Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
What is the proper way to store a lens?
  • barrel end pointed up or down? I've never gotten a clear answer.

• 7 Replies sorted by
  • Please just do a simple search. We really need to stop the bloating of forums with repeat questions again and again without taking 5 sec to search for it.

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/3736/how-do-you-store-your-gearrigs/p1

• I did a search, but these are different questions. Maybe I should have been clearer. I'm not asking where to put the lenses; I'm asking what is the best way to physically store them on a shelf (for instance) to ensure a long working life. Is it better for the wide end of the barrel to be pointed up or down? If this question still belongs in the other forum, then I will post it there.

• Did you actually read through any of the threads? It is there. I know for a fact.

• you directed me to a page asking what people buy to store and transport their gear. My specific question is not answered there. I typed "lens storage" in the search engine and went through ten pages of not seeing any topic similar to what I asked.

• On a shelf, I would say wide side (front) down for stability. Still, probably not as good as storing it in a proper case with padding.

• As said before: in an airtight container and with dessicant to keep it all dry and fungus-free.

• Right, but I'm mainly worried about oil on the aperture blades. Does it matter which way it's pointed for this? I just had an old Leica lens from the 50's serviced, and the guy told me to never store it with the aperture stopped down. I was wondering if there are other tips like this.