clearly you are entitled to your opinion. I find it hard to stomach such an abuse of statistics, however. Like the old saying goes - if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Chris

• @cbrandin

I don't think KCG was implying that at all. He was just saying, in general, that people are less inclined to work when there is a safety net built out of tax payers dollars. It has nothing to do with race. Statistics may lean towards one race over another... but that's just how the cards fell at that particular time. It could have been Caucasians, could be Hispanics... doesn't matter.

Hell, I'd rater get handouts too than work... wouldn't anybody? That's why it just shouldn't be allowed. Unless it was caused by "an act of God" (yea, that's actually a legal term) where your house exploded, or you get into some kind of accident, ect...
  • But that's the logical consequence of the comment - irrespective of the intent.

I liked your comment much better - the one about scapegoating. Blame young black people for being unable to get a job instead of those who won't hire them (sometimes for very bad reasons). Welfare is not the problem.

And there is no way I'd rather have a handout than work.

Chris

• bwhitz is correct, my post has nothing to to with race and everything to do with the state of the government.
    I won't ignore that the original post (relating to blacks) itself seems racial because it is! However the numbers do not lie and come from bls.gov which is non-bias.
    Please don't bring a race issue into it, I think Vitaly probably brought it up because the numbers are so high if it were true of another race of people I guess you could infer what you stated above. However there are several factors that tie into those numbers and the least of which I'm sure are race relations among Americans.
    BTW cbrandin your inference probably has more to do with the nature of Vitaly's post and (trying to read between the lines) than the resulting comment from me.
  • @KCG

Point taken. I wasn't trying to imply that you are racist. I was just pointing out that the logical consequence of blaming the victims of this recession is that those most in need get most of the blame - and that does feed racist inclinations with these statistics.

Thinking about history many parallels between today and 1934-1936 can be drawn. Starting in about 1934 there was a "new conservative" movement that was in reaction to the government's recovery efforts (which, by then were working quite well). It's astonishing how similar their rhetoric was to what I hear today: "Welfare is bad", "the government needs to stop spending", "social assistance programs motivate people to not work", etc..., etc....

What happened was that these "new conservatives" gained considerable power in 1936 and the recovery stopped immediately and we slipped right back into depression - it was called the "recession within the depression". Within two years the "new conservatives" had totally discredited themselves, government programs went back into effect, and recovery started once again never looking back.

I don't like the idea of blaming those in need - I prefer the idea of helping them, even if it does raise taxes. I think history teaches that.

I apologize for any unfortunate implications I made - they were not directed at you personally, they were directed at what I perceived as an extremely unfortunate misdirection of blame.

Chris
  • @cbrandin "Blame young black people for being unable to get a job instead of those who won't hire them (sometimes for very bad reasons)."

I don't think there really is anyone to blame here... There is just not enough jobs. Period.

You can't blame businesses for not hiring more people than they need (that will only de-value everyone's work). And you cannot blame the young kids for being unemployed, when there is no demand for their labor. If we are to blame someone, we need to look at who let the world get into this state in the first place... which might get tricky.

"Welfare is bad"

Welfare itself is not bad. Help those who need it and they will in turn help the rest of society. It sounds very good in theory. However, it makes one big assumption... that all people are good and have the noble intentions at heart. The fact is, is that most of us are still selfish animals with primitive brains. Most people are still wired to be opportunists from biology. Welfare takes from those producing and gives it to those who are not. That's the bottom line, and a huge contradiction if you want a society to survive. If welfare is to continue, it needs to be more strict... with IQ tests and such. Or maybe for kids under 18 in poorer areas... use welfare money to instead reward kids for good grades or community service or something? Nobody should get something for nothing...
  • OK, but if you also won't let the government be responsible for recovery programs then who is left to try to make things better? I was responding precisely to the blame issue. As you so aptly put - scapegoating. Even if we could apply blame appropriately (i.e. not the victims), that still won't have fixed anything.

Chris
  • "OK, but if you also won't let the government be responsible for recovery programs then who is left to try to make things better?"

