Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Steadicam and alternatives
  • Hey guys, I'm trying to incorporate shots that are on moving vehicles, such as train, bus, or car, and I don't want any vibrations to show in the footage (single camera operator). For a gh3, what's a reasonable setup that will work? What's appropriate, movi-type or steady cam type of setup?

Thanks!

• 8 Replies sorted by
  • I think it needs consulting of pros who made such shots. As if you need really steady shots without bumps and such it can cost you quite a money.

• Do you need to pull focus? If not, go for something like a glidecam. It is compact, relatively cheap. If you need to pull focus as a single camera operator, it will be tough but possible with remote motors and fingerwheel focus knob like from Redrock or RTMotion.

• @jfilmmaker if you want, send me a pm with details about the type of shots you like to incorporate. I am working such setups as well just with larger cams for a documentary.

• For sure, thx - I want to be pretty flexible, but for now, I'm just looking for smoothness, not necessarily a focus pull. Working on a feature documentary that will incorporate a lot of smooth, slow motion style shots in traffic, and on busses, likely following a single character, or shooting out of the front window onto the street from a car on the highway. Is glidecam good for this? I'm trying to eliminate that shaky vibration feeling. Thx!

• a 3-axis gimbal stabilizer is probably smoother, but also more expensive and less flexible regarding weight (different lenses, accessories). Such a thing also needs power. For documentary style shooting, I usually carry my glidecam with me to throw a GH3 or 5D on it quickly. IT is quite smooth if you balance it properly and have some practice with it.

Currently, I am looking into the Flowcine G-1. That thing looks interesting as well, because it is so flexible and works with different set ups etc.

• @Tobsen Which Glidecam are you using for Gh3?

• VK lists stabilisers for sale in his deals threads on this forum, check them out.

Is where I purchased my Laing P-03 MC for my Panasonic GH1 from.