Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Sony FDR-AX1 4K pro camera, $4500
  • 47 Replies sorted by
  • The phoblographer site is reporting some different specs then stated above (or at digitalcamerareview's site). They're stating you can output to 4096x2160 and the price is $1000 lower than stated, $3499 in mid October. I'm guessing they rushed the facts but I like their slant better ;-)

• Looks like a very interesting camera and I look forward to trying it, as well as whatever Canon comes up with as an answer. Strong move by Sony. The sensor seems a bit on the small side, but Sony has a pretty good track record with sensors recently. Ideally on this cam at this price point I would like to see a lens that is a little faster and a little wider.

• Debayering to HD is not the same when it comes from a 4K chip with independent RGB channels, than when it comes from a HD chip with loss of resolution due to debayering and color averaging

Problem is that debayering algorithms are quite well known. And most of the chips used today have higher resolution than video output. Hence, despite Canon advertisments is not the main thing responsible for color quality and accuracy. Much more important are color filters and all color adjustment magic.

Even worse is that ALL of your audience will be viewing your product at 420 color, hence all this averaging claims are mostly bullshit.

• @AK Debayering to HD is not the same when it comes from a 4K chip with independent RGB channels, than when it comes from a HD chip with loss of resolution due to debayering and color averaging. Listen I suspect we are in an unproductive semantics battle, so white flag. I surrender.

Also, your point about needed carefully chosen lenses for 4K is very important.

• @vapourtrail

You have many good sharp (4K) lenses for 1/2.3" sensors?

• @MikeLinn Agreed, very strong move. Having owned an HVX, I didn't really find a single zoom lens suits my style. Great for ENG or as Sony says "everyone will be able to document important family moments, get creative with friends" but for my uses (music video/web series) I would rather use my own lenses on such a body. By dropping the lens and placing a interchangeable lens mount they would save $$ on production. My point was I'd still pay the same money without the lens.

• ability to discriminate between closely matched colors

Can you make some more strict definition?

has more color resolution than many 10 bit cameras because the debayering does not destroy or average color information.

Hmm, do you mean that it's sensor has higher resolution? As debayering is really almost the same across all cameras.

• @AK ability to discriminate between closely matched colors. Not necessary bit depth, for example Canon EOS sensor is processed at 8 bit but has more color resolution than many 10 bit cameras because the debayering does not destroy or average color information.

• Very strong move from Sony.

@vapourtrail

Any reason to request interchangeable lens for such camera?

• Curious at 1080 no higher fps than 60. Still, nice camera. I'd pay the same $$ for the same specs but in an interchangeable lens body.

• yes, you will see more resolution, but perceived sharpness is also a function of color depth and contrast.

And? What is "color depth"?

• @VK yes, you will see more resolution, but perceived sharpness is also a function of color depth and contrast.

• Sony will include 32GB XQD card and a full copy of Vegas Pro 12. :-)

• @leonbeas

Downsized picture will certainly look better, and it has high bitrates. :-)

And no, 4K is very easy noticeable even at 32", just sit closer.

• @leonbeas That made me laugh, especially having just bought the BMCC and now I need to upgrade my mac to run Da Vinci!

• Rather have 2k 4:2:2 10 bit, than 4K 4:0:0 8 bit. bet it would scale int a better image, even at high res.

• It's amazing how technology is evolving. Said that, A smile draws in my face when I imagine, people buying this and wowing the image quality and frames per second, image stabilization and then. KABOOM, HUGE DESILUSION.... :-)

• Not enough hard drives (forget backups) buy some, time in coding transcoding editing multiplying, need new pc, buy one. Ouch can't see my footage at real size, buy a 4k pc monitor and an 4k ULTRAHD tv. This hypothetical guy/company makes a huge effort to change to 4k, every inversion done UUFFF, he/they made it.

Just for realizing that the difference between "old" fullhd only shows off at screens bigger than 80" or cinema with 4k digital projectors, and wait, its and ENG/DOCU camera. Probably never going to get to cinema room this footage. And the amount of people that has ULTRA HD 80" tv's are so few...

Well at least it's a future proof investment is't it?

It may very well be, yes. But probability says that this economic/social system will no last for long. This model of industrial growing is about to collapse, and even speculating more ( ;-) ) if we get to the time when every home has an 4K ULTRA HDTV, the visible difference between 4K to a good FULL HD in a 80" or big screen is minimal.

What industry is trying to make, Its like changing your BMW with a FERRARI to go from home to work bigger and better... But they don't say what implications are behind a Ferrari do they.

GREETINGS TO ALL

• I disagree, ENG work requires deep depth of field to handle fast breaking situations.

• Sounds like the next gen ENG cam.

I hope Panasonic aim to compete for this market.

A GH3 style body with simlar codec options and working video IBIS would be great