Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
GH2 IR Filtering and How to Achieve Clean Shadows
  • For the most part I am very happy with the latest crop of hacks. I think they are squeezing about as much juice from the GH2 fruit as possible, but two areas I still am curious about.

Today I was testing with Tiffen Standard Hot Mirror. I will try to post some results in the coming days but two things jumped out at me. Black fabrics were contaminated with or without the hot mirror and as usual were also a bit noisy which is something this camera suffers from. The noise I can deal with in post, especially when I capture a nice accurate profile of it on set. Makes the job in post that much easier.

But I'm curious what people have experienced with IR solutions. In my arsenal, I currently have a Tiffen hot mirror, Tiffen IRND 1.5, 1.8, 2.1 as well as Pancro IRND 1.2 and 1.5. I have only tested with the Tiffen filters. Haven't tried my Pancros yet.

I also need to test more materials under various lighting.

I'd love to hear from people who have done this testing already so I can compare notes.

• 1 Reply sorted by
  • Check this: http://www.dvinfo.net/optical-science/one-set-of-nd-filters-to-rule-them-all.html

It seems like most filters suffer from color shifts..