Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
The Magnetist, a short documentary about cassette tape obsession, Flow Motion v2.02
  • 33 Replies sorted by
  • i'm a vinyl addict, i'm sorry to disapoint but in my opinion , tapes were a big mistake. but i love any support-material guy addict even if it's tape :)

• this is how you make a documentary. its thoughtful. well shot. well framed. good sound. artistic.

well done.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev If I'm not mistaken @5thWall did a short on vinyl and posted it somewhere. Not sure where though.

• @vicharris - thanks for the mention on that. Yes, I did a short doc on the vinyl resurgence in LA for KCRW, a local radio station in LA. It's called On the Record: L.A. Vinyl. Here's the link to the article and the better-encoded version on Vimeo.

http://blogs.kcrw.com/whichwayla/2012/02/finding-treasure-las-vinyl-resurgence

Also, I don't mean to detract from the OP by posting my shorts on this thread. I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed The Magnetist. Amazing work. Really liked the sound mix, too. When watching, I could tell within the first two shots that @Alfaerik knows his s**t. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

• Thanks everyone for your comments!

@5thwall Thanks a lot! I really enjoyed your short doc too. Great work! I saw in the comments that you used warp stabilizer a lot, I couldn't see that in the video (I often think you get strange movements in the picture when it's used). I like the work with the glidecam and edit and colors and it's always interesting hearing passionate people talk about their things.

@neokoo We filmed it during four different days. One day interview, another day where Micke showed us how he interacts with tapes, the day of the club and the day after. You could say that some shots are "staged" in the way that I asked him to show us different stuff (how do you work when... Show us...), and when you want to have clips of him walking etc. During the club we had two cameras filming constantly. So most of it is "as happened". But then sometimes you change the order of events etc to create some kind of dramaturgy.

• Thanks for the info @Alfaerik! As others have said, great work :)

• @Alfaerik Yes, I know what you're talking about with warp stabilizer. I found that it works best with shots that are already somewhat stabilized. I used it mostly when I had the camera on the Glidecam. Can't remember if I used it on any handheld shots, though. The warping is definitely there, but I guess I lucked out that it's not very noticeable :).

These days, I've been using Lock & Load a lot. It's very fast inside FCPX and produces some really nice results.