Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.

6 Nikon to NEX adapters.

I won’t bore you with another 20 graphs that look pretty much like these. We tried Leica to NEX and Leica to Micro 4/3 adapters, Canon to NEX, etc. We tried different lenses on one adapter. It didn’t really matter. None of them would be acceptable for testing. Not one.

I’ll point out that we carry only name-brand, fairly expensive adapters, not eBay $29 adapters. All of them are tested frequently and used frequently and none of the ones I tested today had any problems.

Videographers are the primary users of adapters, and probably won’t notice the problems at all. Video and cinema cameras shoot at lower resolution (even 4K video) than photography and tend to concentrate on center-frame so they’re unlikely to see a problem.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013/09/there-is-no-free-lunch-episode-763-lens-adapters

k6.jpg
    749 x 688 - 107K
  • 2 Replies sorted by
  • Trend to large-format DSLRs and improved MTF potential - and possibility of almost perfect sharpness by downconversion within the camera (Wikipedia)

The Canon EOS 5D Mark II is believed to use only every third line, and hence suffers bad aliasing, as its optical filter is optimized for stills use.

but

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 may do some processing across pixels, producing very sharp images, but with some aliasing. Nevertheless, such cameras produce very impressive results, and appear to be leading the way in video production towards large-format downconversion with digital filtering becoming the standard approach to the realization of a flat MTF with true freedom from aliasing.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_transfer_function

Maybe all these adapter things need to be taken in the context of the particular lens/adapter/camera/FOV combination :-)

• Well, at least this should mean a +1 for MFT sensors (smaller >>> with less FOV)