Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH1 Stable 24p Setting
  • 58 Replies sorted by
  • Ah, I see the "bush of death".......LOL

So, why would I want to increase the buffer to 84?? And, why would I want to change the GOP to 6 or 3??

Just curious as to why some are already making changes to the patch?? Are you seeing any increases in detail?? Or bit rate??
    I haven't had a crash with this patch yet-in fact, I tried to crash it with whip pans and rapid zoom, while filming the "rocks of death"(what we have for lawn here-rocks-live in the desert), and stuffed animals.
    I've also used this indoors filming various scenes-no crashes.
    But, I have a "real" Sandisk extreme III card. I'd love to find some more-but each time I see them online, they are the wrong part number-they're the "new" UHS-I HD Video cards, which IMHO are junk/rip-off. Probably going with a Kingston class 10 for now, and call it good, if I can't find anymore of the "legacy" class 10 Sandisk cards.
  • @LPowell
    That looks like a cedar bush of death. What lens did you use? I have been using the kit 14-140 lens along with some Canon FD lenses all from f1.4 to f22 @1/50-125. I also use smooth film mode dialed down to -2,-2,0,-2, and have used ND filters (matte box 4x4) and without and had good sucess. I guess my Canadian Cedar trees may be a bit softer and don't have the same affect as yours :).

I appreciate your great work you having doing in trying to get us all the best patches we can have for the GH cameras. I really hoped this one would be a stable version for all, but it seems like its not. I wonder if there are some tweaks that are available to the GH2 ptools that might help us find a better patch. I relize that they are enterly different codec by perhaps sometime new tweaks can be shared. I can only hope for the better.
  • @rigs
    I shot the bush with a Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 set at f4. It's a very sharp lens, though the 14-140mm is also quite sharp when stopped down. I've checked out the patches available in PTools 3.62d, and they appear to work the same as earlier pre-GH2 patches did.

I did notice that you changed Framerate Related Comparison from 30 to 24, suggesting it may have an effect on Native 24p mode? When I experimented with this patch some time ago, I couldn't determine what effect it had.

Other patches that remain a mystery are Encoder Setting 1-3...
  • @LPowell
    "Other patches that remain a mystery are Encoder Setting 1-3... "
    I have no idea what they do either, I have played with them a bit but dont understand what they relate to myself.
  • The lens that for me crashes reliably is the Panny 20mm. Set it and forget it.
  • Used these settings to do a show with almost no light and was pretty happy with the results. This video is a rough edit and has no color correction. Shot with a gh1 and a t2i. The gh1 is on the left side of the band next to the drummer.
  • Looks good blah_dogs.
    Didyou use my original settings or a mod version
  • buffer was at 84 and gop 6