Nobody. The essence of "scapegoat-ism" is just the mentality of holding someone responsible. Sometimes nobody is responsible. Sometime shit just happens. Sometimes you get dealt a shitty hand.

I guess in the end, it's just up to all of us on an individual level to make the best out of our situations.

We're letting our world get out of control, there just aren't going to be enough resources and jobs in the future to support our ravenous population. We all need to practice person responsibility. The most selfish people are often the ones that are pointing fingers and calling others selfish. I guess you could say that we're all to blame.
  • @bwhitz

Are you implying with the IQ issue that welfare should go to intelligent people, or stupid people?

Chris
  • But history teaches that when things are bad "Laissez-faire" policies don't work. If you can find an example where they did (help in bad times, that is) I'd like to know about it. On the other side of the argument we have the great depression. I think we need to differentiate responsibility for the problem and responsibility for a solution - the former is usually called "blame".

Chris
  • "Are you implying with the IQ issue that welfare should go to intelligent people, or stupid people?"

Well, obviously intelligent people... that's pretty easy. There are allot of poor smart people, regardless of race, gender, ect.. Don't you think they deserve more of a chance than a dumb person that won't even be capable of helping other people in the future?

It's in everyone's best interest to reward intelligence... smart people are going to be the ones to take us from a type-0 civilization, to a type-1. And then we won't have to worry about energy and resources any more... at least in theory. This transition is also the most dangerous ones a planetary-wide species can make... we need to make decisions very carefully.

This is a good watch...

• All I can say is "Ugggh". Too Ayn Rand-ish for me. I guess compassion (which is supposed to be unconditional) has become a vice. I guess if you develop Alzheimers some day we'll dump you in a wood chipper because you have nothing left to contribute. We'll give all your money to a younger poor person who has a high IQ.

Chris
  • I'm sorry but if you (this means anyone) don't think racism has anything to do with the numbers then that's your ignorance. CBRandin's initial post was spot on. Things have not changed. We still have more black men incarcerated at a rate six and a half times higher than white men in the good old USA. For a people who make up only 12.3% of the country's total population (down from 14.8 % in 2000) your telling me statistics still show young black unemployment at 46 percent? Out of those numbers people (like one of our posters here) can determine that represents "lazy" people "suckling taxpayer's tits?" What a "lazy" remark. That's the problem with this country. People see what they want to see and turn a blind eye to truth. Nothing can be further from the truth.

Let's look at some OTHER stats (from 2008):

We are more women than men. (What the heck happened to all of the black men?)

MONEY

The annual median income of black households in 2008 is $34,218, a decline of 2.8 percent (in 2008 constant dollars) from 2007. It’s the lowest in the United States.

Black median family income was just over $41,000 in 2008, the lowest in the United States of any racial group. That's a dam shame. A single black woman with children earned a median annual income of $25,958. How, in an economy like we have today, can they expect people to pull through with numbers like this.

No surprise then that one out of five black families lives in poverty. More than 40 percent of black families headed by a single mom are poor.

IMMIGRANTS

Only 3 million African Americans are immigrants. Of that number, nearly two-thirds were born in Latin America, the other one-third of the immigrants were born in Africa. My family emigrated here when I was young. My parents busted their &$$ just to make ends meet.

Only 7 percent of us speak a language other than English.

MILITARY

Number of black military veterans in the United States in 2008: 2.3 million. More military veterans are black than any other minority group. And yes...I'm also a vet.

What's wrong with this picture? Some of the greatest minds in our history and in our present are/were black folks. Yet the country can't even embrace the black president they put in office. All respect went out the door once he was placed in office. I've spent a few years out in Europe some years back and couldn't believe how they thought about black people (in this country mind you) as being the same "lazy" (fill in the blank:______________) shiftless people that some here thinks. And guess what...they (Europeans) admitted that they got this impression off of....you guessed it...the media.

I'll ask again...what the hell is wrong with this picture?

US racism/slavery is alive and kicking in the 21st century. If you didn't know....you better ask somebody.

