Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Fotga DP3000 series matte boxes
  • Forga M1, simple matte box

Forga M2, advanced matte box

Good filter trays with rotation.

Forga M3, swing away pro matte box

Forga M4, pro matte box with bracket

dp3000_mb_m1.jpg
    593 x 582 - 40K
    dp3000_mb_m11.jpg
    592 x 554 - 41K
    dp3000_mb_m21.jpg
    593 x 576 - 42K
    dp3000_mb_m20.jpg
    588 x 526 - 41K
    dp3000_mb_m31.jpg
    582 x 553 - 38K
    dp3000_mb_m30.jpg
    595 x 523 - 38K
    dp3000_mb_m32.jpg
    588 x 479 - 30K
    dp3000_mb_m33.jpg
    593 x 577 - 44K
    dp3000_mb_m34.jpg
    585 x 571 - 31K
    dp3000_mb_m35.jpg
    593 x 534 - 35K
  • 69 Replies sorted by
  • You mean other models?

As for deals, I need to update all terms and also add new models, Hope to do in few days.

PM me if you want some specific thing.

• Are these still the best for the price? I'm seeing some for $65 on ebay and that's an awesome deal.

Is it true we can replace the filter holder to hold 4mm filters?

• Is there any good alternativ to fotga?

Not in this price range.

• @Thx. Is there any good alternativ to fotga?

• Skier IRNDs will fit but it is very tight, you need to put some pressure on it.

• Skiers ones with 2.9mm shall fit then.

• Thank you. That's good to know.

• I read about problems that some filter glasses such as tiffen might not fit into the brackets. That true? What about different nd faders?

Most Chinese MBs are made for 3mm filters or such, but not all. I have no idea about thickness of each and every filter.

• I read about problems that some filter glasses such as tiffen might not fit into the brackets. That true? What about different nd faders?

• I've got one of the matte boxes (not the 'swing away' type) and also the rig.

However, I find that even when I put the riser plate on the highest setting my GH2 still sits too low in the matte box, even when the matte is on it's lowest setting - yes the lens fits in but very much 'off centre'.

Would anyone know if a longer riser plate (for the rail/plate mount)? It's the thing on the right in the photo.

download.jpg
    300 x 202 - 6K
  • No one has even heard of Skier around here.

In this case it is best to check topic about them.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev -- you're saying it's easier to sell your filter collection and switch to a relatively unknown Chinese brand (as good as they may be), rather than try to find a universal filter tray? What about filmmakers with a whole set of Schneiders? I only have 2 so it isn't a huge deal for me, but in my area the serious filmmakers have large collections of Tiffen or Schneider 4x4s. No one has even heard of Skier around here.

This might be a good application for 3D printing... although I'd trust aluminum more with $300 pieces of glass.

• So you can't just buy a separate 4mm filter holder from another company and drop it into either the Fotga or Cinematics, then?

It is simpler to buy 3mm filter. As Skier was in stock they worked ok with them as I remember.

• Lol. So you can't just buy a separate 4mm filter holder from another company and drop it into either the Fotga or Cinematics, then?

• It is because in China all filters are 3mm :-)

• Thanks @Sangye.

I've heard that many of the Chinese-made filter trays, including the Fotga and TrusMT, can only hold filters that are 3mm, while the nicer glass filters are 4mm.

Ok, that's good to know. Do your Schneider filter rotate alright in the Cinematics?

• My Schneider filters just arrived. Unfortunately, they are too thick for the Fotga filter trays. They're just barely able to fit in the Cinematics trays. Right now I'm using the Cinematics trays in the Fotga matte box so that I can use these filters, but they don't rotate more than 90 degrees (-45 to +45), and they sit in there kind of awkwardly. Now I'm wondering if there is a sort of universal filter tray? Something with a higher build quality, ideally metal?

edit @fotosiamo that means that no, Fotga filter trays won't take 4mm filters. Bummed.

• Does that height adjuster work with the swing away mechanism? In the pictures it looks like it might not. Yeah I'd go with the Fotga if I were doing it over again.

• Cinematics do sell a height adjuster separately, too: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E37DXWI

• Haha, yeah, I guess not if it's broken/missing screws. So if you were to do it all over again, would you still opt for the Fotga instead of the Cinematics?

• @fotosiamo - Overall, hard to say. The Cinematics does feel a little more stable when locked, but the locking mechanism bent after a few months and wouldn't tighten down, so it's always rattling. That's fine on a tripod, but annoying as hell when I go handheld or am carrying it around on set. I don't know when it happened, and I may have dropped it or banged it into something, so I don't blame that on build quality. It's hard to fault the Cinematics for build quality. It's almost all metal, it took some abuse from me, and overall it held up pretty well. My specific issues with it besides the broken swing-away lock were that it was heavy, flags were always coming loose and swinging around, and I kept losing the screws that hold the flags on. They just come unscrewed too easily. So far I don't have any of those problems with the Fotga, but I don't think it'll stand up to quite as much abuse as I put the Cinematics through.

