Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Two-Pass Sharpening
  • PP CS5 has Unsharp mask and Sharpen effects. I'm sure other editors support the effects, too.

How do you guys use the effects? At what settings?

Apply after transcoding to intermediate format like ProRes or DNxHD?

Apply before/after color/exposure/curve correction?

Apply before/after denoising effect?

TIA
  • 38 Replies sorted by
  • Chroma blur is quite a standard effect, useful for smoothing out green/blue screen video for keying. Not really useful for sharpening. Does Vegas have a luma sharpening effect?
  • @bimdas. "I don't know why someone hasn't released a simple plugin that applies sharpening to the luma channel without going through all the steps yet"

Sony Vegas Pro has Chroma Blur and sharpen tools as standard plugins.
  • "power" photoshop users usually convert their images to lab color space and then only do sharpening to the L or luma channel. This is so the sharpening doesn't affect the color channel which causes image artifacts like haloing and color fringing. Here's a way to do the same for video using after effects http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/cmg_keyframes/story/luma_processing/
    I don't know why someone hasn't released a simple plugin that applies sharpening to the luma channel without going through all the steps yet.
  • Recovering overblown highlight details from GH2... I doubt it. Is that possible?

I can recover the overblown highlight details on RAW photos from GH2. But not sure about mts files.
  • @stonebat Also if you are grading in PremierePro make sure you go into your sequence settings and turn on "Maximum Bit Depth" to use 32 bits per channel. If you want to recover ultra-whites (i.e. >100IRE), then I'd recommend you do that before noise reduction as the denoising plugin might clip to 100IRE.

(I don't think the GH2 will record >100IRE, but the older DV25 cams used to record up to 110IRE and you could recover another 10% of highlights in post by pulling the highlights down - check your scopes!).
  • That sounds logical. Thanks.
  • @stonebat That's the order I usually do things in. If my grading makes it look like I want some noise reduction then I add a denoise to the top of the effect panel.
  • Thanks @sam_stickland.

Adjusting contrast/exposure/curve do affect how much noise I wanna get rid of. e.g. crushing black by adjusting curve, changing mid-tone gray.

Hmmm... how would this work out? Bad idea?

- apply contrast/exposure/curve first
    - apply denoising second
    - move denoising effect to top of the effects panel.
  • @stonebat. Yup, the order of the effects in the clip (top to bottom) is the order they are applied in.
  • How to keep the order of effects?

There's Effects Panel in PP CS5. It lists effects from top to bottom. Is that the order of effects being applied on clip?

If I drag one effect and move it between other effects, does it change the order of effects?
  • A little sharpening after a light pass thru Mercalli Pro V2 is in my workflow, fast and a lifesaver. GH1/2 image is so sharp one can afford a little crop and zoom.
  • @Mihuel I will ask you. Thanks!
  • @sam_stickland +1. A shoulder rig is a must. The warp stabilizer for "low-frequency" shakes as OIS does.
  • I've found the warp stabilizer works fine if you set it to "No Motion" to create locked-off shots, but so far it's "Smooth motion" is creating a really weird warping effect for me, like the entire image is rippling. It's odd - it's seems perhaps the "Subspace warp" mode works best with "No Motion", but not with "Smooth Motion". But only the "Subspace Warp" mode lets you do the rolling shutter compensation.

I think it's still always best to stabilise as much as you can on set, (obviously!) and the Warp Stabilizer should only be used to rescue or very slightly improve shots. So far, I'm not that impressed.
  • @stonebat
    I'd use Warp Stabilizer after noise reduction, and before color correction and sharpening.
  • I have no idea where the warp stabilizer would fit into the workflow. It seems it does more than just cropping.
  • @stonebat
    Planning on trying out AE5.5 Warp Stabilizer in my next post-production session...
  • When she would come to this strange world, will be one of the few things that I publish and praise in the video format :-). @stonebat Thanks a lot, I saw the video of your daughter and I felt such joy that I can feel what you feel :-). By Vitaliy we can communicate in this community and exchange experiences. If you have any questions about the sound, I'm happy to help. This is my domain
  • @LPowell how's AE 5.5's image stabilization?
  • Congrats!!!

I got two kids. Together weigh 80 lbs. 10 lbs rig feels like a feather to me :)
  • @stonebat
    I know that would be offtopic but this (SHE) become moonlighting :
  • @Mihuel
    Audio integration in the Adobe Creative Suite workflow has always been awkward. With CS5.5, however, Adobe has finally ported Audition to the Mac and fully integrated it with Premiere Pro, a big upgrade from the now discontinued Soundbooth.
  • Oh dual system audio.

Hobby could become moonlighting :)
  • @stonebat
    It is maybe strange but I don't use CS5 for audio. I always I export a *. wav sound (48Khz 24bit) to Cubase and use Waves plagins . I use to sync *. avi files of low quality. Then, I import the renered material to PPCS 5. My videos are amateur productions for internal use :-). This is just a hobby, not to go crazy :-)
  • @LPowell Neat Video noise profile sounds like a good idea.

Last night I found out that I don't have to use Magic Bullet Looks presets. I applied individual effects and save them as my custom preset in MBL.