• Thinking about history many parallels between today and 1934-1936 can be drawn. Starting in about 1934 there was a "new conservative" movement that was in reaction to the government's recovery efforts (which, by then were working quite well). It's astonishing how similar their rhetoric was to what I hear today: "Welfare is bad", "the government needs to stop spending", "social assistance programs motivate people to not work", etc..., etc....

I highly doubt "which, by then were working quite well" part.

What happened was that these "new conservatives" gained considerable power in 1936 and the recovery stopped immediately and we slipped right back into depression - it was called the "recession within the depression". Within two years the "new conservatives" had totally discredited themselves, government programs went back into effect, and recovery started once again never looking back.

"and recovery started once again never looking back" - same shit.
    It had been war and fast growing of related jobs, and not fall of "new conservatives".
    Generally, war had been result of the accumulated problems and it had been arranged and used as solution.
  • "All I can say is "Ugggh". Too Ayn Rand-ish for me. I guess compassion (which is supposed to be unconditional) has become a vice. guess if you develop Alzheimers some day we'll dump you in a wood chipper because you have nothing left to contribute."

I didn't realize we were talking about what is "nice" for everyone. I though we were having a logical, scientific, and objective discussion on what the problems of our world are, and what will be the best course of action to solve them. I haven't though once about what would happen to me if I got Alzheimer's, or what I would expect people to to for me... that would be extremely self-centered of me when we're talking about "society of a whole".

Everyone is equal. The government should give us $20 million dollars a year. Doctor's should cure every disease. ... see those SOUND good and WOULD be good. But they are not solutions, or even plausible on any level right now. We've got to look at objective facts. We need solutions that work for people regardless of their personal emotions and experiences... that is the only way we'll get to solutions that will benefit humanity as a whole in the end.
  • @VK

Not true - the recovery recommenced well before our involvement in WWII, in started back up in 1938. \War helped later - true. But I don't think we want WWIII to be our solution. Why aren't our current wars helping the economy?

• Reagan-Bush era information.

Basically, welfare (AFDC) and food-stamps at $25 billion apiece added up to $50 billion dollars out of $2.5 trillion dollars in federal and state budgets, or 2%.

Out of a ten trillion dollar economy that's roughly 1/2 of 1% of America's GDP for welfare and food-stamps.

With Clinton era economic expansion, Clinton-Gingrich welfare cuts, and now Bush Jr. of course, it is no doubt even smaller as a percentage.
  • @bwhitz

I understand your point of view - I just don't agree. Compassion-less government policies I don't think are necessary or even good. It's social darwinism, and I'm not a big fan. I don't think it works, either.
  • @Ian_T "People see what they want to see and turn a blind eye to truth. Nothing can be further from the truth. "

Ah ha! See, even you! KCG said "lazy people". You connected your own dots and assumed he meant "lazy black people". Race has nothing to do with this!

"Things have not changed. We still have more black men incarcerated at a rate six and a half times higher than white men in the good old USA."

Again, race doesn't have anything to do with this. Any race could have been committing more crimes than another at the time these statistics were taken. At the rate things are going it'll probably be white people committing more crimes in the future, as black people seem to be more entrepreneurial, especially with entertainment industries. In 100 years, it could be all black CEO's running companies and white people being discriminated against. Or we'll all be one mixed race or something... who knows.
  • >Not true - the recovery recommenced well before our involvement in WWII, in 1938.

Nope. True.
    Different research exist on the topic.
    And one guys blames politics for spending too much, others blame for excessive regulation at certain periods that caused problems, many blame for contrary citing not enough regulation and not enough spending, otherwise it'll work. But most agree that real sustainable recovery didn't happen until war related jobs started to emerge.
  • This is an interesting debate. I have to go out for a while now. I just mention this so that nobody will conclude anything from my absence for a few hours. I like debating.
  • @cbrandin

I don't even think a conclusion can be reached... there are no right and wrong answers to anything! I think that's the real problem!

But, yea, it's been interesting. Now I'm in my philosophy mode again... damn it. I like it better when all I think about is making movies and beer.