Like you say, the filter trays aren't great on either of them. They feel a little sturdier on the Fotga to me, but not by much and I could be wrong. I don't have a 4mm filter on hand, but it's supposed to be compatible. I have a Schneider Platinum IRND on the way, so I should be able to test it next week.

Bottom line: if you want a good, affordable, lightweight matte box, get the Fotga. Also get it if you need side rails, or height adjustment. If you NEED a sturdier matte box and are okay with paying more and having it weigh substantially more, while losing side rails and height adjustment, maybe better to get the Cinematics. Both are very good deals, but I'm happier with the Fotga than the Cinematics, mostly because of weight and height adjustment.

I could sell you my Cinematics AS-IS (with the bent swing-away latch and missing screws), but do you really want it, lol?

• @Sangye So you feel that the DP3000 M3 is an improvement over the Cinematics? I always thought the U-shape of the Cinematics give it more stability when the matte box is locked in compared to these one-side swing arm configurations.

Seems like both matteboxes have issues with their filter holders. Which one is the better of the two? Can either of accommodate 4mm thick glass filters or only 3mm filters?

Finally, are you selling your Cinematics, lol?

• My Fotga DP3000 M3 arrived today. So far, I'm impressed. Here are my initial thoughts, mostly as compared to the Cinematics box that I'm replacing.

Build quality is decent, considering how lightweight it is. It doesn't feel like it's going to break, but I do worry about scratching hard plastic components. There already is a scratch mark on the inside.

The swing away arm is very robust and well designed, but the latching mechanism feels a little finnicky. It's a tiny screw that feels like it could get lost or bent fairly easily. I like the design of the swing-away mechanism overall, though, especially the height adjustment mechanism. Brilliant!

The side mount for 15mm rails is nice, I just wish it matched up with my super sexy Easom Optics cinema cage. Even so, I'm already using it to hold a short rod with a hot shoe adapter, for mounting my shotgun mic. Nice.

The flags are wonderfully minimalistic and lightweight. They don't make my whole unbalanced like the ones on my Cinematics matte box do. They also don't feel like they're going to pull loose and swing around, like the Cinematics ones tended to do. My one complaint is that you need an allen wrench to tighten them -- the Cinematics design had problems, but what was nice is that you didn't need a tool to tighten anything.

The filter trays are simply mediocre. There is a lot of resistance on the rotating one, and you have to almost completely unscrew the locking screw in order to release them, which feels like another component that could easily get lost. They do lock down tight though, and don't seem quite as chintzy as some other brands do.

The donut rings are thicker than I expected, which I actually really like. They aren't going to get torn, bent, or flop out of the matte box. They sit in there very snugly, and do their job perfectly well.

It was nice of them to include a set of 12" rods. They are lightweight and feel as strong as any I've ever used. I already have replaced a pair of heavy steel rods that I was using on top of my rig with these.

I wish they would have used metal knobs for all of the tightening mechanisms. Most of them are, but the side and bottom rod tensioners are plastic, as are the knobs for adjusting height. I don't understand why, their follow focus has nice metal rod tensioners so why not use these on the matte box too? And the side one is ridiculously oversized. Why? I don't hate it, I just don't understand why it has to be so big and so... plastic.

Overall, it looks really sharp. Let's be honest, for those of us using big 4x4 matte boxes with smaller cameras, at least part of the reason is to look more professional. I thought that my Cinematics matte box looked good, but I like the design on this one even better.

• I've been able to put the Mattebox on a practical test last week during a feature shoot with BMPCC and it worked like a charm. I own the swing-away version and for the price point I think it's a nobrainer. General built quality is pretty good but you shouldn't expect top of the notch quality. The mattebox itself is made of well built plastic, the flags and mounting clamp are made of andonized aluminum. Unfortunately there are still some cheap plastic screws that lower the general feel a little bit. The swing away works good, even if I've the impression that it'd be more solid without it. The side mount for 15mm Rods is not very useful as you can't lock the rods inside it, at least I didn't figure out how. I like the filter trays as you can fit any type of 4x4 filter, it doesn't matter if its a thin resin or a massive glas filter. Filter rotation and position locking works also like it should. The only real drawback are the donuts, as they aren't made for lenses with a rather small front diameter (<58-60mm). But you can solve this by using universal donut bags (e.g. Kamerar) or attaching step ups on your lenses. You also will probably need a heigth adjustable base as I don't believe fotga is using any standard distance.